What does a SL player training schedule look like?

Not just the days and saying 'weights' or 'fitness' etc 

I mean a typical mid season week.....say they played on Friday night and then play following Friday too 

What would each day be? How long weights? Heavy/light? Stamina? Fitness? How many hours on contact training etc? How many drills hours etc? 

Anyone know?

Play Friday and assume next game also a Friday - some of the below maybe more condensed if it's say a Saturday-Thurs turnaround. 

Saturday club players who picked up knocks or require additional recovery support would be down at the training ground 

Sunday - day off

Monday - would be in early, recovery sessions in full swing for all players. Then video game review of the last match as a squad with separate convos for individuals with coaches. Possibly some light ball work. 

Tuesday - fully back out on the training field and starting to look at this weeks opposition and any defensive/attacking shapes that need to be tweaked for that. Gym session later on. 

Wednesday - a bit more in depth look at this weeks opposition (most likely with video review) and consolidating how that needs to look in the training session that will follow, to execute it as planned. More gym work later on.

Thursday - morning off, in later for squad announcement and then out for captain's run. 

Friday - game day! 

• Like 3

I don't know how typical this Aussie trainer's schedule is, but it's worth a look: https://rugbystrengthcoach.com/in-season-training/ 

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

59 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Sorry yes I get preseason hard etc.

Want to actually know what the midseason stuff actually looks like day to day 

Wonder if any current or ex pros lurk on this site and know 

@Tex Evans Thigh might be able to help.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

30 minutes ago, iffleyox said:

Matt Shaw did a great article on this (with Huddersfield?) in RLW the other year. One of the best things they've ever published. 

This is a pre-season one.

https://www.totalrl.com/matt-shaws-day-of-hell-at-huddersfield-pre-season-training/

Edited by Dunbar

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, Pulga said:

Here is one from an NRL player:

Great to see someone who loves his job.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

10 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Brilliant 

Genuine question about FAT CLUB 

Would they do this in women's rugby league (with a proportionate change to balance womens differences in body fat %)

If they don't is it a bad thing? 

If they do is it a bad thing?

I highly doubt it at this stage. Maybe if they go completely professional they might. 

As you pointed out though it's probably a bit more difficult with women because of the different ways they carry weight plus I'd say there would be fluctuations with their cycle/hormones.

new rise.jpg

16 hours ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Play Friday and assume next game also a Friday - some of the below maybe more condensed if it's say a Saturday-Thurs turnaround. 

Saturday club players who picked up knocks or require additional recovery support would be down at the training ground 

Sunday - day off

Monday - would be in early, recovery sessions in full swing for all players. Then video game review of the last match as a squad with separate convos for individuals with coaches. Possibly some light ball work. 

Tuesday - fully back out on the training field and starting to look at this weeks opposition and any defensive/attacking shapes that need to be tweaked for that. Gym session later on. 

Wednesday - a bit more in depth look at this weeks opposition (most likely with video review) and consolidating how that needs to look in the training session that will follow, to execute it as planned. More gym work later on.

Thursday - morning off, in later for squad announcement and then out for captain's run. 

Friday - game day! 

As far as I know the 'recovery day' is the day after a match. Players get a medical assessment to determine if they need any individual treatments during the coming week or whether they're passed fully fit to undertake the regular weeks training. Most of that day is spent with the medical team, physio's and conditioning staff. The next day is the usually a 'day off' / light training' and then back to a full training session the day after.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

1 hour ago, Saint Toppy said:

As far as I know the 'recovery day' is the day after a match. Players get a medical assessment to determine if they need any individual treatments during the coming week or whether they're passed fully fit to undertake the regular weeks training. Most of that day is spent with the medical team, physio's and conditioning staff. The next day is the usually a 'day off' / light training' and then back to a full training session the day after.

Yeah there's clearly slight variations to this depending on the type of recovery sessions you're doing ( I mean some lads used to be straight on with an hour after the game) but I'm just basing it on what I did. That was only up to academy level mind, but we pretty much mirrored what the senior squad did. 

1 hour ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Brilliant 

Genuine question about FAT CLUB 

Would they do this in women's rugby league (with a proportionate change to balance womens differences in body fat %)

If they don't is it a bad thing? 

If they do is it a bad thing?

I think there's a big difference in what you would expect from a full time and part time (or amateur) athelete.

1 minute ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Sorry let me clarify. Stick the sentence below before everything I said and then answer 

If women's RL gets to full time status and.....

In that case then I would expect yes something similar would happen. Women training and competing at an elite level isn't anything new, it's been happening in athletics for decades. Team sports are playing catch up and I think in RL are a long way off that, particularly in this country.

12 minutes ago, JohnM said:

All very interesting and revealing. Forum discussion at it's best.

One question: do players undertake any specific training to improve their speed? Not just doing it, but being measured, videoed, analysed  etc.

I know here clubs sometimes employ speed coaches. Ex Olympic sprinters etc.

So, I would say 'yes'.

new rise.jpg

1 minute ago, Pulga said:

I know here clubs sometimes employ speed coaches. Ex Olympic sprinters etc.

So, I would say 'yes'.

We had speed coaches at our rugby union club last year...us in the third team train with the 2s and 1s.....

Hilarious to watch us in our forties being instructed how/when to push our heel and ball of foot and the spring mechanics .....most of us can barely walk!!

• Haha 1

On 09/12/2022 at 11:06, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

We had speed coaches at our rugby union club last year...us in the third team train with the 2s and 1s.....

Hilarious to watch us in our forties being instructed how/when to push our heel and ball of foot and the spring mechanics .....most of us can barely walk!!

Average speed coach training for a 3rd xv. "Doing this can help take a few thousands of second off your 100m or you could lose 3st.

• Haha 3