Under New Ownership - Midlands Hurricanes

15 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Most people in Birmingham don't support a team called Birmingham...

Spot on

11 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

Birmingham City FC 

Most people in Birmingham do not support Birmingham FC or any other team called Birmingham

• Like 2

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

17 minutes ago, Bearman said:

Spot on

Most people in Birmingham do not support Birmingham FC or any other team called Birmingham

Not saying you’re wrong (you’re not) but aren’t the Warwickshire Cricket side Birmingham in the T20? Not that the whole of Birmingham suddenly supports them when they are. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jughead said:

Not saying you’re wrong (you’re not) but aren’t the Warwickshire Cricket side Birmingham in the T20? Not that the whole of Birmingham suddenly supports them when they are. 

They are yes, as are the Birmingham Phoenix in the Hundred. Up to you if that means much!

Both are dwarfed by Villa and West Brom though of course, and Warwickshire are still Warwickshire CCC. 

As I believe you also agree, its an overly simplistic claim to say "call it Birmingham and it'll do better!"

• Like 2

3 hours ago, The Daddy said:

I'm reading a post from someone on here not from Birmingham that said he would never support a team called Birmingham (despite the club now being located in Birmingham), or words to that effect. That is just ignorant and those views shouldn't be catered too.

Yea I guess this one's to me then.

I had a season ticket at the scorpions for year 1 at the gnoll and continued to keep tabs on them after I moved to Cov. Right up until they became the ironmen. Why cos that wasn't my team. And look how that went.

Cov bears were a solid local club. With fans in cov and I accepted the rebrand (begrudgingly) as it was about spreading the net and expanding. To call me ignorant is hilarious when what your calling for, in a specific name is actually non expansionist at all. It's a totally new club as if Coventry had failed. 

I see the hurricanes as that the bears outgrew cov and needed to realign themselves to grow to the next level.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Anita Bath said:

Redcliffe, where the Dolphins club is based, is not part of Brisbane so i suppose its like having a team in stretford calling themselves Manchester United.

It is a borough or municipality of Brisbane. We’ve all been through this before. When I ask the odd that says they’re from Brisbane, I like to ask them where Redcliffe is. Overwhelmingly, the answer is it’s North Brisbane or the North of Brisbane. 

Edited by Sports Prophet
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Sports Prophet said:

It is a borough or municipality of Brisbane. We’ve all been through this before. When I ask the odd that says they’re from Brisbane, I like to ask them where Redcliffe is. Overwhelmingly, the answer is it’s North Brisbane or the North of Brisbane. 

Interested readers might consult the city of redcliffe’s website.

It is certainly north of Brisbane and certainly not part of Brisbane.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

The most important thing (as always with this sort of club), is what’s happening with player development?

What’s the pathway? Does it start from scratch with the move from Coventry to Perry Barr? 

I believe it does not start from scratch. As Bearman stated, the ambition with the Hurricanes is to have them sit atop the whole midlands RL pyramid so to speak, with amateur teams across the region filtering into them. That includes the amateur Coventry Bears too.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, The Daddy said:

"the name  " Birmingham" polled as being quite toxic whilst " Midlands" was largely seen as neutral without any baggage".

I honestly think this is a mistake. I'm getting the impression that people from across the Midlands, from say Coventry had a say on the name of a club that will now be in Birmingham.

I'm reading a post from someone on here not from Birmingham that said he would never support a team called Birmingham (despite the club now being located in Birmingham), or words to that effect. That is just ignorant and those views shouldn't be catered too.

The reality of the situation is that the vast majority of the potential and immediate support base IS IN BIRMINGHAM, so those potential and casual supporters in Birmingham are more important than the handful in Coventry or elsewhere. Trying to be 'neutral' and appease everyone never works and it won't in this case. I hope the new ownership seriously thinks about this. 

That’s right, they shouldn’t have consulted the existing fans, but rather do what someone on an Internet forum who doesn’t go to the games and doesn’t live in the area thinks 👌

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

The most important thing (as always with this sort of club), is what’s happening with player development?

What’s the pathway? Does it start from scratch with the move from Coventry to Perry Barr? 

Hopefully the development continues in Coventry and new developments are put in place within the city of Birmingham i.e schools and grassroots community clubs etc.

13 hours ago, Anita Bath said:

Redcliffe, where the Dolphins club is based, is not part of Brisbane so i suppose its like having a team in stretford calling themselves Manchester United.

A better example would be that of a team in macclesfield calling themselves Manchester in terms of equivalent distance.

8 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Redcliffe is a city/suburb within the Moreton bay region 17 miles away from the Brisbane CBD according to Wikipedia.

Personally I don’t see a problem with the dolphins being known as the Moreton bay dolphins and would sincerely hope that the club eventually reverts to this name as well as playing out of an expanded moreton daily stadium within the city of Redcliffe.

Edited by Tosh

13 hours ago, The Daddy said:

Not a fan of having clubs without place names. The Dolphins is an example, what's wrong with Brisbane Dolphins or North Brisbane Dolphins? 

I agree and disagree with you at the same time mate.

I don’t agree with you that the dolphins should be known as the Brisbane dolphins or the north Brisbane dolphins but I do agree with your overall main point that a team should have a place name within its prefix.

The dolphins being known as just the “dolphins” is in my opinion ridiculous. There’s even talk of a potential NRL team based in Perth combined with the north Sydney bears being simply known as the “Bears.”

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tosh said:

Redcliffe is a city/suburb within the Morton bay region 17 miles away from the Brisbane CBD according to Wikipedia.

Personally I don’t see a problem with the dolphins being known as the Morton bay dolphins and would sincerely hope that the club eventually reverts to this name as well as playing out of an expanded moreton daily stadium within the city of Redcliffe l

No chance….the bid was predicated on getting weekly games instead of biweekly games in Suncorp…they wont have many folks heading up to Moreton bay from Brisbane so a redcliffe based team would be largely limited to drawing on the moreton bay and sunshine coast community.

It is quicker by train to get from Brisbane to Robina stadium (gold coast) and the station is right by the stadium.

At moreton bay you have a half hour brisk hike to get from the station (kiparing) to the stadium.

Redcliffe is the Leigh of the NRL…no train station😊

The train fare is ‘free’ with your match ticket when travelling to Robina. Not clear if train fare to kipparing will be included in the ticket price for the 4 games at Redcliffe.

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Anita Bath said:

No chance….the bid was predicated on getting weekly games instead of biweekly games in Suncorp…they wont have many folks heading up to Moreton bay from Brisbane so a redcliffe based team would be largely limited to drawing on the moreton bay and sunshine coast community.

It is quicker by train to get from Brisbane to Robina stadium (gold coast) and the station is right by the stadium.

At moreton bay you have a half hour brisk hike to get from the station (kiparing) to the stadium.

Redcliffe is the Leigh of the NRL…no train station😊

The train fare is ‘free’ with your match ticket when travelling to Robina. Not clear if train fare to kipparing will be included in the ticket price for the 4 games at Redcliffe.

The current population of the moreton bay region is 480k with a projected population of around 600k by 2030 and 700k by 2040.

This is more than enough people of that region to draw upon for supporting the dolphins without depending on travelling fans from the Brisbane area.

In fact there’s a strong enough argument to be made that the south East Queensland region could easily host another NRL franchise or maybe even 2 from within the actual city of Brisbane itself and the western corridor region between Ipswich and Logan.

especially with the population of the Brisbane region set to increase by over 1 million people by 2040.

Edited by Tosh