French Domestic Attendances

Eddie

Unless you have an idea of how RL disappeared from the media map and only made grudging, comical caricature and usually dismissive appearances and how often it was ridiculed by those with media coverage you'll never understand why the crowds are what they are and if you know this you'd almost expect the crowds to be even lower.

We didn't suffer quite as much in England but the road was much the same.

The most ridiculous thing about it is not the history which was to be expected and was almost entirely predictable or who the perpetrators were but that on RL outlets, in RL circles and even in TGG only sites bringing this up is treated with as much derision and dismissal as if you'd said it in the middle of Twickenham during a K&C international.

Edited by Oxford

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

18 hours ago, eal said:

I'm not suggesting giving them the boot or giving up on French RL, just expressing concern at its current popularity.

This is a question I have posted many times and never received an answer, will you please offer your opinion eal :-

Is it viable for TV companies either FTA or PPV to award the FFR a contract to screen the game weekly or is it the lack of the popularity in the game as a whole in France that prevents TV companies from doing so in that they would not get a return on their investment?

Even if both Catalan and Toulouse were to be guaranteed SL places, would that in your opinion create enough subscribers to make it worthwhile for the TV companies.

The same question to all our other French friends and especially @ATLANTISMANgiven your experience in these matters Paul.

Edited by Harry Stottle

On 03/12/2022 at 02:48, eal said:

But it does show just how small the footprint of RL is in France, even in its supposed hotbeds like Carcassonne.

Supposed is the word! I've been a few times to Carcassonne to watch rugby and imo unless someone told you, you'd not know that RL is played in the city. ASC has no city centre presence like a shop/ticket office, no-one is wearing the colours around town and precious few bars and businesses display match posters or have memorabilia on show. Even the FFR13 offices are stuck away down a side street! You see more XV related stuff.

9 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

This is a question I have posted many times and never received an answer, will you please offer your opinion eal :-

Is it viable for TV companies either FTA or PPV to award the FFR a contract to screen the game weekly or is it the lack of the popularity in the game as a whole in France that prevents TV companies from doing so in that they would not get a return on their investment?

Even if both Catalan and Toulouse were to be guaranteed SL places, would that in your opinion create enough subscribers to make it worthwhile for the TV companies.

The same question to all our other French friends and especially @ATLANTISMANgiven your experience in these matters Paul.

Hello Harry,

Hope all is good and David Foti says hello:)

The answer is NO sadly it would need at least 7/8 teams with most in high population areas.

It is what it is and we love it:)

Paul

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

The answer to everything in this world is money. If an RL TV deal in France could make money, it would be happening. Unfortunately towns like Limoux, Saint-Gaudens, etc are tiny and offer nothing financially. As long as there is nothing in Paris it is going to be tough for the game to get ahead - notice that for all of Rugby Union's popularity in the south, most international fixtures are still played in Paris.

• Thanks 1

On 04/12/2022 at 06:36, eal said:

Apparently 100 fans were on the camera side. Certainly not a good look for a televised game.

I hate to be critical, but 100 is shocking..  Usually an amateur game (any sport) can muster 100 from parents/family/friends of the players alone, let alone any additional fans.

• Like 1

On 03/12/2022 at 16:21, eal said:

Why is Carcassonne not a candidate for inclusion in the English structure?

Because they haven’t applied to join. Also they get around 4-500 to their games, so probably aren’t currently viable. 

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

What’s Brexit got to do with it? 

🤣

On 04/12/2022 at 09:09, Harry Stottle said:

The reason that London was seen as key by yawn here and Paris in France is because the Vichies understand what needs controlling, where control lies and how to manipulate conditions using those two things as inroads. Market forces are as often determined by where contol  resides as much as they control what goes on. The dominance of those two cities were and are the lynchpin as is the media within them.

RL looks like the beggar searching for crumbs, and an orphan looking for love, in this environment. All that's needed is for RL to act like it's an intruder needing acceptance by the real people by being negative, self-critical and in a constant state of rebranding itself.

If you don't recognise TGG just read a few forum pages to view the depth of our apparent problems.

If you look at the success of the wheelchair game in the WC there were a few reasons why but one of them was it's a game in love with itself and unappologetic about the fact.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

10 minutes ago, barnyia said:

http://www.rugbyforumxiii.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=74373

Scroll down and you'll see the stand behind the camera, 

There was a bigger crowd on Saturday at Lézignan to watch the u15s v Carcassonne and then the girls u17s v Pia. 

You have to log in to see it but if it’s 100 that’s incredible, there are bigger attendances in the East RL. 

8 minutes ago, Eddie said:

You have to log in to see it but if it’s 100 that’s incredible, there are bigger attendances in the East RL. 

Everytime I've been to Avignon with a team the most I've seen is 3 to 400. 

Rugby league is miniscule in France, people seem to forget that, there's probably more French boules players in England than rugby league players in France, 

• Like 1

On 30/11/2022 at 21:23, Gomersall said:

There was a proposed Summer league in the early 2000s IIRC. Former French RU international Jacques Fouroux was the face of it all but it never got off the ground.

Announced at France v Australia test in 1994 (IIRC Beziers) and ran in 1995 but was effectively killed by SL arrival. Fouroux was then involved with first season of PSG but will refrain from further comment on why he left, how RFL messed up the club and other stories.

• Thanks 1

My wife complains I selfishly stop her fulfilling her true ambition -

she really wants to be a rich widow

On 30/11/2022 at 21:23, Gomersall said:

There was a proposed Summer league in the early 2000s IIRC. Former French RU international Jacques Fouroux was the face of it all but it never got off the ground.

Announced at France v Australia test in 1994 (IIRC Beziers) and ran in 1995 but was effectively killed by SL arrival. Fouroux was then involved with first season of PSG but will refrain from further comment on why he left, how RFL messed up the club and other stories.

• Thanks 1

My wife complains I selfishly stop her fulfilling her true ambition -

she really wants to be a rich widow

20 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Hello Harry,

Hope all is good and David Foti says hello:)

The answer is NO sadly it would need at least 7/8 teams with most in high population areas.

It is what it is and we love it:)

Paul

At least that means we should be looking to retain UK cash inside a UK game

Sad really but no point throwing money at a business that will never give a return when the domestic market is desperate for that cash ie £3m not sent to France could allow central contracts for the T60 players across all ages, or allow the T30 women players to go FT in development roles

• Like 1

On 03/12/2022 at 19:59, Rowan said:

Just watched an enjoyable and  competitive Avignon-Lezignan (6-20) match in a big city's international-sized stadium. There didn't seem to beany spectators  at all in the ground unless they were behind the cameras.

There were a few at least. An Aussie guy who I know, was there with his family. 

On 04/12/2022 at 05:36, eal said:

Apparently 100 fans were on the camera side. Certainly not a good look for a televised game.

Where did you get this figure from please? It sounds like nonsense. 

I asked the guy I know who was at the game, and he said "about 700" .

From experience, and from the French forum, I've coached against them for at least the last 7 years and know that if the u19s aren't playing before the first team  there's even less people, there's usually around 100 behind the dugouts and a couple of hundred stood around near the bar including u19s and u19s families. Take them away as they've no longer a team the numbers drop by at least 50. There's usually a couple of people from the visiting team but not many as it's a couple of hours drive for the closest clubs.

It's a shame as they've a great set up and where u19s champions just before COVID.