Friendlies

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

Sheffield 36-24 Doncaster

Donny showed up really well, Eagles very wasteful with their chances, a bit of biff too in the South Yorkshire derby. Decent enough crowd too.

Another good run out for both sides. Some satisfying performances from a couple of lads who in theory wouldn't necessarily be 1st choice. 4 didn't play (Tali, Ferres, James and Wilkinson) because, while fit, weren't risked due to the artificial pitch. It gave the likes of Hey, Sanderson etc a chance so no complaints. Very promising.

Oh and Elliot Hall looks like he'll tear it up at league 1 level.

Edited by Rene_Artois

Just got back from Barrow. What a proper good rugby league day out. The young Wigan players may have lost the game but it will be a valuable experience for them. The Barrow fans created a great atmosphere. Good luck to them for the season.

7 minutes ago, Nate90 said:

Just got back from Barrow. What a proper good rugby league day out. The young Wigan players may have lost the game but it will be a valuable experience for them. The Barrow fans created a great atmosphere. Good luck to them for the season.

Always is 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, paulwalker71 said:

Leeds Rhinos 24 Bradford Bulls 10

just before a new season have regularly seen the Headingley pitch looking like a bowling green - that was an utter disgrace today - let's hope they can salvage something out of it before  the season starts proper

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

3 hours ago, EagleEyePie said:

O'Neill was solid but we were much better with Forber on the field.

That's interesting.  I think O'Neill is a very good prospect and if Wigan have another one on the conveyer belt a couple of years younger then if may be a strong position.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

50 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Thought the Bulls were really poor lacked discipline and a bit error strewned - not that these games mean much

Rhinos young kids again looked good

Serious question what is going on with conditioning at Leeds, another selected player dropped out just before kick off,  Newman crocked again,  Fusitua won't play in cold weather,new fullback injured in training.....kids will have to be good. 

34 minutes ago, Tippytoe said:

Serious question what is going on with conditioning at Leeds, another selected player dropped out just before kick off,  Newman crocked again,  Fusitua won't play in cold weather,new fullback injured in training.....kids will have to be good. 

Olpherts was ill, same with Fusitua and Newman is recovering from a hamstring issue.

not much point playing players who aren’t 100% fit in a pre season friendly 

12 hours ago, Rene_Artois said:

Another good run out for both sides. Some satisfying performances from a couple of lads who in theory wouldn't necessarily be 1st choice. 4 didn't play (Tali, Ferres, James and Wilkinson) because, while fit, weren't risked due to the artificial pitch. It gave the likes of Hey, Sanderson etc a chance so no complaints. Very promising.

Oh and Elliot Hall looks like he'll tear it up at league 1 level.

Got to think Donny will be right up there in League 1 if they can perform like that regularly.

• Like 1

The Wakefield v Fev game was in my opinion the pick of the friendlies and so it proved. Plenty of pride and a bit of spite, and as closely matched as you can get between most of SL and the Championship

Fev almost certainly the best Championship team, Trinity as ever far better that the pundits suggest.

Very competitive game. Fev threw everything at Trinity in the first half as you'd expect but were largely thwarted by some first class scrambling defence, which pleased me. All the same in attacking terms Fev were the better team by some way.

In the second half when Trinity realised this was more than just a training run and they rallied. Fitness and finish was the key, Fev were tired and Trinity knew how to take full advantage, something we have been missing for a few years now. It took some stonking tries for us to win, there were no walk ins, we had to play hard and well to win that.

From a Trinity perspective, Proctor and Atoni look first class signings, Proctor in particular looks what he is, a seasoned pro. Two friendlies and he's got stuck into both. The rest of the team looks more balanced though I prefer Morgan Smith to Gaskell myself.

Oh, and the Lineham seems to want to play again, which was an unexpected bonus to be honest.

Fev are a huge team, though I thought a couple of their forwards were a bit blubbery, ok for now but may need sorting. However they are well organised, strong up the middle and have good halves. Hard to see anyone who can challenge them this year.

1 hour ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

The Wakefield v Fev game was in my opinion the pick of the friendlies and so it proved. Plenty of pride and a bit of spite, and as closely matched as you can get between most of SL and the Championship

Fev almost certainly the best Championship team, Trinity as ever far better that the pundits suggest.

Very competitive game. Fev threw everything at Trinity in the first half as you'd expect but were largely thwarted by some first class scrambling defence, which pleased me. All the same in attacking terms Fev were the better team by some way.

In the second half when Trinity realised this was more than just a training run and they rallied. Fitness and finish was the key, Fev were tired and Trinity knew how to take full advantage, something we have been missing for a few years now. It took some stonking tries for us to win, there were no walk ins, we had to play hard and well to win that.

From a Trinity perspective, Proctor and Atoni look first class signings, Proctor in particular looks what he is, a seasoned pro. Two friendlies and he's got stuck into both. The rest of the team looks more balanced though I prefer Morgan Smith to Gaskell myself.

Oh, and the Lineham seems to want to play again, which was an unexpected bonus to be honest.

Fev are a huge team, though I thought a couple of their forwards were a bit blubbery, ok for now but may need sorting. However they are well organised, strong up the middle and have good halves. Hard to see anyone who can challenge them this year.

Tom Lineham played ok  when he was on loan to us,glad he's picked up.

6 hours ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

My (Fev-oriented) take on the game at Wakefield...
Fev had much the better of the first half, four or five line breaks compared to none for Wakefield and a couple of tries from kicks. Riley Dean again showing on a couple of occasions that he can create openings. Wakefield never really threatened at all and the only time they made it as far as the Fev 20m was in a 10-tackle set.

Second half two things altered.  Fev made several changes, removing Riley Dean, switching Aekins from full back to half back, then a few minutes into the second half switching Lacans from half to hooker and moving Elijah Taylor away from middle to edge.

Secondly you really got the impression Wakefield had had a rocket up their backsides as they came out defending (in particular) like men possessed, in fact they were very impressive in that regard, throwing three or four players into most tackles and frequently forcing Fev to kick from deep in their own territory, which added to the fact that Fev had no recognised halves/kickers meant that Wakefield were repeatedly in good ball.

Wakefield were steadily winning the arm wrestle and after surviving the first four or five sets Fev's defence started to give way and Wakefield got on top. When Fev finally managed to get some field position they didn't help themselves by turning over the ball 4 times through ill-advised offloads.

From Fev's POV it will have done them good to have been under the cosh for so long as they were in the second half. Wakefield fans will take plenty of encouragement from the second half if not the first.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

My (Fev-oriented) take on the game at Wakefield...
Fev had much the better of the first half, four or five line breaks compared to none for Wakefield and a couple of tries from kicks. Riley Dean again showing on a couple of occasions that he can create openings. Wakefield never really threatened at all and the only time they made it as far as the Fev 20m was in a 10-tackle set.

Second half two things altered.  Fev made several changes, removing Riley Dean, switching Aekins from full back to half back, then a few minutes into the second half switching Lacans from half to hooker and moving Elijah Taylor away from middle to edge.

Secondly you really got the impression Wakefield had had a rocket up their backsides as they came out defending (in particular) like men possessed, in fact they were very impressive in that regard, throwing three or four players into most tackles and frequently forcing Fev to kick from deep in their own territory, which added to the fact that Fev had no recognised halves/kickers meant that Wakefield were repeatedly in good ball.

Wakefield were steadily winning the arm wrestle and after surviving the first four or five sets Fev's defence started to give way and Wakefield got on top. When Fev finally managed to get some field position they didn't help themselves by turning over the ball 4 times through ill-advised offloads.

From Fev's POV it will have done them good to have been under the cosh for so long as they were in the second half. Wakefield fans will take plenty of encouragement from the second half if not the first.

Pretty good assessment there.  1st half was so one sided territorially that I was shouting for us to go for a drop goal the only time we got close enough. 😉 Didn't fancy being the 2nd Super League side to be nilled by them.  Good tackle practise though.

Edited by Wollo Wollo Wayoo

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

22 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

Olpherts was ill, same with Fusitua and Newman is recovering from a hamstring issue.

not much point playing players who aren’t 100% fit in a pre season friendly 

Smith said Fusitua would play v Bradford? If Mcdonald gets ill or injured who is back up for start of Super league.

1 hour ago, Tippytoe said:

Smith said Fusitua would play v Bradford? If Mcdonald gets ill or injured who is back up for start of Super league.

Ryse martin, Ash Handley, Olpherts, Edwards have all played centre in the friendlies.

Fusitua hadn’t quite got over his illness why risk him?

5 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Ryse martin, Ash Handley, Olpherts, Edwards have all played centre in the friendlies.

Fusitua hadn’t quite got over his illness why risk him?

Ryse Martin is Leeds best 2nd rower and Olpherts and Handley are wingers and Edwards struggled at championship I was thinking Gannon might slot in ?

51 minutes ago, Tippytoe said:

Ryse Martin is Leeds best 2nd rower and Olpherts and Handley are wingers and Edwards struggled at championship I was thinking Gannon might slot in ?

That’s why they’ve been playing at centre in the friendlies of n case they are needed for cover - Gannon has been playing stand off.

12 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

That’s why they’ve been playing at centre in the friendlies of n case they are needed for cover - Gannon has been playing stand off.

Yes it doesn't bode well dose it the pack looks good but the backline is like last year,can't put out the same for 2 games on the bounce suppose time will tell.

36 minutes ago, Tippytoe said:

Yes it doesn't bode well dose it the pack looks good but the backline is like last year,can't put out the same for 2 games on the bounce suppose time will tell.

Last year when we got the Grand Final?

Our back is much much better this year, it will be an interesting season for us with Smith having a full off season and signing a lot of younger 'projects'.

16 hours ago, Tippytoe said:

I'm unconvinced that having watched MacDonald last season that he wil prove to be a good centre in SL, Leigh had no reason to put him out on the wing with having Inu and Ferguson commanding those positions , most of the not to many tries scored against Leigh went through the centre position he was defending and his ball distribution was not the best. 

Hasn't Rohan already stated that his best form in Aus was as a winger, he is very good under the high ball, I can see why Rohan is looking at alternatives for a centre position from the squad and ultimately I see Nene's selection will be out wide.