Challenge Cup Draw 2023

1 hour ago, Cumbria1 said:

Challenge Cup should be open to all community clubs not just those who win there regional league or who play in the NCL

I get that but at what point do you stop? Can’t have 60,70,80 community clubs in the early rounds. Would take 2/3 extra preliminary rounds which just dilutes the competition for them clubs. I think they have it nearly right in fairness

5 hours ago, Cumbria1 said:

Challenge Cup should be open to all community clubs not just those who win there regional league or who play in the NCL

You’d have to start the early rounds in November !!

Given the state of the National Cup these days most clubs in regional leagues wouldn’t be interested given the possible travelling expenses involved.

• Like 1

On 10/01/2023 at 17:16, Davo5 said:

You’d have to start the early rounds in November !!

Given the state of the National Cup these days most clubs in regional leagues wouldn’t be interested given the possible travelling expenses involved.

Could then be put into  the national cup if knocked out before round 2 

On 11/01/2023 at 22:02, Keep The Faith said:

Could then be put into  the national cup if knocked out before round 2 

The barla national cup is open invite to all, think there was 19 this year who entered, and blackbrook pulled out in the preliminary round v Siddal leaving 18. Not many teams want to play in it anymore, sad but true 

• 2 weeks later...

Hard to believe that the fixtures aren't even showing on the our rugby-league.com website.  Very poor for the rfl's premier competition only 3 weeks away.  Will there be a game on the BBC iPlayer like last year?

Edited by wiggler
Date error

On 22/01/2023 at 09:49, wiggler said:

Hard to believe that the fixtures aren't even showing on the our rugby-league.com website.  Very poor for the rfl's premier competition only 3 weeks away.  Will there be a game on the BBC iPlayer like last year?

they are on the website now.

I expect  the delay has been because they have been awaiting confirmation pf day and k o times as these are not universal

9 minutes ago, del capo said:

they are on the website now.

I expect  the delay has been because they have been awaiting confirmation pf day and k o times as these are not universal

I do not understand the ? against Hammersmith. Anyone know if there is a problem ?

The 5pm k o suggests it might be televised.....

On 13/01/2023 at 00:29, usain bolt said:

The barla national cup is open invite to all, think there was 19 this year who entered, and blackbrook pulled out in the preliminary round v Siddal leaving 18. Not many teams want to play in it anymore, sad but true 

Keeping it a winter cup when the vast majority played summer killed it off

On 30/01/2023 at 12:58, Spidey said:

Keeping it a winter cup when the vast majority played summer killed it off

Would it have been a success moving it to a summer cup, there are no summer cups now as the ncl got rid of theirs, so there's no saying the barla cup would be any better off being played in summer as there seems to be no appetite for any summer cups now. The ncl don't have any leeway in the season it seems, a few blank weekend's for catch up fixtures if needed looking at the fixture list 

Early start (11am), on the 11th, for West Bowling and Waterhead. I assume, at 3pm, Bradford Park Avenue v Leamington, in football's National League North, happens on the same pitch.

Handy - for me, at least - that Heworth-Oulton is on the Sunday. May well get along to that.

4 hours ago, usain bolt said:

Would it have been a success moving it to a summer cup, there are no summer cups now as the ncl got rid of theirs, so there's no saying the barla cup would be any better off being played in summer as there seems to be no appetite for any summer cups now. The ncl don't have any leeway in the season it seems, a few blank weekend's for catch up fixtures if needed looking at the fixture list 

The Barla National cup is probably fixtured in the right slot but has never been aligned to the rest of the community game { Pennine apart }  and over  the years has  sometimes suffered from seemingly poor off the cuff organisation , last minute walk overs  et al - nightmare for club secretaries organising facility usage transport food etc.

NCL delivers week in week out fixtures with severe consequences for miscreants. League fixtures take priority over all but the CC. a stand welcomed by it's members. But it provides back up dates and rarely trespasses into Bank Holiday weekends.

IF Barla could get down to  say it's last 8 by early March each year and then use those  NCL spare dates to complete the event. with much better publicised format and liaison with NCL then more clubs might well show an interest....

• Like 1

On 01/02/2023 at 18:55, del capo said:

The Barla National cup is probably fixtured in the right slot but has never been aligned to the rest of the community game { Pennine apart }  and over  the years has  sometimes suffered from seemingly poor off the cuff organisation , last minute walk overs  et al - nightmare for club secretaries organising facility usage transport food etc.

NCL delivers week in week out fixtures with severe consequences for miscreants. League fixtures take priority over all but the CC. a stand welcomed by it's members. But it provides back up dates and rarely trespasses into Bank Holiday weekends.

IF Barla could get down to  say it's last 8 by early March each year and then use those  NCL spare dates to complete the event. with much better publicised format and liaison with NCL then more clubs might well show an interest....

I totally agree, the ncl is the premier competition and has more stability, and looking at this year's draw, very few winter based teams have entered the barla cup, more ncl clubs have entered, probably more as a pre season requisite than anything else, although the blanks in the ncl season seem to allow progress to the semis and final this time around without a problem of having 2 fixtures on the same day if there's progress to those latter rounds by an ncl team. 

Maybe more teams would enter the barla cup if they knew prior that there wouldn't be a clash of fixtures, league ncl fixture/barla semi or final on the same day, but that dialogue doesn't seem to happen. A knockout tournament whether it be the barla cup or not was always a nice change to the week to week league campaign but nowadays it seems more of a hindrance, I just don't know why that is, players I guess just seem to want the most minimal of formats maybe 

I think all ncl clubs should be entered into the challenge cup. Bit unfair just the top 20 in my opinion.

Maybe div 2 and 3 teams go into preliminary rounds with community clubs, then 1st round the prem and div 1 teams enter.

Could maybe tie this in with the national cup so any team that doesn't make the 2nd round of Challenge Cup goes automatically into national cup? 

Play the games on consecutive weekends or until end of feb or start of the summer season. That way teams are playing before the season, teams will have prepared for CC and it won't be just for a 1 off game if knocked out of CC untill mid march when season starts.

34 minutes ago, topcentre21 said:

I think all ncl clubs should be entered into the challenge cup. Bit unfair just the top 20 in my opinion.

Maybe div 2 and 3 teams go into preliminary rounds with community clubs, then 1st round the prem and div 1 teams enter.

Could maybe tie this in with the national cup so any team that doesn't make the 2nd round of Challenge Cup goes automatically into national cup? 

Play the games on consecutive weekends or until end of feb or start of the summer season. That way teams are playing before the season, teams will have prepared for CC and it won't be just for a 1 off game if knocked out of CC untill mid march when season starts.

Betfred CC provides  a budget  for these early rounds which is not elastic. Hence the selection process involving only the ranked better by performance clubs.

A travel grant of £300, £500, or £750 depending on return mileage is paid from the outset , together with a participation payment for those eliminated at round 2 onwards.( when League 1 enters ). Even then some clubs decline their invite.

Travel alone by coach for instance from Halifax to Workington has recently been quoted at £1650.......

I am not aware of any Barla subsidies for their Cups.

I fear that in the real world of Community clubs finances  your idea would not get much traction.

• Like 1

There would be too many walk overs as clubs weigh up their chances against cost.

That's one of the factors that undermined Barla and even local cups. No incentive for a lower Tier 5 side to travel half the country to face a pasting from an NCL giant. And no meaningful sanctions

Walk overs in the Challenge Cup itself would look simply terrible ( and I believe it may have happened once before ). Can you imagine the damage to our credibility if such  an occurrence were  allowed to happen ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, del capo said:

There would be too many walk overs as clubs weigh up their chances against cost.

That's one of the factors that undermined Barla and even local cups. No incentive for a lower Tier 5 side to travel half the country to face a pasting from an NCL giant. And no meaningful sanctions

Walk overs in the Challenge Cup itself would look simply terrible ( and I believe it may have happened once before ). Can you imagine the damage to our credibility if such  an occurrence were  allowed to happen ?

Yes I agree with you.

I was just trying to give an alternative maybe, or try and get rfl,ncl and barla working together.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...