League Express social media output

Can I respectfully ask why has the League Express changed its social media output strategy in recent weeks?

Seeing my timeline flooded with a dozen pointless list-based articles a day with clickbait headlines has quickly become very tiresome.

Has Callum Walker been given this remit on purpose? I get that website are desperate for click-based ad revenue, but its really sad to see the publication head this way.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

I had thought about raising a thread on the standard of League Express’ articles online but didn’t want to cause an argument, so I’m glad someone else has, cheers Gav. 

The standard of articles has dipped dramatically. I’m critical of Rugby League journalists anyway as I feel many toe the party line in fear of ostracism but it’s all very pointless and mind numbing stuff about lists of grounds that have hosted Super League grounds or the biggest attendances of regular season games (to name two recent examples), pretty mundane nonsense when the Challenge Cup draw is in about twenty fours with new teams in the competition, the start of Super League in about five weeks, the start of the Championship in approximately four weeks, the start of League One in about five weeks, the World Club Championship in 5-6 weeks, the expansion of the Southern Conference and the NRL starting in about 8 weeks. We’re not exactly short of things to talk about, it would appear that we’re short of those with the ability to talk about them in a way in which is engaging, exciting and interesting. 

I’m not necessarily in the business of algorithms and read articles and maybe the above doesn’t hit those parameters.

I think the link between the Serious About Plagiarism lad getting a job and the sudden drop in quality is very clear to see. 

Edited by Jughead
  • Like 2

Algorithms? Is it not of benefit for the matrix?

Mind,I'm not an influencer.

Isn't plenty of press releases/social media required to maximise publicity for the sport,going into the new season?

If it was all quiet wouldn't that raise the ire of the rugby league followers?

• Confused 1

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

26 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

Isn't plenty of press releases/social media required to maximise publicity for the sport, going into the new season?

Yes, hence my query.

The League Express output isn't doing any of that. Look at the replies to this tweet about "Super League's tallest ever players" (?), all they are currently doing is trashing their own reputation.

I think the turning point for LE was the exodus of staff to go set up  Rugby League Live which publishes across all the regional newspapers. I used to be an avid reader of LE(physical, the digital via pocket mags app then finally the monthly subscription service they introduced) but have cancelled a few months back after getting frustrated with the decline in quality. As a Leigh/Championship fan, frequently the weekly round up for each club would just be word for word articles taken from respective clubs press releases for signings/post match comments etc and exclusives have become few and far between. Nowadays I tend to look to the following for any RL news

1. Rugby League Live - easily the most comprehensive coverage and most reliable when it comes to transfer rumours. Much like a lot of other RL media they do tend to err against being too critical in articles and tend to shy away from really holding people to account.
  2. Rugby League Hub/John Davidsons patreon service - Probably the only media that do consistently cast a critical eye over the game and do have their fair share of exclusives, but with it being a patreon it is quite opinion based and agenda driven which has to be taken with a pinch of salt.
  3. Love Rugby League - I think they do a good job of summarizing stories around the game whilst actually giving proper credit/citations. They do cover lower leagues and French game more than most which is a plus and the podcast is decent.
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Gav Wilson said:

Can I respectfully ask why has the League Express changed its social media output strategy in recent weeks?

Seeing my timeline flooded with a dozen pointless list-based articles a day with clickbait headlines has quickly become very tiresome.

Has Callum Walker been given this remit on purpose? I get that website are desperate for click-based ad revenue, but its really sad to see the publication head this way.

I fully agree with the above. The drop off in quality is very noticeable

Interestingly there has been a claim of plagiarism against Walker which resulted in Walker blocking some including I think the original author. The articles were very similar

I agree. League Express' online output is tedious. I assume those in charge look at what generates more clicks and therefore more revenue and have decided that this is the best approach. A paucity of quality all sacrificed for quantity. 

It must work and League Express are entitled to do as they please but I do actively avoid clicking and interacting with these clickbait articles. In some ways, it's a shame that this is what is needed now to draw in fans.

• Like 3

Its absolute rubbish that is getting churned out. I unfollowed as it were doing my head in seeing all the click bait that they and others were putting out. Click bait is one of the lowest forms of advertising but it obviously works hence why it is so popular.

Its lazy journalism as well, I mean do I really care which SL team has the greenest grass or rubbish like that? Interview some players, maybe speak to clubs find out some feel good stories about the players like who's doing some charity work that nobody knows something. Aim for raising the profile of the game, instead all this does is alienate people who are actually interested in the game.

Edited by The Blues Ox
  • Like 4

I've also unfollowed League Express. I would say they aren't the only culprits though. Pretty much every sporting hub on social media has resorted to click bait. It does my head in completely and means rather than following news outlets I've started to follow trusted individuals to get my sports news. 

Unless the clickbait/algorithm coverage turns everyone off even bothering to look.

I should say that the look at first team starting line-ups at this quiet time of year was perfectly okay.

However, there does seem to be a general trend of limited and surface stories being all that is on offer.

And as for

20 hours ago, Jughead said:

I had thought about raising a thread on the standard of League Express’ articles online but didn’t want to cause an argument

You could just say "RL is good."  to achieve that.

• Haha 1

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Was out at the pub the other day and the discussion started around if we could find 5 players from across SL history who were the UK's median height from the season they played in if any ideas are needed. Might need the slightest amount of research though ... 

Edited by Amber Avenger
  • Haha 2

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

1 minute ago, Amber Avenger said:

Double post

Edited by Amber Avenger

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

31 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Delighted that we now have a smallest players who’ve played RL list, I was struggling to sleep wondering who that was. 

31,500 followers and this is the response to that post:

image.png.66d2fc6bfb0fb3b6d187992d4ebc1604.png

So it's not exactly a buzzing level of engagement they're getting.

• Like 4

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)