Ike Southward Memorial Trophy

homeandawayer

1 hour ago, The Voodooguru said:

You two are worse than my kids! Hope you're both gonna grow a pair and meet for a pint later. 

Good luck to the lads today, excited to see our new squad in action. Obviously big underdogs today but I still think we will give them a game. UTT!  

Don't think he goes to town matches- just comes on here for some reason.

UP THE TOWN

• Haha 1

First half we went well. 2nd half we struggled. 

Havens 2 tries after half time won them the game but we could have played all night and Town wouldn't have scored, penalties and unforced errors meant we put ourselves under to much pressure and Havens better players turned the screw. 

Still plenty of positives though but also plenty to work on

UTT 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Haven Rugby League said:

First half Town were better team 2nd half combinations started to click & Haven became pretty dominant - boggy track helps no one 👍🏻

Thought the pitch held up well tbh thought town looked ok first half and it was a real arm wrestle but I thought 2nd half we introduced some key players and we dominated the 2nd but quite impressed with some of the town players tbh was a better game than I was expecting good luck town 

• Like 3

Some positives in the game, nice solo try from Walker with lovelly dummy,  really liked the look of Hurst in centre and thought Key and McNicholas held their own when introduced, towns best for me was Burns at fullback, hardly put a foot wrong all game ( except for knock on when upended)

Looked like we struggled with pace of the game in second half and Jamie caught us out wide a few times, I have to agree with earlier post that we looked unlikely to score in second half, not much idea in attack unfortunately, but hey only first hit out so things can only get better 

Edited by Onreport
  • Like 2

Some really good performances especially Jordan burns but christ think he'll be sore tomorrow after that deon hit 🙈 big shout for kirkup after smashing Jamie Doran 👏👏

• Like 3

go **** yasell ya little **** gain NL1 then take ya **** out ya dads **** then speak proper rugby talk. you jameating little spotty ****...itchy waa waa 2008...

Good to see a game of rugby again, especially after last season. 

Plenty of positives for us and some promising new faces. There needs to be quite a lot of work done in training with ball in hand as we didn't really create anything from the training pitch, but still time yet.  Thought our defence was pretty good, although we got rolled on our right edge a few times, and second half we lost the ruck too often and let them get a roll on. Hurst & Jordan Burns were our best new faces although I thought most of the others showed up well.

Thought Haven played 2 different halves of rugby and fair play they had too much for us. Cus & Bishop went well for them, & JDs influence grew as the game went on when he moved positions. Pitch was better than I expected but I didn't expect much.

Thought ref and one of his his touchies were poor, very inconsistent. 

Oh and very sneaky of Haven letting hundreds through the gate as cash only which will no doubt disappear from the official head count....

Edited by The Voodooguru

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

2 minutes ago, The Voodooguru said:

Good to see a game of rugby again, especially after last season. 

Plenty of positives for us and some promising new faces. There needs to be quite a lot of work done in training with ball in hand as we didn't really create anything from the training pitch, but still time yet.  Thought our defence was pretty good, although we got rolled on our right edge a few times, and second half we lost the ruck too often and let them get a roll on. Hurst & Jordan Burns were our best new faces although I thought most of the others showed up well.

Thought Haven played 2 different halves of rugby and fair play they had too much for us. Cus & Bishop went well for them, & JDs influence grew as the game went on when he moved positions. Pitch was better than I expected but I didn't expect much.

Thought ref and one of his his touchies were poor, very inconsistent. 

Oh and but sneaky of Haven letting hundreds through the gate as cash only which will no doubt disappear from the official head count....

I thought game would be delayed look of fans trying to get in when game was kicking off looked a very healthy crowd of 2k plus so should help both clubs out 

2 minutes ago, Havenfan13 said:

I thought game would be delayed look of fans trying to get in when game was kicking off looked a very healthy crowd of 2k plus so should help both clubs out 

We were stood about 50 yards past the miners and word came that they only had 2 on the gates so we expected a delayed ko. But it started moving fast as they opened the gates and literally hundreds were streaming through with about 4 blokes with handfuls of cash letting folk in.

• Like 1

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

Work for both teams,good effort by all the players but the quality wasn't there from both teams in attack, bit of a Forward battle on the soft ground which haven won hands down,biggest disappointed for me was towns poor kicking game and passing from the halfs,walker took his try well but need more creativity from town going forward. Havens half's were the difference on the day.but least we have something to build on👍

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Town utd said:

Work for both teams,good effort by all the players but the quality wasn't there from both teams in attack, bit of a Forward battle on the soft ground which haven won hands down,biggest disappointed for me was towns poor kicking game and passing from the halfs,walker took his try well but need more creativity from town going forward. Havens half's were the difference on the day.but least we have something to build on👍

First hit out for both sides so a bit of clunkiness in attack is to be expected,especially with new combinations having to bed in.

Great to see both teams coming together after the hooter to pay their respects to Logan Holgate.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The Voodooguru said:

We were stood about 50 yards past the miners and word came that they only had 2 on the gates so we expected a delayed ko. But it started moving fast as they opened the gates and literally hundreds were streaming through with about 4 blokes with handfuls of cash letting folk in.

Well that won't be seen again 😆

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hate the rec said:

Well that won't be seen again 😆

Couldn't get to the game today, but I'm sure both coach's will have gained a lot from the game and will be looking at what areas have to be improved on and will get a idea of the the players ability's.

10 minutes ago, Hate the rec said:

What's people's thoughts on the attendance today, I would say about 2135 but probably be given as 1375 😉

Aye and 1350 of them from haven

• Haha 1

go **** yasell ya little **** gain NL1 then take ya **** out ya dads **** then speak proper rugby talk. you jameating little spotty ****...itchy waa waa 2008...

7 hours ago, Hate the rec said:

What's people's thoughts on the attendance today, I would say about 2135 but probably be given as 1375 😉

I remember the 2013 season when we played them in the league and it kicked off at 12 which badly affected the attendance, it was given as 1700 or somewhere near. A few weeks later we were back again for a challenge cup game and they were twice as many in the ground. I remember everyone laughing when they announced the 1200 attendance which was split with us. All clubs probably do it no doubt but that was beyond a joke. Bradford Bulls in the play off final was the worst I've ever seen, they lopped 4k off. 🙄

I think all the pieces are there for us to do ok, big props, hardworking props, multiple young backrowers , some talent in the backs . Just need to see if the "spine" can put it all together to create chances and therefore tries, something that was lacking last year and is often lacking in Town teams.

Who was your best three ? I'd go for Bickerdike, Steele and Sabutey (promise of more to come).

• Like 2