Ike Southward Memorial Trophy

homeandawayer

Finally some rugby to watch this weekend! How do we see it going?

Have they lost more players than they've signed and at least one waiting for a visa? I think we've recruited well from where we were at the end of last season and got rid of the travellers who added very little. We shouldn't be lacking in the pack this year. It's still a championship side against a league 1 side with quite a few amateurs so we go as underdogs. I wasn't bothered about Doran going after his indifferent season but i think he'll make the difference on Sunday as it's yet to be seen if we've got somebody who can control a game.

1 hour ago, homeandawayer said:

Finally some rugby to watch this weekend! How do we see it going?

Have they lost more players than they've signed and at least one waiting for a visa? I think we've recruited well from where we were at the end of last season and got rid of the travellers who added very little. We shouldn't be lacking in the pack this year. It's still a championship side against a league 1 side with quite a few amateurs so we go as underdogs. I wasn't bothered about Doran going after his indifferent season but i think he'll make the difference on Sunday as it's yet to be seen if we've got somebody who can control a game.

Would just want us to put in a solid performance that gives confidence to everyone involved with the club for the season ahead. UTT.

• Like 2

It seems to have been a long off season after one of the worst years on the field I can remember so can't wait for this Sunday.

Yeah it's gonna be a difficult one to call, there have been all sorts of stories at work about the disharmony between the players and certain directors and that they are miles behind in their prep. But it's still a derby and once their players pull the jerseys on they won't be thinking about who is owed what. We know what JD can bring to the table and he will be desperate to get the Haven fans that have been so nice to him over years off his back so we can expect a big game from him along with Cus. 

Having said all that we are a very unknown quantity, with a new coach and loads of new faces from the community clubs which will be a step up for them. So I don't have a lot of expectation but I know our new lads will also want to show us what they are about. I think we will more than give them a game, and if the lads all have a dig and we show a bit more than we did last year in attack then I'll walk away content regardless of the result.

Looking forward to it, and the game will only mean nowt if you lose, as it's for the Ike. Pleased we play them in the first of the friendlies as the pitch will be a bog in a months time if it keeps raining. I can't predict our lads to lose so I'm going for Haven 16 Town 28. And Ike returns home again UTT.

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

It will be good to get back to some rugby. Both sets of supporters will be looking for different things while wanting the win. Honestly don’t know what to expect from Whitehaven. Just pleased we will be playing. The well publicised troubles that have disrupted pre season will have an effect I’m sure. Also with a lot of new faces in pivotal positions may lead to a lack of cohesion for us. Likewise you have a lot of new faces in similar positions so will face the same problems. The game won’t reflect the season the clubs will have. I just hope it’s an enjoyable game without the players being too rusty. Good luck. 

Given where we were last year and the situation we were in, just pleased that we’ve got a squad together. A big well done to the bod for achieving that and getting a coach in quickly. Lots of unknowns about us really with a lot of young signings, but also some experience,  so hopefully the 3 friendlies give them all a chance to show what they can do. Not sure how we’ll get on this Sunday but after a tough pre season I’m sure they’re all raring to go. 
I was all for calling it a day after last season but definitely got the excitement back for the new season, let’s hope we play a good brand of rugby and have a good year.

• Like 6

Quite alot of rain forecast for this week so expecting heavy conditions. Knowing how the surface performs in heavy conditions I expect it to be a middles game. Hopefully with us having what seems like a very positive pre season we can cause some what of an upset. 

Haven always turn up on Derby day though and whatever difficulties they've been having will be put behind then for 80 minutes. They should still be considerable favourites 

Let's just hope for a good confidence building performance and no serious injuries.

• Like 1

Just looking forward to seeing some rugby league at last , after what we went through last season and what troubles haven had lately I'm just pleased both teams have came through it and are playing again , hoping for a town win but both teams out their is the winner for me .

• Like 6

18 hours ago, havenhater said:

Any word on the 3 haven trialists

Heard John Hutchins is one don't know if true 

go **** yasell ya little **** gain NL1 then take ya **** out ya dads **** then speak proper rugby talk. you jameating little spotty ****...itchy waa waa 2008...

I'm expecting a tight error strewn game - both sides will be very rusty and with so many new faces on show for both sides its unfair to expect anything else really.

That said I do fancy Town to win this one, Jonty has worked with his players for a few seasons now, but I'm hoping Town's young guns will show us there's no substitute for youth !!

Foil blankets and hot soup at the ready !!

My daughter bought me some heated gloves for christmas, so they could also be making their debut this weekend !! 🤣

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, DocH said:

Shame if so, one I would have retained.

Was ok in spells but for a traveller I would hope for better.

Happier to have re-signed Tom Curwen rather than retain John Hutchings 

Close game on Sunday I think, Haven might be low on numbers and behind in their preparation but they have the better players so might sneak it for me

• Like 2

Havens trialists Ross ainley Lewis pinder from Wigan and a mate of one of the new aussies who's already based in England . 4 season long loans to be confirmed in next few weeks 1 from Hull 3 from cas should knock squad upto 27 or 28