What will IMG tell the clubs at tomorrow's RL Council meeting.

23 hours ago, Martyn Sadler said:

It will be interesting what your reliable and trusted sources reveal.

I personally think there should be better transparency with these meetings or at least a press conference where your profession can ask the necessary questions on our behalf. The supporters.  A stakeholder who the Game would vanish without. 

As for your suggestions, to me they seem fairly obvious, albeit RL is often wont for not applying the obvious. You'd hope ideas like these would be joined by the core criteria of current and historic form, facilities, finances, support, community, player development and location.

15 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

t"...submit full audited accounts to Companies House, which is currently done by only a minority of Super League clubs currently, including Wigan, to their credit."

Not because they are obliged to by company law then?

Quite. Unfortunately only a few of our clubs are large enough to not be able to take advantage of small company exemptions. And no business in their right mind would file more information than they need to just to assist curious journalists. It costs more in time and probably money to prepare the accounts too.

I'm sure IMG and RFL have access to more detailed financial info if needed. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, super major said:

Interesting times coming.

A worry is some clubs would score well on some of Martyn's score card, yet have an odd problem or two elsewhere.

I would like to see clubs rated without "director's donations" asthey may not be there forever

Excluding 'director's donations' is a good idea. Wakey's last period of success ended when their then chairman and financial backer died (I think it was in a car crash) and the family weren't interested in carrying on.

3 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Meeting was last night but nothing seems to have leaked?

Unless there was one party (or more) who have some sort of agenda of their own and want to use social media to push their own alternative ideas, then why would any of the parties who attended want to 'leak' any information from what was a 'private' meeting ?

Its probably more likely that all the clubs want some time to fully review the latest information that was given and there's been a deadline set for them to give feedback to IMG, wherin some form of public statement will then be made on both the detail of the plans and the level of support for them from the clubs. 

• Like 1

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

1 minute ago, Saint Toppy said:

Unless there was one party (or more) who have some sort of agenda of their own and want to use social media to push their own alternative ideas, then why would any of the parties who attended want to 'leak' any information from what was a 'private' meeting ?

I'm not saying it should leak - quite the opposite, really.

Because, in RL terms, it stands out. Normally there are leaks and briefings left, right and centre. But for the IMG bit ... basically silence.

I don't have a problem with that. But the fact that it is happening is noteworthy.

• Like 7

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I think a few obvious things should happen. 

The salary cap for me should be increased to 2.5 million a year with total excemptions for players produced from the youth structure of the club 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Spidey said:

Thought somebody said they had a fly on the wall?

I imagine Martyn et al will have had various communications exchanged, if not he and his colleagues would have happily trawled through their contacts book.

If its an exclusive we will have to wait, but not too long. 

Yeah funny no one seems to brought up Wigan's £2m losses over two years and related it to sustainability and what IMG grading they'd get.

It needs an honest adult conversation and I think some sensible consideration is needed to balance up fiscal competitiveness, fairness and the reality that our big club donors aren't likely to go bust overnight. 

Edited by idrewthehaggis

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

I'm not saying it should leak - quite the opposite, really.

Because, in RL terms, it stands out. Normally there are leaks and briefings left, right and centre. But for the IMG bit ... basically silence.

I don't have a problem with that. But the fact that it is happening is noteworthy.

I think it is noteworthy too. RL has a long tradition of leaks and unhappy parties speaking to their chums in the media. The fact this isn't happening bodes well and indicates that the vast majority are singing from the same hymn sheet.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, The Ghost of 99 said:

I'm sure IMG and RFL have access to more detailed financial info if needed. 

No they don't.

The clubs are private companies that can't be forced to reveal information about themselves against their will unless, as a condition of membership, their reported accounts have to conform to certain required standards.

6 hours ago, The Ghost of 99 said:

Quite. Unfortunately only a few of our clubs are large enough to not be able to take advantage of small company exemptions. And no business in their right mind would file more information than they need to just to assist curious journalists. It costs more in time and probably money to prepare the accounts too.

It isn't just a question of assisting "curious journalists".

It's about transparency for supporters and potential investors.

In other words, being more professional.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, The storm said:

I think a few obvious things should happen. 

The salary cap for me should be increased to 2.5 million a year with total excemptions for players produced from the youth structure of the club 

If the cap had kept pace with inflation it would be 3 million a year, it should immediately be raised to at least that much.

Edited by Big Picture
  • Like 1

Snippets from a fly:

1. Any club losing money will be downgraded

2. Any club not spending full cap will be downgraded

3. Any club not taking up an offer of a cat A academy will be downgraded

4. Clubs operating at less than 75% capacity, 60% in 20k+ stadia will be downgraded

5. Clubs without min 500 lux floodlights for HDTV will be downgraded

6. Clubs not running a womens SL team will be downgraded

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Snippets from a fly:

4. Clubs operating at less than 75% capacity, 60% in 20k+ stadia will be downgraded

Who needs 'leaked' meeting minutes when we can just have SC's comedy list.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

6 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Snippets from a fly:

I hope it’s a more reliable fly than the one who told you Leigh had signed Bevan French.

• Haha 5

43 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Snippets from a fly:

7. Any club who is found to be the source of a leak will be downgraded. 

• Haha 4