New Zealand not coming in 2023

21 hours ago, Farmduck said:

I just checked the RLIF site and they don't seem to have updated the Rankings. I know their general modus operandi was to update them at the end of each month or at the end of a major tournament. Well we've just had both of those and NZ is till on top.

Their points system is also weighted to give more points to major tournament games than to one-off games so why would Samoa still be down at #7? I know Australia hasn't played much over the last few years but they've just had 6 straight wins, including 3 against top 10 competition so, even if they aren't #1 they should have overtaken Tonga and England since the gap wasn't very wide.

https://www.intrl.sport/world-rankings/

I reckon it hasn’t been updated yet, because that is impossibly accurate.

Threadbare organisation forgot one of the basics in I think.

14 hours ago, Big Picture said:

The authorities couldn't have made it the gold standard back then though, any more than the current lot can.  Even before then they had their hands full dealing with clubs getting into financial trouble (e.g. Bradford going bust in the 1963-64 season).

The plain truth is that the game's small footprint was always too small for it ever to be made the gold standard sport the youth would want to be involved in on that foundation.

Again BP you are missing what I am saying, whoever has been at the head of the sport in this country they have had complete disregard for where the next batch of professionals come from, they have treated the amatuer side of the sport very shabbily with some effort, organisation and monetary input to make the sport more attractive it could have enticed far more kids to take up the game, then who knows what would have happened?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Again BP you are missing what I am saying, whoever has been at the head of the sport in this country they have had complete disregard for where the next batch of professionals come from, they have treated the amatuer side of the sport very shabbily with some effort, organisation and monetary input to make the sport more attractive it could have enticed far more kids to take up the game, then who knows what would have happened?

Bar Richard Lewis in my opinion.

Edited by Sports Prophet

18 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Have you done!

We are at a culmination of the sports hierarchy not giving two hoots what has been going on in the amatuer game and but for a group of guys in March 1973 headed by Mr Maurice Oldroyd when B.A.R.L.A. was originated when we had less than 150 amatuer clubs and only 30 youth teams in existance we may not have a game today, they started with £25 which was collected at the meeting when the organisation was born, the RFL at the time actually did not accept the organisation and at a meeting voted 29 to 1 against officially recognising them.

When I said the authorities should have made it the gold standard, I was talking about years ago when there was the opportunity to do so when there was not the distractions and alternatives that are around today, if they had reacted way back then in a positve way the game could have been in a far healthier position than it is today.

You're quite correct here H. 

But it's a result of the short sighted thinking and self interest of a handful of clubs, that has always plagued the game. And almost certainly will forever more. 

On 03/12/2022 at 13:41, Big Picture said:

Those small towns used to provide enough players, but they don't any more, and unless I'm mistaken that's true even in the towns which have had a club in SL since its inception.  That suggests that for some reason many of the sons and grandsons of the RL players and supporters of yesteryear — across the heartland — don't see RL as the "gold standard" sport they want to be involved in.

The reason why can't be that the changes during the SL era widened the gap between the top tier and the rest of the game, because if that was so the community game wouldn't have declined in Wigan, St Helens and the other places which have always been represented in SL.  The reason for a wholesale decline and shrinkage of the player pool can only be that those sons and grandsons of the RL players and supporters of yesteryear don't see a "gold standard" sport which inspires them, they see something of much lower standard and that doesn't impress them in the era when they can see plenty of genuine big time major pro sports on TV and observe how far ahead of RL they are.  The same old, same old simply isn't good enough for them.

FYI I haven't put any pins in maps, I've thought strategically about cities which have the necessary profile and stature to create a Wow! factor and entice a new audience to check out something new and unique.  I couldn't care less why anyone in that new audience decides to check it out, it's enough even if they're just curious (though I'd plan to give them plenty of other reasons too).  If the presentation of the matches and the product on the field is good, they'll be hooked just like the Torontonians who embraced the Wolfpack were hooked.

And as you're someone who finds present-day RL dull and predictable, I say with confidence that you'd like the product I'd put on the field a lot because it would be simply the best.  Nothing less would do.

Have you had any movement in getting your development plans in front of any potential investors yet?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

13 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Have you had any movement in getting your development plans in front of any potential investors yet?

I still have the obstacle that none of those rich guys know me from Adam to overcome.  I'm looking for a way to solve that so they'll have a reason to hear what I have to say.

• 1 month later...

So, still no plans for England at the end of the season?

The only way the International game is going to attract more spectators and viewers is if they can build some momentum.

The WC finished a few months ago and there are no fixtures organised for England at the end of the year. 

What about the women's and Wheelchair teams?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hello said:

Is this a dying sport that we see before us

Lets hope not but how may times can you shoot yourself in the foot before walking becomes a real problem?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, JM2010 said:

So, still no plans for England at the end of the season?

The only way the International game is going to attract more spectators and viewers is if they can build some momentum.

The WC finished a few months ago and there are no fixtures organised for England at the end of the year. 

What about the women's and Wheelchair teams?

There are the Euros, but the RFL at the moment don't deem them worthy.

9 hours ago, Hello said:

It does concern me that perhaps the RLF simply don`t have the money to fund internationals, especially when there is a risk after match payments etc, the games may be a loss-making enterprise.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

There are the Euros, but the RFL at the moment don't deem them worthy.

Beggars can't be choosers and we seem to be too proud to admit we may be the beggars of 'tier one' international RL right now.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

33 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

It does concern me that perhaps the RLF simply don`t have the money to fund internationals, especially when there is a risk after match payments etc, the games may be a loss-making enterprise.

Australia or New Zealand would make money, we've evidence for that, and if we'd locked them in straight after world cup we'd probably also have been able to get TV/sponsor support to underwrite the costs. But they don't want to tour, so that's that. 

I'd love to see some sort of 4 nations with Samoa, PNG etc, but that's much less financially certain, especially if there is some sort of financial hangover from the RLWC for the RFL. (Has the full story on that come clear yet?) 

So it's plan C, the euros, which they'll do on a tight budget, so probably no games beyond the North, so any RLWC legacy dissipated by next autumn I fear. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Madrileño said:

Who's fault is that?

What are England's plans?

Whose fault is it that neither the 'roos nor the Kiwis can be bothered to come to England ?

I'll let you be the judge on that case.

• Thanks 1

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

11 hours ago, Hello said:

It's always darkest before the dawn. The NRL has more money than ever, they've finally cottoned-on to the international game as a source of growth, 2024 will see a proper schedule as part of the build up to the World Cup, and in the northern hemisphere IMG are about to have a huge impact, and should Toulouse get promoted for 2024 that will add to how exciting that year will be internationally. Sorting something meaningful for 2023 was always going to be impossible at this late stage, we're dealing with a 2021 problem there really. Let's focus on what's next. 

The future's bright...!!

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

10 minutes ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

It's always darkest before the dawn. The NRL has more money than ever, they've finally cottoned-on to the international game as a source of growth, 2024 will see a proper schedule as part of the build up to the World Cup, and in the northern hemisphere IMG are about to have a huge impact, and should Toulouse get promoted for 2024 that will add to how exciting that year will be internationally. Sorting something meaningful for 2023 was always going to be impossible at this late stage, we're dealing with a 2021 problem there really. Let's focus on what's next. 

The future's bright...!!

I admire your optimism, I genuinely hope that it is well placed and that you are proven to be right 

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

6 minutes ago, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

I admire your optimism, I genuinely hope that it is well placed and that you are proven to be right 

I tend to be more pessimistic as well to be honest. Rugby League will never die in Australia, its just too ingrained in New South Wales and Queensland. Same with PNG and growth is likely to continue in the Pacific Island nations, due to Australia's influence.

However I do see a future where League is only played in the South Pacific and is reduced to small amateur competitions in the Northern Hemisphere.