George Burgess

Tosh

A real pity how the chronic hip injury affected his career.

The 2014 vintage George Burgess was an unbelievable talent, his form in South Sydney's premiership winning season at just 22 years old - and his Grand Final try - indicated he would would develop into one of the world's best.

It must have been frustrating to play on hampered by the injury. 

• Like 3

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

3 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

A real pity how the chronic hip injury affected his career.

The 2014 vintage George Burgess was an unbelievable talent, his form in South Sydney's premiership winning season at just 22 years old - and his Grand Final try - indicated he would would develop into one of the world's best.

It must have been frustrating to play on hampered by the injury. 

Such a shame, and it must rankle just a little that his twin is doing so well.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

6 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

I suspect he is happy for him. 

I'm sure he is and genuinely so, but deep down he has to wonder "is that the difference that separates our careers?"

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I know every person is different and luck strikes in different ways, but I'd be interested in a large scale study on whether big forwards who start their top level careers later get more longevity due to their bodies being allowed to develop more. The obvious comparisons would be people like Chris Hill, or guys like Ben Westwood or Mike Lawrence who played their early careers in wider positions.

In any case, sad to see George retire and best of luck to him for the future.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

19 hours ago, del capo said:

We missed Lomax and Percival more

Considering that each of these arguments rely on all of the individuals being fit/physically-capable - are you actually arguing that Lomax and Percival would've added more than George Burgess, Walmsley and Sam Burgess (who is still only 33)?

• Like 1

Not the first player to be forced into early retirement and certainly won't be the last. In his prime he was an exceptional prop forward and whilst this isn't the way he would have wanted to bow out he can be proud of the career he had. For a while he was one of the best in the world.

On 27/11/2022 at 22:31, SalfordSlim said:

Retired at 30, same age as Sam.☹️ Any early retirement is sad to see and just imagine we could've had an England World Cup pack this year with 3x Burgess bros & a fit Alex Walmsley. Scary!!! 

28 minutes ago, Alan Robertson said:

Considering that each of these arguments rely on all of the individuals being fit/physically-capable - are you actually arguing that Lomax and Percival would've added more than George Burgess, Walmsley and Sam Burgess (who is still only 33)?

I watched the extended highlights of the 2014 NRL Grand Final the other day.

Between them, George, Sam and Tom Burgess ran for 624 metres.  George was almost unstoppable that day and he also scored the try on the 55th minute that blew the game open and started the Rabbitohs rout in the final quarter. 

Sam was man of the match but George was one of those that must have pushed him very close.

• Like 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, Alan Robertson said:

Yes.

The England pack was competent enough. It's the backs that let us down. 

19 minutes ago, del capo said:

Yes.

The England pack was competent enough. It's the backs that let us down. 

And 2 backs who have hardly set the world alight at Test level would have added more than a pack containing the 3 Burgess brothers & Walmsley,give over.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

And 2 backs who have hardly set the world alight at Test level would have added more than a pack containing the 3 Burgess brothers & Walmsley,give over.

I think Lomax & Percival are very good SL players but I can't recall either doing a huge amount at international level.

I'd argue Wane's insistence on picking a couple of his washed-up favourites was more damaging to our WC chances.

24 minutes ago, SalfordSlim said:

I think Lomax & Percival are very good SL players but I can't recall either doing a huge amount at international level.

I'd argue Wane's insistence on picking a couple of his washed-up favourites was more damaging to our WC chances.

Yeah Watkins was awful in the semi 😂

For me the weakness in the team was a lack of threat from dummy half & a lack of impact off the bench to capitalise on the platform Burgess & Hill gave the team in their opening spells.