London Broncos Matchday Experience in 2023

“Goodbye to the pie”

Could only happen darn sarth

How on earth do we ever hope of challenging the Aussies if we get rid of the pie. Its what made them great.

If this is what lies at the heart of IMGs proposals then its a no from me.

I hope RL fans everywhere use their right of repie …lets stop this nonsense before it spreads to the midlands.

• Haha 5

That's new! Something a bit different.

Good luck with this initiative, it certainly is a great stadium.

Good food variety and a decent family fanzone should please a lot of folks.

The Bronco's bar and the Gold (?) ticket seems affordable for most Londoners so I hope the club sees a sizeable uptick in spectator numbers. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Yorks Tim said:

You won't get a pie at a Midlands game I'm afraid.

We have street food festivals every home game with with fans enjoying artisan burgers and Nasi Goreng and the like.

No Bovril neither    

277534287_5267255283306460_6480061531978680504_n.jpg

Are you still at Portway for 2023 then?

9 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Well, putting fans in the East stand will look better on TV when/if they are shown.

Bit odd that Broncos didn’t use the fanzone area with Buck & Dusty etc from the start but better late than never. 

My concern is that it will take one match where a crowd doesn't show up and they will immediately scale back the offer. (Or, worse, they will be relying on volunteers and parts of the matchday offer don't appear some weeks without explanation).

Both have happened before and it can be incredibly damaging to getting new supporters to come back.

• Like 3

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I would love to be proved wrong however (Unless in SL) I really dont see where these new fans are going to come from, i managed to go to the Broncos 3 times last season (2 times in Gravesend) and my sole visit to Wimbledon was for the match v Leigh at the end of the season it was totally soulless.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

For me it’s not a great stadium and for this sort of thing the Stoop or Trailfinders are more suitable. I have been a couple of times and I agree with Atlantisman  it is soulless. We simply don’t have the fans to create an atmosphere in a place like this. It’s clear that some Wimbledon football fans are attending but it is also clear to me that we have lost some of the people who went to Ealing regularly. Sorry to be negative but the steep rise in season ticket prices and the move has affected the level of my interest in the club. 
I did go to the Arsenal stadium for the England v Samoa game however and that was a great  experience despite the result.

19 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Why bother, then

They're addressing the fact that the move failed in all the ways it was predicted to - by all except those who were gleeful that their debt ridden soccer club was going to get help with its interest payments. That's a positive but London shouldn't be in the position they're in in the first place.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, Jughead said:

So they recognise that attendances and atmosphere has been poor, so do something about it and it’s written off. Why bother, then

The point is that this a season too late, needed to be in place on day 1.

yes its good its happening, and I hope they keep it up, but its a year too late, the ship has sailed now

• Like 1

I thought they might have strengthened the side and looked to have another go at promotion. I think they seriously believe that because of IMG, they don't need to. The matchday experience sounds better than 2022 but still nowhere near as good as Trailfinders for the 500-1500 crowds that they cater for. The move to AFCW still only makes sense for a Super League club averaging 5k+.

40 minutes ago, Archie Gordon said:

I thought they might have strengthened the side and looked to have another go at promotion. I think they seriously believe that because of IMG, they don't need to. The move to AFCW still only makes sense for a Super League club averaging 5k+.

Well, quite. Encouraging that IMG has publicly stated London is a key area for growth, isn’t it. 

Edited by Man of Kent
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Yorks Tim said:

We have street food festivals every home game with with fans enjoying artisan burgers and Nasi Goreng and the like.

No Bovril neither    

The sandwiches were good when I went up for the Donny game this year.....though it was 36oC and I think my taste buds melted 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Archie Gordon said:

I thought they might have strengthened the side and looked to have another go at promotion. I think they seriously believe that because of IMG, they don't need to. The matchday experience sounds better than 2022 but still nowhere near as good as Trailfinders for the 500-1500 crowds that they cater for. The move to AFCW still only makes sense for a Super League club averaging 5k+.

They're deluded if they think that IMG are just going to gift them a Cat A coz London. 

Nothing we've heard so far suggests that's how it's going to work, nor should it. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Archie Gordon said:

London is a key area for growth.

AFCW stadium works if you get 5k+.

Do I just wiggle my nose now to make it happen? Or click my heels together?

Or do London Broncos, possibly flanked by IMG, do something to offer existing fans and people in South West London, more than a plastic seat with a stale, tepid atmosphere thrown in for good measure, like, I don’t know, improving the matchday experience by offering a fanzone with street food eateries and different categories of tickets for those who want a different, yet affordable, experience?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Next season its unlikely they will get 1K fans for any game, as the novelty factor has gone. They don't have the team or squad to challenge for the playoffs, let alone promotion, and for the sweet spot in June and July when there is no football or union competing, they can't even play at PL owing to pitch relaying.....

So I don't think they going to get close to SL.

The question is with crowds around 750 or so will it be worth it to the street food vendors to attend?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Should have stayed at Trailfinders. Perfect ground for a semi-professional club. Hughes is clearly banking on IMG doing all the work or just handing them a Cat A licence. Staying would have allowed them focus on rebuilding without paying rent to Wimbledon and I honestly think league clubs should avoid shares with football clubs if possible. They could sign a short term 1 year lease if promotion to the SL was achieved or even stay at Ealing and invest in the ground.

21 hours ago, Yorks Tim said:

No Bovril neither    

I thought Nasi Goreng played cricket for Pakistan.

• Like 1