Confirmed Squads/Likely Line Ups 2023

Welsby, Makinson, Percival, Hurrell, Bennison, Lomax, Dodd, Walmsley, Roby, Lees, Matautia, Batchelor, Knowles. 

Sironen, Paasi, Lussick, LMS, Norman, Bell and Wingfield to make up the four on the bench. 

Expect to see a little more of Pemberton and Delaney in 2023. 

Dufty, Thewlis, Mata’utia, Ratchford, Ashton, Williams, Drinkwater, Vaughan, Clark, Dudson, Currie, Nicholson, McGuire

Subs: Kasiano, Mikaele, Harrison, Walker

We seem overstocked in the front row, so I expect one of Bullock or Philbin to go out on loan somewhere this year.

Spot still open on the cap for a left centre, but all quota spots used up - seems like slim pickings at present so Ratchford likely to start in the centre, Wrench possible to come in to contention once he is back from his ACL after Easter.

Full squad numbers here https://warringtonwolves.com/news/2022/november/2023-Squad-numbers-confirmed/

Matty Russell has since been added to the squad also.

4 minutes ago, Alffi 7 said:

Dufty, Thewlis, Mata’utia, Ratchford, Ashton, Williams, Drinkwater, Vaughan, Clark, Dudson, Currie, Nicholson, McGuire

Subs: Kasiano, Mikaele, Harrison, Walker

We seem overstocked in the front row, so I expect one of Bullock or Philbin to go out on loan somewhere this year.

Spot still open on the cap for a left centre, but all quota spots used up - seems like slim pickings at present so Ratchford likely to start in the centre, Wrench possible to come in to contention once he is back from his ACL after Easter.

Full squad numbers here https://warringtonwolves.com/news/2022/november/2023-Squad-numbers-confirmed/

Matty Russell has since been added to the squad also.

Look like another year of pain for Warrington fans in 2023

• Like 2

Am half thinking we need separate threads for SL/Championship (or L1) but here's a stab at how Fev might line up, though bear in mind we might not have finished recruitment yet.

1 Caleb Aekins (Kheirallah out injured until at least April)
2 Luke Briscoe
3 Joey Leilua
4 Chris Hankinson
5 Craig Hall
6 Johnathan Ford
7 Thomas Lacans/Riley Dean
8 Craig Kopczak
9 Matty Wildie
10 Junior Moors
11 Josh Hardcastle
12 Brad Day
13 Elijah Taylor

subs
14 Connor Jones
15 Jack Bussey
16 Matthieu Cozza
17 Gadwin Springer

also available: John Davies, James Lockwood, Luke Cooper, Brandon Pickersgill, Tyla Hepi, Gareth Gale, Dan Fleming.

Huddersfield squad and numbers:

1. Jake Connor

2. Jermaine McGillvary 

3. Esan Marsters 

4. Kevin Naiqama 

5. Jake Bibby 

6. Tui Lolohea 

7. Theo Fages 

8. Chris Hill 

9. Nathan Peats 

10. Joe Greenwood 

11. Josh Jones 

12. Chris McQueen 

13. Luke Yates 

14. Ashton Golding 

15. Matty English 

16. Harry Ruston 

17. Owen Trout

18. Seb Ikahihifo 

19. Adam O'Brien 

20. Oliver Wilson

21. Leroy Cudjoe 

22. Harvey Livett 

23. Olly Russell 

24. Sam Halsall 

25. Innes Senior

26. Nathan Mason 

27. Jack Ashworth 

28. George Roby 

29. Sam Hewitt 

30. Fenton Rogers 

31. Jack Bibby

32. Will Pryce

33. Kieran Rush 

34. Aidan McGowan 

Hard to predict our line-up really as there are so many options but i'd hazard a guess we'd look something like

Lolohea

McGillvary

Marsters/Cudjoe/Naiqama

Naiqama/Cudjoe/Marsters

Bibby/Senior

Connor

Fages/Russell

Hill 

Peats

English/Wilson/Trout

Jones

McQueen

Yates

Although the likes of Pryce, Hewitt, Livett, Ikahihifo will probably be in or around too.

• Like 1

Wakefield trinity numbers still only up to 18 but I expect Trinity to line up  something like this:

FB - Max Jowitt

W - Jorge Taufua

C - Samisoni Langi

C - Corey Hall

W - Lewis Murphy

SO - Morgan Smith

SH - Mason Lino

P - Josh Bowden

H - Liam Hood

P - Jai Whitbread

SR - Matty Ashurst

SR - Kevin Proctor

LF - Jordan Crowther

S - Kalepi Tanginoa

S - Renouf Atoni

S - Liam Kay

S - Sam Eseh/Rob Butler

Not sure how but to me we look stronger than start of 2022.

Only question mark for me is the number 6. Smith or Gaskell will have to fight for that. 

Some good players like Reece Lyne, Jay Pitts, Kershaw etc to challenge and some promising young lads another year older in Bowes/Windrow etc. 

Promoted a few young lads too who I think will step up well. 

Edited by Trojan Horse
  • Like 1

I'd expect Saints to start the season, assuming all are fit with:

Welsby, Makinson, Hurrell, Percival, Hopoate, Lomax, Dodd, Walmsley, Roby, Lees, Mata'utai, Batchelor, Knowles
Subs: Sironen, Paasi, Lussick, Wingfield

There is some competition for that wing spot, especially if Hopoate has a bad run with injuries again (though I expect him to start even though Bennison has been given the #5 jersey and we also have Tee Ritson on loan for the year). After last season's injuries in the backline, we look to have favoured depth for 2023.

I also expect this to be the year where we see less of Louie McCarthy-Scarsbook (despite how good he has been in recent years) and Jake Wingfield force his way into the 17.  Bell and Norman will also be pushing for a regular starting spot but I don't see them getting that in the absence of injuries.

Ben Davies played a bit last year but I struggle to see a route to the first team in the absence of an injury crisis. I see a similar struggle for Sam Royle, who I was a bit surprised to see sign a new deal, when he could make the starting line up of several Super League teams. 

Like the earlier poster, I'm looking forward to seeing more of Delaney and Pemberton in 2023.

2 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Am half thinking we need separate threads for SL/Championship (or L1) but here's a stab at how Fev might line up, though bear in mind we might not have finished recruitment yet.

2 Luke Briscoe
3 Joey Leilua
4 Chris Hankinson
5 Craig Hall
6 Johnathan Ford
8 Craig Kopczak
9 Matty Wildie
10 Junior Moors
11 Josh Hardcastle
12 Brad Day
13 Elijah Taylor

subs
14 Connor Jones
15 Jack Bussey
16 Matthieu Cozza
17 Gadwin Springer

also available: John Davies, James Lockwood, Luke Cooper, Brandon Pickersgill, Tyla Hepi, Gareth Gale, Dan Fleming.

The only thing that will stop Fev being promoted with that squad Phantom is Fev themselves, looking forward to visiting POR again in '24 in SL🤞

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Chris22 said:

Welsby, Makinson, Hurrell, Percival, Hopoate, Lomax, Dodd, Walmsley, Roby, Lees, Mata'utai, Batchelor, Knowles

There is some competition for that wing spot, especially if Hopoate has a bad run with injuries again (though I expect him to start even though Bennison has been given the #5 jersey and we also have Tee Ritson on loan for the year). After last season's injuries in the backline, we look to have favoured depth for 2023.

I also expect this to be the year where we see less of Louie McCarthy-Scarsbook (despite how good he has been in recent years) and Jake Wingfield force his way into the 17.  Bell and Norman will also be pushing for a regular starting spot but I don't see them getting that in the absence of injuries.

Ben Davies played a bit last year but I struggle to see a route to the first team in the absence of an injury crisis. I see a similar struggle for Sam Royle, who I was a bit surprised to see sign a new deal, when he could make the starting line up of several Super League teams. 

Like the earlier poster, I'm looking forward to seeing more of Delaney and Pemberton in 2023.

Fingers crossed for Dodd on have an Injury free run, be interesting to see where Welsby ends up this season. A half back pairing of Dodd and Welsby could be great to watch.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ragingbull said:

Look like another year of pain for Warrington fans in 2023

Id agree with that

From having zero props last year they now have a plethora of props in 2023.

That Ratchford/Ashton combination looks weak so they definately need a centre addition. 

I doubt Drinkwater is an improvement and Nicholson is largely unproven at this time. They could be in real trouble 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

2 Luke Briscoe
3 Joey Leilua
4 Chris Hankinson
5 Craig Hall
6 Johnathan Ford
8 Craig Kopczak
9 Matty Wildie
10 Junior Moors
11 Josh Hardcastle
12 Brad Day
13 Elijah Taylor

subs
14 Connor Jones
15 Jack Bussey
16 Matthieu Cozza
17 Gadwin Springer

Thats a strong looking team

They must be very strong faviourites for promotion. 

I will post my widnes team as soon as i can remember who we have signed

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

The only thing that will stop Fev being promoted with that squad Phantom is Fev themselves, looking forward to visiting POR again in '24 in SL🤞

There's a few clubs that will have plenty to say about that, Harry. Will be surprising if we are not one of the stronger teams once again, but we looked to have a strong squad last year yet didn't reach the final and we have a rookie head coach, so it's no wonder fans of plenty of other teams are fancying their chances, especially with a play-off system.

• Like 1

Widnes vikings-possible starting team

1 jack owens

2 brad holroyd

3 will evans

4 matty fleming 

5 keiran dixon

6 danny craven

7 tom gilmour

8 kyle amor

9 matty fozard

10 owen farnworth

11 sam wilde

12 callum field

13 jordan johnstone

14 joe edge

15 lewis hatton

16 ant walker

17 shane grady

18 ollie davies

19 adam lawton

20 joe lyons

21 oliver brookes

Ive put both johnstone and fozard in my starting 13 and holroyd on the wing as he was great at workington. 

Im not entirely sure about Will Evans who we signed from whitehaven but ive stuck him at centre. 

Some widnes fans like adam lawton but i prefer hard working forwards which lawton is not, although he has improved

Id like us to get another centre if im honest and walker looked very unfit in the recent world cup 

But there we have it

2 hours ago, Chris22 said:

Wellens has said Bennison has first crack at the wing spot and I think he’ll keep his word. I can’t see Hopoate as a starter in 2023 given a mixture of what has been said about Bennison, the signing of Ritson, the form of Hurrell and a fully fit Percival again. 

2 minutes ago, The storm said:

Widnes vikings-possible starting team

1 jack owens

2 brad holroyd

3 will evans

4 matty fleming 

5 keiran dixon

6 danny craven

7 tom gilmour

8 kyle amor

9 matty fozard

10 owen farnworth

11 sam wilde

12 callum field

13 jordan johnstone

14 joe edge

15 lewis hatton

16 ant walker

17 shane grady

18 ollie davies

19 adam lawton

20 joe lyons

21 oliver brookes

Ive put both johnstone and fozard in my starting 13 and holroyd on the wing as he was great at workington. 

Im not entirely sure about Will Evans who we signed from whitehaven but ive stuck him at centre. 

Some widnes fans like adam lawton but i prefer hard working forwards which lawton is not, although he has improved

Id like us to get another centre if im honest and walker looked very unfit in the recent world cup 

But there we have it

Will Evans is defensively superb and is a very good, hardworking centre. He won’t let you down at all.

5 hours ago, Alffi 7 said:

If Bullock is surplus to requirements then I'll be happy to see him loaned out to us at Salford.👍

We're in need of a big front rower and I think Rowley would get him firing.

I'll try and post Salford squad/possible 17 later unless anyone wants to beat me to it (just enjoying the final day of my winter break in Fuerteventura 😎)

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, SalfordSlim said:

If Bullock is surplus to requirements then I'll be happy to see him loaned out to us at Salford.👍

We're in need of a big front rower and I think Rowley would get him firing.

I'll try and post Salford squad/possible 17 later unless anyone wants to beat me to it (just enjoying the final day of my winter break in Fuerteventura 😎)

Fuertaventura

Now we are talking

Came back last week from costa calma 

The fuertaventura falcons has a great sound to it 

40 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

There's a few clubs that will have plenty to say about that, Harry. Will be surprising if we are not one of the stronger teams once again, but we looked to have a strong squad last year yet didn't reach the final and we have a rookie head coach, so it's no wonder fans of plenty of other teams are fancying their chances, especially with a play-off system.

Fev certainly have a strong looking side,that backline has some points in them,but it certainly won’t be a one horse race like last year and as you say a few other clubs will be well in the mix come the playoffs.