Salford FC move to AJB is OFF

2 hours ago, johnh1 said:

Same here, Red Willow. The long term injuries in an already small squad are now building up. That bloke with the poster ‘the end is nigh’ in the 70’s might have been right after all.

Wonder what happened to him! 

Ultimately, will Salford RD be any worse off? Sale will need a tenant, and either they'll agree something SRD can manage, ir it'll be SCFC and SRD will move to Moor Lane.

The issue isn't so much where they play, but that wherever it is, in the absence of a major Investor coming in they're going to be tenants to someone.

But that's been the case for years.

6 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

But if SFC are renting off Sale SalfordFC won’t sell their ground they will just make SRD rent it , so it could be even worse then if they just got hold of the ground. 

If you can’t generate money from where you are based then you are fu*ked. At this stage I don’t care where Salford buy either stadium but Salford at Lane, getting Swinton back and both using the facility that’s a world better than a prisoner of someone else 

I don’t buy into this. There’s many ways for a club to make money. Stadium revenue is but one. If it so happens to be that SRD are tenants without an option to earn revenue from the stadium, they’ll need to move onto some other options. 

• Like 3

How much rent are Salford contracted to pay? Head c£750k p.a. Which is way too high. Wigan pay a fraction of that. Move from the Willows was unworkable commercially - SRD should not have moved under the utterly unworkable terms they did. But they did.

SRD been very active - lots of positives, junior pathways, ladies team and great connection with its fans. Stadium move should have been catalyst - been a mill stone. 

Look at York - great modern stadium - its obvious the council there want the deal to work. Seemingly Salford council have tried - but they both in bed with Peel - which is like inviting Jammy Savile to baby sit…

Edited by Pie tries
  • Like 1

Now Salford are competing with their North West rivals in the pre-match entertainment arena..

Ahh no, oops. This is embarrassing.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

10 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

But if SFC are renting off Sale SalfordFC won’t sell their ground they will just make SRD rent it , so it could be even worse then if they just got hold of the ground. 

If you can’t generate money from where you are based then you are fu*ked. At this stage I don’t care where Salford buy either stadium but Salford at Lane, getting Swinton back and both using the facility that’s a world better than a prisoner of someone else 

Sure, but as I said, this isn't any different to the situation they've been in for years. Of course owning or being operator of a stadium would be better than renting for both Salford and Swinton. But one way or another that's a commitment in millions from the clubs, which they don't have, or for the council to underwrite, which it seems it won't.

You have to take what you can get.

My only hope is that the council enforce some sort of obligation on Sale to rent at decent rate to Salford as part of the proposed deal. In my view if they're renting, better to stay at AJ Bell as it has more upside, and the council could enforce this if they wanted to (albeit at a cost to taxpayers).

46 minutes ago, Pie tries said:

How much rent are Salford contracted to pay? Head c£750k p.a. Which is way too high. Wigan pay a fraction of that. Move from the Willows was unworkable commercially - SRD should not have moved under the utterly unworkable terms they did. But they did.

SRD been very active - lots of positives, junior pathways, ladies team and great connection with its fans. Stadium move should have been catalyst - been a mill stone. 

Look at York - great modern stadium - its obvious the council there want the deal to work. Seemingly Salford council have tried - but they both in bed with Peel - which is like inviting Jammy Savile to baby sit…

You have no idea of the history behind this move ?

11 hours ago, Red Willow said:

Wonder what happened to him! 

I guess ultimately, like all of us, he was right 

• Like 2

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

2 hours ago, Just Browny said:

Now Salford are competing with their North West rivals in the pre-match entertainment arena..

Ahh no, oops. This is embarrassing.

Open mic comedy will get the crowd going and be problem free ...

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

This makes interesting reading

https://www.manchesterworld.uk/news/salford-councils-bid-to-become-sole-owners-of-salford-red-devils-stadium-4056216

But this is well .....

"To support Salford Red Devils RUFC and retain them playing in the city of Salford"

Er ...

I think they may have spent too long in the cross code zone, the mental deterioration involved takes its toll in the end.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

1 hour ago, Oxford said:

This makes interesting reading

https://www.manchesterworld.uk/news/salford-councils-bid-to-become-sole-owners-of-salford-red-devils-stadium-4056216

But this is well .....

"To support Salford Red Devils RUFC and retain them playing in the city of Salford"

Er ...

I think they may have spent too long in the cross code zone, the mental deterioration involved takes its toll in the end.

Might have to move to Moor Lane in the long run then  as that statement doesn't guarantee a spot at A J Bell.

And with that any chance of a Grade A?

Let's see what IMG say tomorrow.......

15 hours ago, Red Willow said:

You have no idea of the history behind this move ?

Limited. Please enlighten me…

I have my fingers firmly crossed for Salford - RL needs a strong Salford

• Like 2

On 08/03/2023 at 22:07, del capo said:

Might have to move to Moor Lane in the long run then  as that statement doesn't guarantee a spot at A J Bell.

And with that any chance of a Grade A?

Let's see what IMG say tomorrow.......

Bleasey says they're staying at the AJB.

I think they were never in with a chance of an A.

I've lost all interest in knowing what IMG will say this time or any other.

Edited by Oxford
  • Like 1

History

Around 2000, Salford RLFC owners created a new company called Red City Development, they acquired the land next to White's yard. Spent a long time negotiating with United Utilities over a small strip of access land. They had an iconic stadium planned and applied for planning permission. The Council granted it but John Prescott as Deputy PM called it in. Delay after delay happened, surveys of the brown field site cost more money.  

The directors of Red City offered Sale a buy in and Brian Kennedy refused. it would have been a joint venture with both clubs having access to revenue.

All the delays meant the project took the toil on the Directors of Red City and one of them became insolvent.

The project was failing so the Council and Peel stepped in. They abandoned the stadium plan and went for a soulless box.

Then Marwen hit Salford, took the debt and established a new trading company for the club.

Then Sale jumped on board this is why there is so much resentment.

I still can't decide on Marwen, he probably saved the club at the time, but then caused so many issues afterwards.

Every year we have drama of some sort.

Marwen disbanded the academy because the RFL refused to grant a licence and so funding.

We now have several teams and pathways. Linking up with International developing sides too.

They do a lot of community work and in schools but are always dismissed.

Edited by Red Willow
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3

We often mention confusion between K&C and the real thing and I've already brought up the classic council gaf

"Salford Red Devils RUFC"

the same statement was quoted in an article in the MEN with  this mistake and this one as well

"Salford City Reds RLFC"

A council that employs people who either don't know there's a difference or don't know the name being used by the City's Team, can't be bothered to check and lazy journalism that simply prints mistakes by coucncil workers.

In any case, maybe they simple meant Sale and even putting in SRD with the wrong name was the last and biggest error in the statement.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Yeah it doesn’t comfort anyone 

TBH if it wasn't for the Blease statement and coverage I'd think the council are talking Sale and Moor Lane was the next step and where SRD would finish their story and history.

3 hours ago, Red Willow said:

History

Around 2000, Salford RLFC owners created a new company called Red City Development, they acquired the land next to White's yard. Spent a long time negotiating with United Utilities over a small strip of access land. They had an iconic stadium planned and applied for planning permission. The Council granted it but John Prescott as Deputy PM called it in. Delay after delay happened, surveys of the brown field site cost more money.  

The directors of Red City offered Sale a buy in and Brian Kennedy refused. it would have been a joint venture with both clubs having access to revenue.

All the delays meant the project took the toil on the Directors of Red City and one of them became insolvent.

The project was failing so the Council and Peel stepped in. They abandoned the stadium plan and went for a soulless box.

Then Marwen hit Salford, took the debt and established a new trading company for the club.

I still can't decide on Marwen, he probably saved the club at the time, but then caused so many issues afterwards.

Marwen disbanded the academy because the RFL refused to grant a licence and so funding.

We now have several teams and pathways. Linking up with International developing sides too.

A very useful summary and probably the most accurate and fair comment on Marwan’s tenor

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Oxford said:

We often mention confusion between K&C and the real thing and I've already brought up the classic council gaf

"Salford Red Devils RUFC"

the same statement was quoted in an article in the MEN with  this mistake and this one as well

"Salford City Reds RLFC"

A council that employs people who either don't know there's a difference or don't know the name being used by the City's Team, can't be bothered to check and lazy journalism that simply prints mistakes by coucncil workers.

In any case, maybe they simple meant Sale and even putting in SRD with the wrong name was the last and biggest error in the statement.

Here is the council's statement of strategic intent. It doesn't say "Salford Red Devils RUFC", nor does it say "Salford City Reds RLFC". In your latest rush to get a wallow on, you've failed to check your sources. You can put those gafs (sic) down to that magnificent organ, The Manchester Evening News, a publication currently vying with James Cleverly MP for the much coveted title of World's Biggest Inaptronym*, since it covers more than Manchester, comes out in the morning and contains very little news.

* You'll probably be needing this and this.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Red Willow said:

History

Thanks for the reminders of the whole saga. I remember following this story in the early 00’s when they had various pictures of proposed stadiums (that looked really good) and things looked pretty good from the outside.

I find the whole thing frustrating and sad - and I’m not even a fan. It must have you tearing your hair out!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hammerless Nail said:

Here is the council's statement of strategic intent. It doesn't say "Salford Red Devils RUFC", nor does it say "Salford City Reds RLFC". In your latest rush to get a wallow on, you've failed to check your sources. You can put those gafs (sic) down to that magnificent organ, The Manchester Evening News, a publication currently vying with James Cleverly MP for the much coveted title of World's Biggest Inaptronym*, since it covers more than Manchester, comes out in the morning and contains very little news.

Dear HN

Why do you imagine I didn't suggest that MEN wasn't the problem or SARL especially when I mentioned that it may be the result of poor journalism.

I admit I assumed the quotes were taken from the document because they appeared slightly differently than the rest of the article.

Your personal insinuations and dismissal were unnecessary and uncalled for.

I fixed your problem with me in the only way available on the forum, all the best Oxford.

2 hours ago, Hammerless Nail said:

‘If you look at one of Oxfords previous posts, in Manchester World, does say Salford Red Devil’s RUFC, this could be what the Council put out or an error by Manchester World.

5 hours ago, The Masked Poster said:

Thanks for the reminders of the whole saga. I remember following this story in the early 00’s when they had various pictures of proposed stadiums (that looked really good) and things looked pretty good from the outside.

I find the whole thing frustrating and sad - and I’m not even a fan. It must have you tearing your hair out!!

It was and WSRD and others were there at every step of the way

9 hours ago, Red Willow said:

History

Thanks. Fingers crossed the council deliver. I’m an exiled pie eater - Salford my adopted club -developed a real soft spot. I truly wish SRD well - RL needs a strong Salford 

• Like 1