Friendlies

1 minute ago, DG70 said:

All about building match fitness at this point, wouldn't pay much attention to today's results as a guide to who's going to do what this season.

They mean absolutely nothing really, all teams will want to get different things out of them.

Will be interesting to see if the Rhinos continue with the short kick off thing, we’ve done it on every kick off since the NZ game

1 hour ago, Chrispmartha said:

They mean absolutely nothing really, all teams will want to get different things out of them.

Will be interesting to see if the Rhinos continue with the short kick off thing, we’ve done it on every kick off since the NZ game

It's going to be a tough ride.

1 hour ago, DG70 said:

All about building match fitness at this point, wouldn't pay much attention to today's results as a guide to who's going to do what this season.

Single most obvious and frequent post that gets churned out each pre season. 

Boooorrrriiiinnngggg

3 hours ago, Wollo Wollo Wayoo said:

This is their 4th pre season friendly with virtually all the squad getting a go apart from Tanganoa.  Guess we'll have to wait for the SL opener v Catalans to see MA's selection.

How did Hunter and H Smith go?

2 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

Rohan Smith doesn’t seem to be a huge fan of them, or at least doesn’t treat them as proper games..

They aren't proper games. 

8 hours ago, Stanley30 said:

Single most obvious and frequent post that gets churned out each pre season. 

Boooorrrriiiinnngggg

So boring that you typed an 80 letter reply....

Edited by DG70
Spelling error
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Wakey Til I Die said:

Hull had much the stronger team out but fair to say they looked impressive. 

As for us a lot of kids got some minutes but it wasn’t a completely scratch side all game. Come a fortnights time i’d expect maybe 9 of that side to be in the 17 somewhere. 

12 hours ago, SalfordSlim said:

What's the deal with Wakey only having 3 starters in their line up today? Have they got another friendly lined up where they'll be playing their strongest 17?

Perhaps I should have said there were only three that I recognised but I was keeping more of an eye on how my lot went about things.

Stadium redevelopment looks to be going along well, not much room for speccies at the moment though, are Wakey playing some home games elsewhere?

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

1 hour ago, Old Frightful said:

Perhaps I should have said there were only three that I recognised but I was keeping more of an eye on how my lot went about things.

Stadium redevelopment looks to be going along well, not much room for speccies at the moment though, are Wakey playing some home games elsewhere?

Over to you Kirmonds Pouch cheers.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

There was 3 starting forwards for definite, plus four fringe forwards and five backs who were first team, however I do not think all five backs will figure unless there is an injury crisis.

As far as the stadium, the bottom half behind the sticks will be finished for the Catalan game so capacity should just about be enough. Then a further three weeks for the next home game and the top half will be ready by then. The far section of the new stand should also be available around April so that also helps a bit. Yes it may be tight for a few games but there are no plans to play elsewhere,

Edited by Agbrigg
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

We won all our pre season friendlies last year with a great performance against Hull FC just before the start of the season, they mean nothing.

They do trial game or otherwise a winning culture breeds confidence in turn comes better performance and results.

3 hours ago, Fevrover said:

Over to you Kirmonds Pouch cheers.

Does he support Wakey?

NRL Friendlies start next weekend (all available on stream via Kayo as well) with the NRL putting up $100,000 prize money to the best performing team over the next fortnight of fixtures. 

Strangely the same figure awarded to the team winning the minor premiership.

4 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

As I say didn’t help much last year.

You seem desperate for Leeds to do badly this year for some reason.

No quite the opposite, im trying to understand why after a full pre season there was no cohesion, and also think there light in the 3/4s and no genuine game changer now Dwyer has gone,I hope I'm wrong but that's how I see it.

1 hour ago, Tippytoe said:

No quite the opposite, im trying to understand why after a full pre season there was no cohesion, and also think there light in the 3/4s and no genuine game changer now Dwyer has gone,I hope I'm wrong but that's how I see it.

Because Rohan Smith used the pre season games to try out young players and to try players in different positions, I don’t think his plan was to get cohesion, the spine have played together last season.

Reading too much into results of pre season games is pointless.

its the same for the first few rounds of the season proper, for example Warrington won more games in the earlier part of the season last year than Leeds and look how that turned out, same for Hull FC.

FWIW i do think if Newman isn’t fit we are lacking a player who can create something out of nothing 

Edited by Chrispmartha

1 hour ago, Chrispmartha said:

Because Rohan Smith used the pre season games to try out young players and to try players in different positions, I don’t think his plan was to get cohesion, the spine have played together last season.

Reading too much into results of pre season games is pointless.

its the same for the first few rounds of the season proper, for example Warrington won more games in the earlier part of the season last year than Leeds and look how that turned out, same for Hull FC.

FWIW i do think if Newman isn’t fit we are lacking a player who can create something out of nothing 

It's the trying players in different positions that concerns me and shows a lack in quality,starting the season with fill'ins.

9 minutes ago, Tippytoe said:

It's the trying players in different positions that concerns me and shows a lack in quality,starting the season with fill'ins.

Theres not many teams that have proper cover in every position, we are just unfortunate that both our starting centres are injured, most other clubs would have to use ‘fill ins’ in that situation.

25 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Theres not many teams that have proper cover in every position, we are just unfortunate that both our starting centres are injured, most other clubs would have to use ‘fill ins’ in that situation.

We've got a good lad who played centre yesterday, had a fantastic debut, think his name is Sutcliffe.

Not sure where he came from mind...

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

We've got a good lad who played centre yesterday, had a fantastic debut, think his name is Sutcliffe.

Not sure where he came from mind...

Sutcliffe is a good player, but he needed a move, i wish him well and hope he nails down a position rather than getting shunted about.

Dwyer will please and frustrate you in equal measures 

34 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Dwyer will please and frustrate you in equal measures 

I keep reading this but he looks fantastic up to now.

3 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

I keep reading this but he looks fantastic up to now.

Hes played two friendlies for you, Ive watched him for the last 4 years.

He can do some eye catching stuff and plays with a lot of heart but he can also totally mess up any attacking plays or structure you have set up by just running round like a headless chicken.

His passing from dummy half is also dreadful for a hooker.