KPP & Pryce to NRL - Confirmed

24 minutes ago, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

Can't blame the lads, who wants to get to the end of their career and think what if... 

And that is the very reason SL needed Toronto.

• Like 9
  • Haha 8

25 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Interesting to see how they go. I expect KPP will do well. Pryce on the other hand… could be an amazing player but could also not live up to his massive potential. Let’s hope it’s the former. 

You'd hope with Andrew Johns on the staff there any half/fullback under his guidance would have a very good chance of succeeding. Heres hoping.

Assuming Johns is still there in 2024.

Newcastle shaping up as the team to support with their growing English contingent. Dom Young, Bailey Hodgson and now KPP and Pryce.

Edited by EastLondonMike
  • Like 5

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

1 hour ago, ShropshireBull said:

Guess if you and Wigan and Giants you run them into the ground. Then if you are giants and end up out of contention stop playing him for someone else. 

Or more likely they act like responsible employers with a duty of care & treat them accordingly.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Man of Kent said:

Feeder League.

There’s 510 players in NRL clubs “top thirties” and there’s probably fewer than a dozen of those are English, with two more heading over in twelve months. What number does it go from being normal transfer business to “feeder league”?

• Like 2

Great for England

The clubs getting fees for these or out of contract?

Good chance for Wigan and Huddersfield to bring through their replacements.

Circle of life.

7 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Feeder League.

For a start, SL doesn't supply enough players to be considered a feeder league. I think, in 2022 there were only 7 ex-SL players in NRL - I can't remember whether Hodgson played or was injured in pre-season. It might only be 6. By the time these next 2 get here, it may still only be 6 or 7 all up. Hodgson's only 1 injury away from retirement and Whitehead's already 33.

Also a bit pedantic here but I didn't count Farnworth because he's never played SL. I don't think George Burgess played SL until after he'd played here for years. Either way, he just retired, so cross him off.

If SL can't replace 4 players a year then the problem lies in the SL clubs, not the NRL.

• Like 6

Facts are we don’t generate the income to compete or offer central contracts.

So it’s in our hands to grow the income  or deal with the reality of not doing so

An international calendar is vital, and that does not include France for the foreseeable. A 3 test series v Australia, then v NZ and then either Samoa/Tonga would fill the gaps between WC’s nicely 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Anybody who is underestimating how significant announcements like this are becoming, isn't looking at the bigger picture. This isn't about 10-12 English lads testing their arm in the NRL - it's more that ambition for young talented players is now shifting and the NRL know it. 

I think it's a good thing on more than one level. To see that young men - and these are only a couple of years out of high school - are prepared to back themselves to take on a challenge and succeed or, even more importantly to risk "failure", is a good sign of their character. Worst thing that can happen is they work and train hard in a supportive fully professional environment for a couple of years then go back to SL and play another 8-10 years there.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Farmduck said:

I think it's a good thing on more than one level. To see that young men - and these are only a couple of years out of high school - are prepared to back themselves to take on a challenge and succeed or, even more importantly to risk "failure", is a good sign of their character. Worst thing that can happen is they work and train hard in a supportive fully professional environment for a couple of years then go back to SL and play another 8-10 years there.

Oh I don't disagree in that respect - these young men should absolutely strive to do the best for themselves. It's very commendable. The problem is, or will be, that SL's already limited pot of players gets even more diluted as the ripest get picked off at ever younger ages. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShropshireBull said:

It´s more that players will get plucked off earlier and earlier to go into their system and they will keep the ones they want, sending the inferior ones back here. 

Now, if NRL actually becomes more popular outside Australia maybe it will be a way to inspire lads to play rugby league in UK with dream of getting to NRL but I don´t think their exposure is ever going to be anywhere near big enough for that to be the case. 

That’s not really a “feeder league”, then. 

KPP and Pryce, injury/suspension permitting, are going to have the best part of 100 appearances between them under their belts by the time they board a plane to Australia, not too dissimilar to James Bentley and Luke Hooley when stepping up to St Helens and Leeds. It’s the nature of the Rugby League transfer market and the pyramid of levels we have. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jughead said:

That’s not really a “feeder league”, then. 

KPP and Pryce, injury/suspension permitting, are going to have the best part of 100 appearances between them under their belts by the time they board a plane to Australia, not too dissimilar to James Bentley and Luke Hooley when stepping up to St Helens and Leeds. It’s the nature of the Rugby League transfer market and the pyramid of levels we have. 

Odd, you've said it isn't a feeder league then gone on to demonstrate how it is...

2 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

It´s more that players will get plucked off earlier and earlier to go into their system and they will keep the ones they want, sending the inferior ones back here. 

Now, if NRL actually becomes more popular outside Australia maybe it will be a way to inspire lads to play rugby league in UK with dream of getting to NRL but I don´t think their exposure is ever going to be anywhere near big enough for that to be the case. 

I'm surprised they haven't played NRL games in the UK (as it happens with the NFL and the NBA). 

Toronto Wolfpack Global Ambassador