Wheelchair Rugby League Taster sessions - come and try.....

Domestic Wheelchair Rugby League is in full flow following the success of the national side at the recent World Cup.

Cardiff Blue Dragons, North Wales Crusaders and Torfaen Tigers confirm taster sessions whilst West Wales Raiders are looking to confirm some sessions in the coming weeks.

Cardiff, who are coached by former Wales head coach, Alana Sargent, will be running three free taster sessions on Wednesday 21st December, 4th and 18th January, 5:15-6:45pm out of the Cardiff City House of Sport. For more information on these sessions, contact: cardiffwheelchairrl@gmail.com.

Torfaen Tigers, coached by former Wales assistant coach, Lyndon Price, will be running free sessions every Friday, 7-9pm at the Pontypool Leisure Centre. For more information on these sessions, contact: lprice42@hotmail.com.

Up in North Wales, the Crusaders, coached by Wales coaches, Stephen Jones and Gary Taylor, will be running three free taster sessions on Friday 16th December, 6th and 20th January, 6-8pm out of the Deeside Leisure Centre. For more information on these sessions, contact: info@crusadersdisabilitysportsclub.co.uk.

If you’re interested in getting involved in Wheelchair Rugby League but as a match official rather than a player or volunteer, contact: Stephen.jones@walesrugbyleague.co.uk to find out more information.

• Like 7

42 minutes ago, Jill Halfpenny fan said:

Interested to know how much one of these wheelchairs costs and who pays for them?

At the top level, they are individually fitted and very pricey. For introductory/taster sessions, a much more basic chair can be hired, I believe.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

5 hours ago, Jill Halfpenny fan said:

Interested to know how much one of these wheelchairs costs and who pays for them?

The chairs North Wales Crusaders play in were sourced using funding from Disability Sports Wales and other grants, to ensure people with disabilities have access to sport. The chairs Wales Wheelchair team use were sourced via Wales Rugby League. There are a variety of costs - like buying a bicycle, it all depends on the quality of the build the weigt etc. Our elite Wales RL chairs cost in the region of £3000 each but some players have paid more for their own individual bespoke chairs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Jughead said:

I’ve seen Wigan offering taster sessions, Batley want to raise a team and I think it was Brentwood, too. 

Looks like some real growth from the World Cup. 

Leeds have advertised 4 taster sessions across the city and they have all been booked up already.

We may have completely accidentally stumbled on a gem here. Indoor, inclusive to almost everyone and anyone, no head injury concerns as with the running game.

There is so much potential here.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

no head injury concerns as with the running game.

Wales' Mark Williams missed selection for the World Cup semi-final after his Head Injury Assessment. He went over backwards in his chair against Scotland and his head hit the ground. 

Unfortunate, but it does happen in Wheelchair Rugby too.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Jughead said:

I’ve seen Wigan offering taster sessions, Batley want to raise a team and I think it was Brentwood, too. 

Looks like some real growth from the World Cup. 

There are taster sessions in most clubs that currently have wheelchair teams and its great to hear that other clubs are looking at setting up teams...I have heard that Salford are another team looking at starting up. Very best wishes to anyone who takes it on.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, gogledd said:

Wales' Mark Williams missed selection for the World Cup semi-final after his Head Injury Assessment. He went over backwards in his chair against Scotland and his head hit the ground. 

Unfortunate, but it does happen in Wheelchair Rugby too.

Point taken, but the risk is far lower given the rules.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 15/12/2022 at 11:24, Hopping Mad said:

York RLFC Foundation is to run a wheelchair team in 2023, after a successful taster session:

Fantastic news. Well done York