Friendlies

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Weird incident that saw Mcguire sent off on his debut in the aftermath of Curries winning try. Nobody seems to know why. 

Dissent to the touch judge I think. Probably used the F-bomb or something. Shame as McGuire seems every bit the on-field leader he promises to be, in terms of passion and effort.

• Like 1

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

9 hours ago, Desert Skipper said:

Dissent to the touch judge I think. Probably used the F-bomb or something. Shame as McGuire seems every bit the on-field leader he promises to be, in terms of passion and effort.

Yeah, dissent was the only thing I heard. Weirdly, watching the tries back, when Currie scores he is there celebrating with the players, so God knows why only 60 secs later he's got himself red carded in a friendly! 

Wakey 0 Hull FC 56.

As you might expect, I’m not getting carried away, only 3 likely starters in Wakey’s line up v a strong Hull team.

Impressed with my lot nonetheless, both Tex Hoy and Jake Clifford looked sharp.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

Wigan 18-4 Salford HT.  2 for French (picked up loose ball with last play of the half and went 60 metres) & KPP with the other. Cross for Salford in right corner from cut-out Brodie pass.

2 Williams "tries" disallowed for Salford.

Worryingly Salford lost one of their big props Ormondroyd after 3 mins to what looks like could be a bad wrist injury.

Wigan look pretty dangerous with ball in hand and will score plenty of points this season. Salford might be struggling to name a 17 for Leigh in a fortnight at this rate!😭

36 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

Wakey 0 Hull FC 56.

As you might expect, I’m not getting carried away, only 3 likely starters in Wakey’s line up v a strong Hull team.

They certainly did !!!,plus Dwyer looks a shrewd signing . Good season ahead for you guys in my opinion

• Thanks 1

Wigan 32 Salford 4

Comfortable win in the end for Wigan. We started off the first half well but there was a clear difference between the starting middles of Cooper, Havard and Smithies and then the replacement of Mago, Singleton and Ellis, who didn't have the same impact and made a few errors. Salford ended the first half looking more dangerous but the late French try from a loose ball gave us some breathing room that arguably we didn't deserve as Salford already had two tries disallowed.

The second half was much more straightforward. Cade Cust sparked a tight second half to life with a clever chip for Field to score. Cust was impressive throughout which is a big positive for Wigan. Miski then scored two cracking tries later in the game to put it to bed.

For Wigan I thought the main stand outs were Cust, who had a hand in most of the good things Wigan did, Havard, who was the best forward on the field, and King, who ran strong throughout and caused some problems with his offloads. No real dramas for Wigan although I was disappointed with the trio of Ellis, Mago and Singleton mentioned above so team selection for the SL opener could be interesting. Despite only being a brief cameo Tom Forber looked the best of the 3 hookers we had on show today too.

Salford would have caused more problems had Ackers been on the field longer. Even though Wigan tended to dominate possession the speed of the ruck was always a threat. You can really see how Salford are capable of having some sublime performances some weeks and then looking awful for others. 

1 hour ago, Old Frightful said:

Wakey 0 Hull FC 56.

Hull had much the stronger team out but fair to say they looked impressive. 

As for us a lot of kids got some minutes but it wasn’t a completely scratch side all game. Come a fortnights time i’d expect maybe 9 of that side to be in the 17 somewhere. 

29 minutes ago, EagleEyePie said:

Wigan 32 Salford 4

Comfortable win in the end for Wigan. We started off the first half well but there was a clear difference between the starting middles of Cooper, Havard and Smithies and then the replacement of Mago, Singleton and Ellis, who didn't have the same impact and made a few errors. Salford ended the first half looking more dangerous but the late French try from a loose ball gave us some breathing room that arguably we didn't deserve as Salford already had two tries disallowed.

The second half was much more straightforward. Cade Cust sparked a tight second half to life with a clever chip for Field to score. Cust was impressive throughout which is a big positive for Wigan. Miski then scored two cracking tries later in the game to put it to bed.

For Wigan I thought the main stand outs were Cust, who had a hand in most of the good things Wigan did, Havard, who was the best forward on the field, and King, who ran strong throughout and caused some problems with his offloads. No real dramas for Wigan although I was disappointed with the trio of Ellis, Mago and Singleton mentioned above so team selection for the SL opener could be interesting. Despite only being a brief cameo Tom Forber looked the best of the 3 hookers we had on show today too.

Salford would have caused more problems had Ackers been on the field longer. Even though Wigan tended to dominate possession the speed of the ruck was always a threat. You can really see how Salford are capable of having some sublime performances some weeks and then looking awful for others. 

Wigan looked a lot better having two proper centres for the first time in ages.

• Like 2

Cust was excellent for Wigan. We’ll score points again but will need to be sharper defensively. Salford bombed a few but I wouldn’t be worried with the scoreline if I were them. I thought they looked a real threat with the ball but they were a bit lose at times and that’s understandable in pre season. 

2 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Middles looked poor, especially bench. Back line is outstanding but that middle looks soft

Thought Havard and Cooper started well but it dropped off after that. Byrne will add to that unit when he’s back in at HKR. I thought Ellis was the best of the three bench lads. Singleton didn’t do much and Mago was a bit of a mess. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Harvie Hill challenge a couple of them for a spot before long. 

17 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

Wigan looked a lot better having two proper centres for the first time in ages.

Was it Sneyd that chased down Wardle on that 2nd half left touchline break?😳 Looked like it from where I was sat.

Thought the 32-4 scoreline was a bit flattering TBH for Wigan but you can see why they'll be up there challenging come the end of the season. Decent starting pack and pace to burn in the backs and a couple of decent halves. A couple of their tries came from lucky bounces and Salford bombed 2 or 3 tries/had a couple disallowed so not overly worried from a Salford point of view.

I'm a lot more worried about who Salford will have fit against Leigh in a fortnight. First choice wingers Burgess & Sio both missing today and been told both Williams & Cross picked up knocks. Ormondroyd off after 3 minutes with what looked a nasty wrist injury and he's our biggest forward. Could be a right mish-mash of a 17 lining up on the 17th!😱

2 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

Wakey 0 Hull FC 56.

What's the deal with Wakey only having 3 starters in their line up today? Have they got another friendly lined up where they'll be playing their strongest 17?

1 hour ago, SalfordSlim said:

What's the deal with Wakey only having 3 starters in their line up today? Have they got another friendly lined up where they'll be playing their strongest 17?

This is their 4th pre season friendly with virtually all the squad getting a go apart from Tanganoa.  Guess we'll have to wait for the SL opener v Catalans to see MA's selection.

• Thanks 1

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

2 hours ago, SalfordSlim said:

Was it Sneyd that chased down Wardle on that 2nd half left touchline break?😳 Looked like it from where I was sat.

Thought the 32-4 scoreline was a bit flattering TBH for Wigan but you can see why they'll be up there challenging come the end of the season. Decent starting pack and pace to burn in the backs and a couple of decent halves. A couple of their tries came from lucky bounces and Salford bombed 2 or 3 tries/had a couple disallowed so not overly worried from a Salford point of view.

I'm a lot more worried about who Salford will have fit against Leigh in a fortnight. First choice wingers Burgess & Sio both missing today and been told both Williams & Cross picked up knocks. Ormondroyd off after 3 minutes with what looked a nasty wrist injury and he's our biggest forward. Could be a right mish-mash of a 17 lining up on the 17th!😱

I'm sorry to hear about big Jack thought he was unlucky to not make the England squad,he has all the tools to be one of the best front rowers around. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

Hull KR 16 - Rhinos 0

Leeds have absolutely stunk the ace out first half

Hull KR fans booooooing every thing as per.

Theyve been by far the better side though

Brilliant defence from Rovers to gang tackle Rhinos 10 yards backwards and into dead in goal area. Kendall awards penalty to Rhinos much to the  derision of the the east hull faithful. 

But Rovers kept defending for their lives and Rhinos had no answer.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, DimmestStar said:

Brilliant defence from Rovers to gang tackle Rhinos 10 yards backwards and into dead in goal area. Kendall awards penalty to Rhinos much to the  derision of the the east hull faithful. 

But Rovers kept defending for their lives and Rhinos had no answer.

Rovers were good, and seemed to be far more up for it - we haven’t really seemed up for any of the friendlies this year for some reason, Rohan Smith doesn’t seem to be a huge fan of them, or at least doesn’t treat them as proper games.

There was a lot of errors with the ball from both sides though.