The England squad for the 2025 World Cup

Of those in the article who may be out of contention with age, I would certainly see Tom Burgess as an option in 2025.  There are so many variables in these things but as of today he hasn't had any serious injuries to cause wear and tear and he is always in good shape.  He could easily around in '25.

As for the possible newcomers...

One's I 100% agree with

Wakefield’s Lewis Murphy to replace Ryan Hall on the wing.

Lewis Dodd to replace Marc Sneyd at halfback.

Morgan Gannon to replace Elliott Whitehead in the England back row.

Harry Newman to replace Kallum Watkins in the centre.

Will Pryce to replace Sam Tomkins at fullback.

These five are top class talents and I can't wait to see what they develop into. 

One's I am not sure about

Wigan’s Ethan Havard to replace Mike Cooper in the front row.

Morgan Smithies to replace Chris Hill in the forwards.

Jake Wardle to replace Tommy Makinson in the England threequarters.

I have high hopes for Havard and I hope he can become a top class prop but I think the jury is out just yet.  As for Smithies, I would like to see either an improved running game or some creativity with the ball.  He is a hard guy and a tough tackler but you need more than that in the modern game, particularly if you are not the biggest (see Cam Murray for Australia).

Wardle is 24 now and needs to live up to his promise to be seen as a possible England player.  He is certainly behind Farnworth and Newman for me who are both younger.

Probably not

Kruise Leeming to replace Micky McIlorum at hooker.

Leeming is a good player but 27 now and will be 30 next world cup.  We should be looking to develop a newer generation.  I really like the look of Brad O'Neill at Wigan, I think he could be a very good player.

Leeming may be a decent squad shout though.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

26 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Of those in the article who may be out of contention with age, I would certainly see Tom Burgess as an option in 2025.  There are so many variables in these things but as of today he hasn't had any serious injuries to cause wear and tear and he is always in good shape.  He could easily around in '25.

As for the possible newcomers...

One's I 100% agree with

Wakefield’s Lewis Murphy to replace Ryan Hall on the wing.

Lewis Dodd to replace Marc Sneyd at halfback.

Morgan Gannon to replace Elliott Whitehead in the England back row.

Harry Newman to replace Kallum Watkins in the centre.

These five are top class talents and I can't wait to see what they develop into. 

One's I am not sure about

Wigan’s Ethan Havard to replace Mike Cooper in the front row.

Morgan Smithies to replace Chris Hill in the forwards.

Jake Wardle to replace Tommy Makinson in the England threequarters.

I have high hopes for Havard and I hope he can become a top class prop but I think the jury is out just yet.  As for Smithies, I would like to see either an improved running game or some creativity with the ball.  He is a hard guy and a tough tackler but you need more than that in the modern game, particularly if you are not the biggest (see Cam Murray for Australia).

Wardle is 24 now and needs to live up to his promise to be seen as a possible England player.  He is certainly behind Farnworth and Newman for me who are both younger.

Probably not

Kruise Leeming to replace Micky McIlorum at hooker.

Leeming is a good player but 27 now and will be 30 next world cup.  We should be looking to develop a newer generation.  I really like the look of Brad O'Neill at Wigan, I think he could be a very good player.

Leeming may be a decent squad shout though.

I agree that Brad O'Neill appear to have huge promise and could certainly force his way into the squad.

The other relevant point I made is that several members of the squad who were selected this year wouldn't have been on the radar three years ago.

If that repeats itself, it suggests that some players we may hardly have heard of now will come into contention.

36 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Welsby will probably remain as Saints No 1 for the next few years (until Lomax retires when he may well then switch to 6), so assuming he maintains form he'll most likely be the first choice to replace Tomkins as FB

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

Loads of youngsters to push forward each club will have players, at Warrington matty Nicholson, josh thewlis and I am sure there's a lot at other clubs, they just need first team experience and international games whether the knights or full England team. 

36 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

Welsby will probably remain as Saints No 1 for the next few years (until Lomax retires when he may well then switch to 6), so assuming he maintains form he'll most likely be the first choice to replace Tomkins as FB

Yes, I was going to say Pryce to replace Tomkins but more likely to be 1. Welsby and 6. Pryce

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

I was surprised to see the stats for fullbacks in the World Cup. Samoa NZ and Aus had absolute metre eaters and were all 3 top of the game for metres. Do you guys think England lost abit with Tompkins at fb? Each team uses their fullback differently but would a more physical type fullback who can get the metres from the back have been better for England moving forward?

We have 2 Autumns and 3 Mid seasons of England matches to find out.

The Euros in '23 could be a really good chance to completely overhaul the England team who lost to Samoa, without needing to fly over the NRL based contingent if that was considered prohibitive or unnecessary. Lets see what some of these lads do in the international environment and when presented with a bit of Gallic "flair" and "roughness".

Autumn '24 one presumes will involve a cross hemisphere tour, possibly by sides interested in scouting out locations in France. A reborn 4(?) nations on the cards to give those youngsters who have played in '23 and in the mid season of '24 a hit out against some of the worlds best? A tour (even if only to France) always helps bring a squad together too. I believe we should know our opponents and potential routes for the world cup by then as well, which should factor in at least somewhat into the decision making.

2025 will hopefully have a settled group who are set on reaching the World Cup Final. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Chris22 said:

I think I may be in the minority but I would be surprised if Will Pryce ends up playing for England.

He's a decent player but I'm not sure he'll reach international class.

Pryce had a stunning start to his SL career but the majority of last season was wiped out by injury and suspension. In the games he played, for me, he showed a hell of a lot of promise with some great individual contributions.

So many young players fail to kick on, even when given the opportunity, so for me a lot depends on how much opportunity Pryce gets regularly in the 1st team over the next few years. He's certainly shown he has a lot of natural ability

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

I'd be very surprised if Pryce kicked on enough in 3 years to be considered international class having watched him every week, he will be 3rd, possibly 4th choice choice full back and half-back for us next year.

I would also throw in the likes of Matty English, Owen Trout and Sam Hewitt if they continue to progress as they are.

18 hours ago, Iceberg Slim said:

I was surprised to see the stats for fullbacks in the World Cup. Samoa NZ and Aus had absolute metre eaters and were all 3 top of the game for metres. Do you guys think England lost abit with Tompkins at fb? Each team uses their fullback differently but would a more physical type fullback who can get the metres from the back have been better for England moving forward?

Most modern full backs make more metres around the ruck/ptb area supporting quick ptb, rather than bringing back kicks. 

• Like 1