Le Cam to union

4 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

It's learning the calls and subtleties that's hard...also clearing out rucks /jackalng....can't be learnt overnight.....Burgess is an amazing athlete and he struggled to learn it 

You are forgetting the word "nuance" 

Key terminology in union 

2 minutes ago, Tonka said:

He is a lanky bleeder for a rugby league player though…

The only guy who can address Nelson Asofa-Solomona as "hey, stumpy!"

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

59 minutes ago, Tonka said:

He is a lanky bleeder for a rugby league player though…

Who was the lanky Leeds player from a couple of decades ago. Ended up playing union in the Middle East somewhere. 

McDonald?

Hazy memory!

Edited by Number 16

8 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

No, I'm doing my bit to confound the stereotype that English people can't learn foreign languages!
It's quite fun reading the French RL forums and realising that we don't have a monopoly on moaning about the RFL...

Le Cavalier Fantôme sounds so much more betterer. 😭 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Number 16 said:

Who was the lanky Leeds player from a couple of decades ago. Ended up playing union in the Middle East somewhere. 

McDonald?

Hazy memory!

Wayne McDonald?

e32f1dcb490059bd53739a99b6471e71.jpg

• Like 4

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Not overly convinced he was going to make it above championship level in league, struggled with lateral movement defensively and doesn't yet possess the requisite physicality to accompany such a large frame when attacking.

With the wrestling capability of an average RL defender tall players like Le Cam face an extra challenge as players can obviously get into a dominant position under his shoulders and a group of defenders can then quite easily turn him around and walk him backwards. Unless you have a proportionally large frame like a Nelson Asofa-Solomona or the late footwork of a tall winger like Daniel Tupou height can very much become a disadvantage when running the ball into a group of defenders.

• Like 7

21 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Think he is like Sam Walters at Leeds 

At that height the body needs more time to fill out and strengthen....I think they will both peak late twenties ..... Some Leeds fans see Walters as a prop eventually!

Walters played most of last year as a prop.

On 18/12/2022 at 18:36, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

No he didn't 

He had the odd bench as prop as and when needed (post Holdroyd's madness and various other injuries) ...towards end of year especially 

Majority of games he played second row 

Smith came in for Round 12. From that point he didn't play second row.

39 minutes ago, V02 said:

Smith came in for Round 12. From that point he didn't play second row.

Not true - he came off the bench several times at second row AND prop in the second half of season .....

There was loads of chat about his effectiveness in both on podcasts like Lotpod etc 

Check out some of the second half of season YouTube highlight if you don't believe me ..

I have a pretty strong view on this one. 

This time last year after some good performances in Elite 1 he was talked up by the Dragons as a player likely to do well in SL. 

In a way you could say the same of Romain Franco (who I thought stepped up in superleague but still got binned). 

But after only a few games the coach seemed to trim his homegrown matchday numbers back and  it looks like only Arthur Morgue from that current crop is going to get through. 

For me Le Cam was set up to fail. 

Talked up too much too soon and thrown out too quickly. 

• Like 2

Fancy a game of touch in Cambs or Lincs? DM me 

57 minutes ago, jacobus said:

I have a pretty strong view on this one. 

This time last year after some good performances in Elite 1 he was talked up by the Dragons as a player likely to do well in SL. 

In a way you could say the same of Romain Franco (who I thought stepped up in superleague but still got binned). 

But after only a few games the coach seemed to trim his homegrown matchday numbers back and  it looks like only Arthur Morgue from that current crop is going to get through. 

For me Le Cam was set up to fail. 

Talked up too much too soon and thrown out too quickly. 

The guy is 23 and isn't cutting it, how long do you give him when there are potentially better prospects coming through?

I never saw anything in him or Franco that made me think they could cut it regularly at SL. You can't say McNamara doesn't give homegrown talent a chance - the likes of Romano (who isn't a great defender), Laguerre, Seguier, Da Costa all compete. I expect we'll see more of Rouge this year as well; now he is someone I have high hopes for, even more so than Mourgue

1 minute ago, Madrileño said:

He's just back from a World Cup.

Surely he is at least close to "cutting it" if he is in the national team World Cup squad?

That merely shows how shallow the pool of talent is in France, which has been mentioned frequently before

Funny how we all view the game differently isnt it ! 

I thought both looked prospects and to be fair if he didnt make his debut until 23 some of the blame for that has to be with the club. 

Whilst I agree that the coach gives local players a go, he very rarely sticks with them. 

Fancy a game of touch in Cambs or Lincs? DM me 

10 minutes ago, jacobus said:

if he didnt make his debut until 23 some of the blame for that has to be with the club. 

Whilst I agree that the coach gives local players a go, he very rarely sticks with them. 

Plus all the training, meetings,  presentations etc at the club (pro team anyway) are done in English. Hardly the most supportive/encouraging environment to develop young French players in. 

Edited by Madrileño