Latest Englishman to the NRL

Tosh

NRL salary cap rising to 12.1mil (up from 9.6m) in 2023 apparently. Sure the NRL will look over here for some more over the next few years.

Ignore - just seen the dedicated thread to the NRL cap.

Edited by EastLondonMike

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

1 minute ago, The Rocket said:

I like him and can`t wait to see him back, he`s got X-factor.

Hope he does well but like I say he’s not the player he was 4-5 years ago.

whatever happened to the kid who was the “next big thing” signed from Penrith panthers?

2 minutes ago, Tosh said:

Hope he does well but like I say he’s not the player he was 4-5 years ago.

whatever happened to the kid who was the “next big thing” signed from Penrith panthers?

There`s been a couple, but perhaps you`re referring to this one.

NRL 2023: Tim Sheens says returning Wests Tigers duo like ‘new signings’ (smh.com.au)

For all the excitement surrounding the arrival of Isaiah Papali’i, Api Koroisau and David Klemmer, Wests Tigers coach Tim Sheens says you can’t under-estimate the importance of the club’s “other two signings”.

Tommy Talau and Shawn Blore missed all of last season because of injury, and Sheens can’t wait to welcome the return of the 22-year-old pair.

They are great ‘signings’ for us - they didn’t play a game last season, and coming back from knee injuries is a real bonus,” Sheens told the Herald. “To say we missed them is an understatement.

2 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

There`s been a couple, but perhaps you`re referring to this one.

NRL 2023: Tim Sheens says returning Wests Tigers duo like ‘new signings’ (smh.com.au)

For all the excitement surrounding the arrival of Isaiah Papali’i, Api Koroisau and David Klemmer, Wests Tigers coach Tim Sheens says you can’t under-estimate the importance of the club’s “other two signings”.

Tommy Talau and Shawn Blore missed all of last season because of injury, and Sheens can’t wait to welcome the return of the 22-year-old pair.

They are great ‘signings’ for us - they didn’t play a game last season, and coming back from knee injuries is a real bonus,” Sheens told the Herald. “To say we missed them is an understatement.

shawn blore. Think he was a former kangaroo schoolboy captain?

remember him lining up for the Aussie while his brother played for the junior kiwis.

• Like 1

Confirmed then. At least Wigan got a significant fee, whatever that is. Please Wigan stop re-signing these players who go to the NRL:

Wigan Warriors can confirm that John Bateman will leave the Club with immediate effect to take up an opportunity in the NRL.

The Club first heard murmurings that John Bateman wanted to leave in July. After speaking to John, his agent and the Club in question, we made it clear that we wanted John to remain at Wigan and the matter was closed. 

During the World Cup campaign, John let the Club know of his desire to go back to the NRL. He asked to get the World Cup out of the way first, and then pick up discussions. With our desire to help England to do well in the tournament, we agreed to wait. After the tournament, John went on holiday and expressed his uncertainty regarding his future and requested time again to sort out in his own mind what he wanted to do. 

On Wednesday 14th of December, John informed us of his decision that he wants to try the NRL one more time. It has been somewhat of a frustrating period but the Club now accepts that it is in everyone’s best interests that John is allowed a transfer from Wigan. On Friday 23rd December, the paperwork was completed. 

In situations like this, there are obvious consequences. The uncertainty surrounding John’s future means that we have had to delay the squad numbers. The squad numbers have now been signed off and will be communicated between Christmas and New Year.

Secondly, there will be no immediate replacement for John as players have their contracts agreed with their Clubs.  The recruitment of two class centres in Toby King and Jake Wardle means that Willie Isa and Kai Pearce-Paul can move back to their preferred positions at back row and with Liam Farrell and Morgan Smithies, we have lots of options. We will continue to monitor the squad and the marketplace as the 2023 Super League season unfolds. 

As always in these situations, we have acted with the best interests of the Club at heart and we will continue to act in that manner. The Club received a significant transfer fee for John. We thank John for his service over his two stints and we wish him well.

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2022/12/26/bateman-to-leave-wigan/

Really can't understand this sentiment about Bateman.  He is a quality player who has proved himself in Super League and the NRL and a top class edge forward which is where Wests will play him.

• Like 4

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

17 minutes ago, northamptoncougar said:

How many more will join him in the NRL, most of the England squad would cut it, anyone under 30 is a viable option. 

If a player is wanted then they'd be stupid not to. That's the only real limiter. The new salary cap is $11.45 million which split 30 ways gives an average wage of AUD $381k. That is around £211k, which is marquee SL money. Even the minimum wage is around £66k.

An average SL player going to the NRL these days, say a Josh Hodgson type when he first went to the NRL, could quite easily be better paid than anyone in SL and will certainly be paid more than a very select few.

• Like 1

Isn't it time to stop talking about Brits in the NRL? First of all it's getting a bit tedious, much like that League itself. I can't help but think that part of the seeming lack of progress generally is perceiving the NRL the way we all tend to.

Who cares if some players' careers take them them elsewhere?

When people leave your club side do you follow their progress at all?

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

2 minutes ago, Oxford said:

Isn't it time to stop talking about Brits in the NRL? First of all it's getting a bit tedious, much like that League itself. I can't help but think that part of the seeming lack of progress generally is perceiving the NRL the way we all tend to.

I certainly do. It's great to see them take that step up to the big league.

4 minutes ago, Oxford said:

I really like following the Brits in the NRL and discussing their progress and impact.

Can we not carry on talking about it, please?

If we make sure we include 'Brits' and 'NRL' in any title then you won't have to click on it and be forced to read it, would that work?

Edited by Dunbar

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

22 minutes ago, Damien said:

If a player is wanted then they'd be stupid not to. That's the only real limiter. The new salary cap is $11.45 million which split 30 ways gives an average wage of AUD $381k. That is around £211k, which is marquee SL money. Even the minimum wage is around £66k.

An average SL player going to the NRL these days, say a Josh Hodgson type when he first went to the NRL, could quite easily be better paid than anyone in SL and will certainly be paid more than a very select few.

Think there is a bit more to the decision than money though.  Yes, £200-300k is a decent salary but uprooting your life and moving to Australia is a huge step.  Some will absolutely love it and some will find being away from family and friends too much.

I certainly wouldn't have been emotionally mature enough to make that move in my early 20's, maybe a bit later.  I admire anyone who takes up the challenge but wouldn't label anyone who doesn't as stupid.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Oxford said:

I find the NRL far from tedious. Its the best Rugby competition in the World with some outstanding Rugby players.

This is a thread titled latest Englishman to the NRL, you obviously care enough to open the thread to comment. Obviously many others also care enough to comment and it is quite evident that many on here follow the NRL and the fortunes of the English players.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I really like following the Brits in the NRL and discussing their progress and impact.

Can we not carry on talking about it, please?

If we make sure we include 'Brits' and 'NRL' in any title then you won't have to click on it and be forced to read it, would that work?

If it floats your boat no problem Dunbar.

24 minutes ago, JohnM said:

I certainly do. It's great to see them take that step up to the big league.

I can't see the attraction but there you go!

Though that "step up" is part & parcel of this whole idea.

More or less everyone knows some players are good enough to play at any level and although some of them may need to prove themselves to be certain or earn far more in a short career or both it's as plain as a pikestaff ( always wanted to use that phrase) who they are. They certainly never need to prove themselves to their fans.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political