League Express social media output

20 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

If enough of us report the posts on Twitter as spam do you think they would get the message?

It's been over 24 hours since I tagged @Martyn Sadlerinto the topic so we could get a balanced perspective on the matter. 

Looking forward to hearing his thoughts on the matter.

• Like 2

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

2 hours ago, Tim Streets tache said:

WHO IS THE SEXIEST RUGBY LEAGUE PERSONALITY?

Martyn Sadler

Gary Schofield

Mick Gledhill

Carl Hall

Hellen Skelton but TGG mile!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

3 hours ago, Tim Streets tache said:

WHO IS THE SEXIEST RUGBY LEAGUE PERSONALITY?

Martyn Sadler

Gary Schofield

Mick Gledhill

Carl Hall

Next article: "You won't BELIEVE who Tim Street's tache says the sexiest rugby league personality is!"

Edited by Chris22
  • Haha 6

Interesting to note that on another popular fans forum, they are mentioning and having a similar stance to those above.

Read here.

I believe these are examples of poor quality content that users across both forums are referring too:

1. https://www.totalrl.com/the-top-ten-fastest-super-league-players-in-the-first-half-of-the-2022-season-as-wigan-warriors-and-leeds-rhinos-stars-impressed/ (13 Jan - Callum Walker)
  2. https://www.totalrl.com/the-most-unusual-rugby-league-records-from-12-consecutive-hat-tricks-to-a-70-year-old-player/  (13 Jan - Callum Walker)
  3. https://www.totalrl.com/how-many-times-your-super-league-club-will-be-broadcast-on-tv-in-february-and-march/  (12 Jan - Callum Walker)
  4. https://www.totalrl.com/six-of-the-smallest-players-in-uk-rugby-league-and-super-league-history/  (12 Jan - Callum Walker)

I thought this could be an interesting opinion piece, and potentially could have gathered quotes and interviews from Rugby League personal, such as chairmen, players, etc/

2 minutes ago, HKR AWAY DAYS said:

Dunno why you're whinging, I love a bit of blatant plagiarism that was defended by Sadler as completely different, yet when it was run through an anti-plagiarism algorithm it showed to be 80% the same. Ah good old copy and paste. 

And this is where I need to intervene.

The accusation was made on Twitter and supported by another Twitter user who claimed to have compared the two articles using plagiarism software to show there was 88% commonality.

I asked him to let me know what software he had used, which he eventually did. I ran the same software and it revealed that in fact there was zero plagiarism.

Callum hadn't even read the relevant article before he was wrongly accused of plagiarising it. Like me, he hadn't heard of that particular website before he was accused of plagiarising it.

He offered to reveal the details of his ISP to show that he hadn't visited that particular website before the accusation was made. At that point the accuser clammed up.

There's an old saying that a lie can travel half way around the world before the truth puts on its shoes.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

There's an old saying that a lie can travel half way around the world before the truth puts on its shoes.

Is it one of the Top Ten Lies of the Super League Era though?

• Haha 8

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

31 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

And this is where I need to intervene.

The accusation was made on Twitter and supported by another Twitter user who claimed to have compared the two articles using plagiarism software to show there was 88% commonality.

I asked him to let me know what software he had used, which he eventually did. I ran the same software and it revealed that in fact there was zero plagiarism.

Callum hadn't even read the relevant article before he was wrongly accused of plagiarising it. Like me, he hadn't heard of that particular website before he was accused of plagiarising it.

He offered to reveal the details of his ISP to show that he hadn't visited that particular website before the accusation was made. At that point the accuser clammed up.

No comment on the original question though. Interesting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Martyn Sadler said:

Not sure where to start with that.

Many thanks @Martyn Sadler , I do hope you are keeping well and thank you for taking tine out of your day to give a response to one of the posters comments. 

I was wondering if you had any further thoughts to @Gav Wilson initial topic - not the accusation you are referring to on Twitter and also the examples that I provided.

Another example can be seen today in the following article:

https://www.totalrl.com/the-teams-with-the-best-and-worst-attacks-in-super-league-2022-with-wigan-warriors-and-salford-red-devils-excelling/

This opinion piece is a little bit better than the previous example that I had shared as respected ex-referee is quoted:

https://www.totalrl.com/should-super-league-introduce-a-captains-challenge/

However, what about current officials, players? 

I would also love to hear Callum Walkers opinion on the standards and quality that is currently driven. I personally believe this is a fascinating debate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris Taylor said:

Many thanks @Martyn Sadler , I do hope you are keeping well and thank you for taking tine out of your day to give a response to one of the posters comments. 

I was wondering if you had any further thoughts to @Gav Wilson initial topic - not the accusation you are referring to on Twitter and also the examples that I provided.

Another example can be seen today in the following article:

https://www.totalrl.com/the-teams-with-the-best-and-worst-attacks-in-super-league-2022-with-wigan-warriors-and-salford-red-devils-excelling/

This opinion piece is a little bit better than the previous example that I had shared as respected ex-referee is quoted:

https://www.totalrl.com/should-super-league-introduce-a-captains-challenge/

However, what about current officials, players? 

I would also love to hear Callum Walkers opinion on the standards and quality that is currently driven. I personally believe this is a fascinating debate.

Thanks Chris for this comment.

As far as I'm concerned, Gavin made the point that he didn't like some of the material that Callum publishes on Totalrl.com.

He is perfectly entitled to his view.

In fact the material on the website is now more wide ranging than it's ever been as you can see from a cursory glance.

There is also more material going onto the website than we've seen before.

Of course the proof of the pudding is in the eating, and I'm glad to say that the number of visitors to the website has risen exponentially in the last couple of months and so has the income it's been generating.

The evidence also seems to suggest that we are attracting a younger audience as a whole.

So Gavin may not like it much, but I'm delighted to say that he appears to be in a small minority, although of course people in small minorities often have loud voices, as we have seen on Twitter.

It's easy to find fault with individual articles, but my advice is to skip over those that are on topics you don't like.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

Thanks Chris for this comment.

As far as I'm concerned, Gavin made the point that he didn't like some of the material that Callum publishes on Totalrl.com.

He is perfectly entitled to his view.

In fact the material on the website is now more wide ranging than it's ever been as you can see from a cursory glance.

There is also more material going onto the website than we've seen before.

Of course the proof of the pudding is in the eating, and I'm glad to say that the number of visitors to the website has risen exponentially in the last couple of months and so has the income it's been generating.

The evidence also seems to suggest that we are attracting a younger audience as a whole.

So Gavin may not like it much, but I'm delighted to say that he appears to be in a small minority, although of course people in small minorities often have loud voices, as we have seen on Twitter.

It's easy to find fault with individual articles, but my advice is to skip over those that are on topics you don't like.

Not a problem Martyn, RLE is an important part of the Rugby League landscape and it's just as important to get a balanced perspective of these articles.

Whether this is a reader or in your case the business - which I'm very pleased to read that in recent months you have further increased sessions to the website and also revenue. Revenue being the key here.

I'm personally not a fan of the articles that I have shared in this topic - but if it serves a purpose to others then so be-it. Just reading in various places I wouldn't want it to damage your brand reputation.

For a balanced content I personally prefer a more investigative style approach asking key personnel in the game there thoughts and ideas.

I love data and would be fascinated in understanding:

• What the top posts are?
  • What the type of post is?
  • Is it based on a specific team (international / club-level)
  • Is it player based?
  • Etc

Of course, I know this won't be shared - but it would be interesting nonetheless.

I will leave it here and wish you all the best for 2023. I firmly believe it's going to be a bumper year.

For me the 4th estate is there to hold people to account. Its there to investigate and make sure that everything in the garden is rosy. Yet we have issues around governance, we have issues around the Refs and the disciplinary. We have questions from fans about IMG. We have questions around the international calendar and what is going on. 

The RL press don't seem to want to hold RL to account. I very rarely (and I am sure there will be a defence of "but look at this article or this one") see articles that do this, there is a lot of opinion pieces about what the writer thinks is going on or what they would change or what they think is wrong but never with the input and examination that IMHO there should be. 

Ralph, for example, should not have been allowed to go missing as much as he did. Why did the Refs situation stay where it was without questions being asked of those leaving. 

I may be wrong but the level of scrutiny the RL press (as a whole) give to RL is no longer what it was and lets its supporters down. 

I struggle to read a lot of it now as if I want someone's opinion that has no back up then I come on here, I don't expect someone to get paid to spout it. 

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Clicks bring money so volume is key rather than quality. Sad but true. Its a nice short term business model but ultimatley all it leads to is diluting the brand.

14 minutes ago, RP London said:

For me the 4th estate is there to hold people to account. Its there to investigate and make sure that everything in the garden is rosy. Yet we have issues around governance, we have issues around the Refs and the disciplinary. We have questions from fans about IMG. We have questions around the international calendar and what is going on. 

The RL press don't seem to want to hold RL to account. I very rarely (and I am sure there will be a defence of "but look at this article or this one") see articles that do this, there is a lot of opinion pieces about what the writer thinks is going on or what they would change or what they think is wrong but never with the input and examination that IMHO there should be. 

Ralph, for example, should not have been allowed to go missing as much as he did. Why did the Refs situation stay where it was without questions being asked of those leaving. 

I may be wrong but the level of scrutiny the RL press (as a whole) give to RL is no longer what it was and lets its supporters down. 

I struggle to read a lot of it now as if I want someone's opinion that has no back up then I come on here, I don't expect someone to get paid to spout it. 

These two posts sum it up. A story about a transfer rumour or some loud mouth making things up gets more clicks than actually holding people to account.

The public gets what the public wants.

9 minutes ago, RP London said:

For me the 4th estate is there to hold people to account.

"And they call him the cockeyed optimist........."

And the truth is although  posters like to play Virtual TGG Inspector and find more or less everyone  requires improvement but mostly inadequate, this is  based on bias, false premise and already made up minds.

Personally I like the fact that I can rely on my inbuilt one-sided and bent decision making processes.

And it isn't an RL newspaper whose social media input that concerns us but SL's and TGG's.

4 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

These two posts sum it up. A story about a transfer rumour or some loud mouth making things up gets more clicks than actually holding people to account.

This is true but most of the time it's the fact that they miss out the vital info like it's not about SRD which would reduce the chances of a click from me by 100%.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

1 minute ago, RigbyLuger said:

The public gets what the public wants.

Not really. Rumours and loud mouths are cheaper as, basically, you can just repeat what has already been said. Hence why so much sports reporting is really just what someone has said in an open press conference.

There's really no evidence that that style of reporting (and its associated programming, the phone in) are more popular. There really isn't. But they don't cost as much, can be done more quickly, and have their own easy-to-follow cycle.

They also don't depend on access and/or not wanting to lose access - another big issue, in particular it seems for the RL media.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)