Odsal Superdome update

All the best of luck and all,but personally I'd temper any excitement.

First would even £50m really get you a "dome" as described.

Edinburgh of the other code recently moved into their Dam Heath stadium.It holds 7,800 and cost £25.7m when built in 21.

Second would being a city of culture really wish a huge outdoor venue. The days of mass choreographic dancing parades in the cold reside now solely in North Korea and US colleges.

Manchester's new indoor venue-The Factory-for our biannual International Festival cost £25m. It will hold between 5k standing or a more realistic 1.2k sitting. 

Strip the entitlement of a few noisy "names" and "faces" trying to outbid each other to be "bestest" top Bull, I'd easily reckon the vast majority of Bradford supporters are smart, knowledgeable and shrewd enough to desire something practical than fanciful. Leave that to us impetuous Mancs and Sollys..

1 hour ago, northamptoncougar said:

How does a place fit the criteria for City of Culture never mind win the thing? It must be some sort of backwards joke? 

Unless Bradford has changed In the last 6 months since I drove through it then the only “culture” it possessed what the amount of car washes (money laundering fronts for drugs) for £3.50 there were within a mile radius.

Rumour has it refugees land in the City and instantly start grabbing the Rwanda pamphlets. 

You do understand that this thing is not just about giving it to the richest place? Surely the aim is to give places that are maybe down on their luck but have made significant contributions to culture in the past, of which Bradford has done. 

Liverpool was an absolute dump years ago but weirdly, after zillions of pounds investment, it's now much improved. 

Very mysterious. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, The Masked Poster said:

You do understand that this thing is not just about giving it to the richest place? Surely the aim is to give places that are maybe down on their luck but have made significant contributions to culture in the past, of which Bradford has done. 

Liverpool was an absolute dump years ago but weirdly, after zillions of pounds investment, it's now much improved. 

Very mysterious. 

I knew it wasn’t for the “richest” place but genuinely had no idea as to the criteria. I’m sure every uk city can claim to to have made cultural contributions so I wonder what sets Bradford apart? 

14 hours ago, northamptoncougar said:

How does a place fit the criteria for City of Culture never mind win the thing? It must be some sort of backwards joke? 

Unless Bradford has changed In the last 6 months since I drove through it then the only “culture” it possessed what the amount of car washes (money laundering fronts for drugs) for £3.50 there were within a mile radius.

Rumour has it refugees land in the City and instantly start grabbing the Rwanda pamphlets. 

UK City of Culture is a UK-wide programme, developed in collaboration with the devolved administrations in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. The competition is run by DCMS, inviting places across the UK to set out their vision for culture-led regeneration every four years. Derry/Londonderry was the inaugural UK City of Culture in 2013 and the competition is now a permanent fixture in the UK’s cultural calendar.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/uk-city-of-culture-2025-full-guidance-for-long-listed-bidders/uk-city-of-culture-2025-full-application-guidance#:~:text=Eligibility%3A A clear central focus,long programme to be successful.

Edited by JohnM

6 hours ago, northamptoncougar said:

I knew it wasn’t for the “richest” place but genuinely had no idea as to the criteria. I’m sure every uk city can claim to to have made cultural contributions so I wonder what sets Bradford apart? 

Well arts wise there is Delius, JB Priestley, The Brontë Sisters and of course David Hockney. That alone (off the top of my head) is a huge contribution to culture and I don't think most cities can claim that much for a start. 

There's also the social things like the formation of the Labour party (roots at least), the first free school dinners, the education reformer E Forster, Titus Salt. I'm sure I've missed plenty. 

So yeah, it might be skint now and get hardly any funding but it's contributed quite a lot. 

• Like 4

On 15/12/2022 at 11:58, The Daddy said:

The odsal redevelopment application is from governments levelling up fund £4.8bn across the UK over four years. Of this £1.7bn was distributed to 105 projects through the first round in autumn 2021, leaving £3.1bn for the second round and at least one more expected round. Round 1 included £20 million for Bradford wellbeing  and enterprise centre

The bulls have applied for round 2 alongside 524 others Gledhiil bangs on about the £80 million transformation of Odsal. however Bids can be submitted for every UK parliamentary constituency up to a maximum of £20m, so big Nigel needs to find £60 million down the back of his sofa

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, POR said:

The odsal redevelopment application is from governments levelling up fund £4.8bn across the UK over four years. Of this £1.7bn was distributed to 105 projects through the first round in autumn 2021, leaving £3.1bn for the second round and at least one more expected round. Round 1 included £20 million for Bradford wellbeing  and enterprise centre

The bulls have applied for round 2 alongside 524 others Gledhiil bangs on about the £80 million transformation of Odsal. however Bids can be submitted for every UK parliamentary constituency up to a maximum of £20m, so big Nigel needs to find £60 million down the back of his sofa

Applications can be for up to £50m if they meet the criteria for a 'large culture (or transport)' bid by a single applicant and up to £60m for multi-applicant, multi-component project bids

3 hours ago, The Masked Poster said:

Well arts wise there is Delius, JB Priestley, The Brontë Sisters and of course David Hockney. That alone (off the top of my head) is a huge contribution to culture and I don't think most cities can claim that much for a start. 

There's also the social things like the formation of the Labour party (roots at least), the first free school dinners, the education reformer E Forster, Titus Salt. I'm sure I've missed plenty. 

So yeah, it might be skint now and get hardly any funding but it's contributed quite a lot. 

Until now I just thought Delius was the name of an old pub and I've lived here all my life. 🙄

• Haha 1

It might be a long shot but it would be great for Bulls, City of Bradford and sport of Rugby League if this were to come off.

The closer the next election becomes and it's only 2 years away, I'm sure there will be a few 'levelling up' projects that the current government will want to be able to show off.

Until it's dead it's alive.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DimmestStar said:

It might be a long shot but it would be great for Bulls, City of Bradford and sport of Rugby League if this were to come off.

The closer the next election becomes and it's only 2 years away, I'm sure there will be a few 'levelling up' projects that the current government will want to be able to show off.

Schrodingers stadium?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, DimmestStar said:

If it was in Germany , no problem , same with Japan or South Korea , USA probably OK , even the French could just about get it right 

Over here you just know we'd #### it all up , spend double the budget and end up with a big tent 

• 5 weeks later...

Last time I posted on this back in July - when this was announced as a bit of a distraction at an otherwise frustrating Bulls forum - one of the arguments put forward was that Bulls fans should continue to have faith in Mr Woods to give him the opportunity to see this project to fruition. I was sceptical if it ever would....!

Anyway not sure where this leaves us, but hopefully a hearty dose of reality for anyone genuinely concerned about a realistic future for the Bulls 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

27 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

Waiting for the spin now.

What spin? They’ve got an awful ground and facilities so made a bid for levelling up funding to improve the stadium and RL facilities for the club and local people. This, like many other bids has been turned down in favour of others, it was never guaranteed to come off but at least they tried. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 17/12/2022 at 09:41, GUBRATS said:

Yes it is a little derogatory isn't it , ' flat pack ' as if there's a big warehouse somewhere full of piles of stadiums 

We now have the fans of clubs who have added bits here and bits there describing their homes as ' boutique ' 😂 

Part of the problem with this ' Superdome ' idea is you just know it would end up being done on the cheap and would either leak or worse still fall down , if the Bradford/Leeds area needs an indoor arena ( do they already have one ? ) Then build one in the city centre , but not just a roof on a hole in the ground 

For once I agree. Utterly meaningless media buzz word.

All it actually refers to in engineering terms is a form of construction. one that uses  off the shelf materials and assembled them in a way that would allow them to be partially dismantled and used elsewhere. The new stand at BV is a classic example.

it is fundamentally the same as Salfords main stand (same architect) but adapted to have one less level. Both could be taken down and apart from the foundations be rebuilt elsewhere.

This is the only difference between so called flat pack and bespoke stadiums such as the new White Heart Lane. That stadium was designed specifically for Spurs and specifically for that site to a very specific brief. Even then much could be recycled as 75% of it is fundamentally the same as any modern ground.

I seriously doubt all but the biggest Premiership clubs would go bespoke due to cost. Everyone else will buy off the shelf which is not the same as not as good.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

For once I agree. Utterly meaningless media buzz word.

All it actually refers to in engineering terms is a form of construction. one that uses  off the shelf materials and assembled them in a way that would allow them to be partially dismantled and used elsewhere. The new stand at BV is a classic example.

it is fundamentally the same as Salfords main stand (same architect) but adapted to have one less level. Both could be taken down and apart from the foundations be rebuilt elsewhere.

This is the only difference between so called flat pack and bespoke stadiums such as the new White Heart Lane. That stadium was designed specifically for Spurs and specifically for that site to a very specific brief. Even then much could be recycled as 75% of it is fundamentally the same as any modern ground.

I seriously doubt all but the biggest Premiership clubs would go bespoke due to cost. Everyone else will buy off the shelf which is not the same as not as good.

It's a dilemma at times , the LSV is a really good facility , perfect for SL , designed for it , but we ( the board at the time ) actually declined signing up to move in as a tenant prior to its planning and construction , which seems like madness when you consider we were at Hilton Park that we didn't own 

The reason we initially declined was simple , at HP we controlled the revenue streams , our only obligations were to maintain it to an acceptable standard to allow the actual owners ( Grundy Hill who were the board of Leigh RMI , formerly Horwich RMI , ironic considering it stands for ' Railway Mens Institute ' ) to be able to pay non League matches there 

So we refused to sign up to agree to move in , the council ( who didn't contribute any money just the land but we're the underwriters of the project ) then gave us a verbal ultimatum , if we refused the project would still go ahead but without a stadium , Leigh East would have got larger facilities , but the council refused us the option to buy or lease any of the land to the south of Hilton Park , land which was officially Leigh East's car park but we used as parking and crucially was our emergency vehicle access on match days 

The result of this would mean the council could take away our safety certificate and effectively reduce the capacity of Hilton Park to 1,000 , effectively shutting us down 

So much discussion was had but no real options for us , we had to sign up , the deal was partly sweetened by the offering of a sizeable % of the naming rights for the stadium ( 20 years ago naming rights were becoming big business , but have declined following the crash of 2008 ) but is something that has never materialised 

From our POV it's numbers through the door which we need , the rental costs reduce the bigger the attendances ( paying ) are , corporate doesn't make us much ( unlike HP ) and is a constant dispute with the SMC to the point we've considered moving it away from the stadium 

What numbers we can achieve will depend very much on staying in SL and hopefully being competitive , which we really have Dereck to thank for giving us the chance again 

But it is frustrating given the situation 20 + years ago when ' framing the future  ' essentially made it a facilities race for SL inclusion and then along came licencing which should have made it even more so , but I'll not go into that again 

So yes we were ' lucky ' , or not as the case may be ,we had no choice in it actually , it was move in , lose all control over income or shut down and try to find somewhere else to play ( and take the wrath of the fan base and population as we would be blamed for it ) 

The reason we use the market to sell our merchandise is cost ( although town centre works better than stadium for us ) , we initially had a facility at the LSV , but the rent was so high we weren't even covering our costs 

Anyway the snow has stopped so work to do 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1