French Domestic Attendances

Eddie

Around 300 I'd say at Carcassonne v Pia, cold winter's day, 

Sunday there  should be a large crowd for limoux a Carcassonne, 

They've already sold around 600 places for the pre match meal, 

Only 4 teams get decent crowds and it depends on the games, limoux, Lézignan, Carcassonne and Albi, probably the only teams that will get over a thousand supporters a few times  during the season, 

Edited by barnyia
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I am off to St Esteve on Saturday so will let you know will also maybe going to Pia on Sunday (Audios or Barnyia maybe able to confirm but my guess is)

St Esteve/X111 Catalan 500 (Pia will be 3/4000) bigger teams 1000 

Avignon 500/600

Carcassonne 600/700 (2/3/4000 for Limoux and Lezignan)

Limoux 1000 (2/3/4000 for Carcassonne and Lezignan) 

Lezignan 1000 (2/3/4000 for Limoux and Carcassonne)

Pia 800

St Gaudens 400

Toulouse 300

Albi 1000

Villeneurve 400/500 (Poor for them)

Paul

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Avignon is a lot lower than that, a couple of hundred maximum, Toulouse around 200, there's usually more away fans than Toulouse fans, last year in the under 19s game at toulouse, the game  was 20  all and we where warming up, there was a penalty 30 metres out for toulouse, I heard a loud cheer and thought Carcassonne had lost, no they'd missed and the cheer was from Carcassonne fans as there was no one there from Toulouse, 

48 minutes ago, barnyia said:

Avignon is a lot lower than that, a couple of hundred maximum, Toulouse around 200, there's usually more away fans than Toulouse fans, last year in the under 19s game at toulouse, the game  was 20  all and we where warming up, there was a penalty 30 metres out for toulouse, I heard a loud cheer and thought Carcassonne had lost, no they'd missed and the cheer was from Carcassonne fans as there was no one there from Toulouse, 

Shame about Avignon as they are always a decent side however Carpentras always had the bigger crowds when they were in Elite 1.

Fond memories of TV matches in both Avignon and Carpentras in the early 2000,s:)

Paul

3 hours ago, barnyia said:

For toulouse, around 500 vs catalans 

1 hour ago, theswanmcr said:

Probably a stupid question but have always wondered, so here goes… has there ever been any call for/would there be any merit in France switching to a ‘summer’ season like in the UK?

There was a proposed Summer league in the early 2000s IIRC. Former French RU international Jacques Fouroux was the face of it all but it never got off the ground.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, theswanmcr said:

Probably a stupid question but have always wondered, so here goes… has there ever been any call for/would there be any merit in France switching to a ‘summer’ season like in the UK?

Probably a bit too hot in SW France in the summer? I don’t know if that’s why they haven’t done it but it seems a plausible reason not to. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Probably a bit too hot in SW France in the summer? I don’t know if that’s why they haven’t done it but it seems a plausible reason not to. 

That’s what I thought would be the reason too.

With NRL and UK aligning it does seem a shame that France doesn’t too.

14 hours ago, theswanmcr said:

I do not see it as an issue as long as it is not a pro League and has never gotten in the way of France fulfilling international obligations. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, theswanmcr said:

If anything it may help them, as players might go over there for a game and a life experience during the off season here or in Australia. 

• Like 2

The Carcassonne Rugby Union side who are in the Pro D2 (Second Division) certainly bring in more fans than the Rugby League side. I really do fear for the future of Rugby League in France, it seems like it has a miniscule following.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, eal said:

The Carcassonne Rugby Union side who are in the Pro D2 (Second Division) certainly bring in more fans than the Rugby League side. I really do fear for the future of Rugby League in France, it seems like it has a miniscule following.

Not really a fair comparison, the Pro D2 has a large following. For instance Bayonne had an average attendance of 10k last season and the overall average in the league was 5k.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Keith989 said:

Not really a fair comparison, the Pro D2 has a large following. For instance Bayonne had an average attendance of 10k last season and the overall average in the league was 5k.

It wasn't meant to be a fair comparison because there really is no comparing the two codes in terms of popularity. But it does show just how small the footprint of RL is in France, even in its supposed hotbeds like Carcassonne.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, eal said:

Why is Carcassonne not a candidate for inclusion in the English structure?

Because the SL clubs will use any excuse to shaft them.

Just watched an enjoyable and  competitive Avignon-Lezignan (6-20) match in a big city's international-sized stadium. There didn't seem to beany spectators  at all in the ground unless they were behind the cameras. Pity, I  enjoy French RL and  I've always had a soft spot for Villeneuve Leopards).Would being part of the English structure improve crowds or just drain a Carcassonne of all their funds?

10 hours ago, Rowan said:

Just watched an enjoyable and  competitive Avignon-Lezignan (6-20) match in a big city's international-sized stadium. There didn't seem to beany spectators  at all in the ground unless they were behind the cameras. Pity, I  enjoy French RL and  I've always had a soft spot for Villeneuve Leopards).Would being part of the English structure improve crowds or just drain a Carcassonne of all their funds?

Apparently 100 fans were on the camera side. Certainly not a good look for a televised game.