League Express social media output

Just now, RigbyLuger said:

Good job these people easily upset are involved in RL and not football! 

Happens all the time in football. It's why it's all debates about quotes from press conferences. Anything deeper than that and that particular outlet finds that it's no longer getting the gossip.

There's a reason you don't see too many David Conn style articles any more and it's not because people weren't reading them.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

22 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

These two posts sum it up. A story about a transfer rumour or some loud mouth making things up gets more clicks than actually holding people to account.

The public gets what the public wants.

When was the last time there was a story holding someone to account?

12 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Happens all the time in football. It's why it's all debates about quotes from press conferences. Anything deeper than that and that particular outlet finds that it's no longer getting the gossip.

There's a reason you don't see too many David Conn style articles any more and it's not because people weren't reading them.

Kieran Maguire and Price of Football is probably the best example of regular investigative journalism in football these days - and delivers often quite dry subjects in a very engagng way. But you're right, there's not enough of that sort of journalism any more. 

Football also has moved towards a trend of 'in-housing' a lot of media as well these days. Exclusive interviews are now more often done through club TV channels, and many clubs went through a period of only allowing their own photographers into grounds - something that a lot of the press pushed back against. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

These two posts sum it up. A story about a transfer rumour or some loud mouth making things up gets more clicks than actually holding people to account.

The public gets what the public wants.

The problem is, which public are you asking? the ones that are clicking through or the ones that arent.. If there were 2 equal stories going to the same set of people at the exact same time and more went one way than the other then you may be right. But if all you are going by is that x amount of people clicked through then that is no more than an echo chamber that will keep you in the same cycle. What about those that got "oh ffs another one" and pass it by but would see an investigative piece of journalism and go "oooh i'll read that".. 

I think the public would like people like Ganson held to account so we don't keep losing refs rather than umpteen opinion pieces on why we are losing refs and the consequences of it.. very much 5th beer pub chat.

16 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

The League Express Twitter account has been hacked, as has my Twitter account.

Currently I can't get on Twitter.

sadly we all just assumed it hadnt.. 😛

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, JohnM said:

No we didn't. You might have, and you might have wished it, but not all of are engaged on some sort of crusade.

it was tongue in cheek and a bit of a joke towards what has been said on this thread as a whole hence the 😛 emoji... 

I'm not on a "crusade" i just think there should be more to journalism than being paid to write with as much substance as me writing on here.. and that is across the board at the moment not just RL but this being an RL board and the mods keeping us on topic its best to just keep it to RL where I dont see much "investigative journalism" or "holding people to account" to be fair.. You may be happy for opinion based journalism and thats fine, all power to you, but I think those that arent are allowed to voice it. 

• Like 1

Here you go, then :

We are not a general purpose newsroom. We work in specific story areas. The best way to pass on a tip is to directly contact a reporter who works on the relevant beat. If you want to contact an individual reporter you can find their information on our staff page.

More information for members of the public who think they might have a story can be found here.

More information for whistleblowers can be found here.

https://www.thebureauinvestigates.com/about-us/contact-us

Edited by JohnM

14 hours ago, Martyn Sadler said:

Thanks Chris for this comment.

As far as I'm concerned, Gavin made the point that he didn't like some of the material that Callum publishes on Totalrl.com.

He is perfectly entitled to his view.

In fact the material on the website is now more wide ranging than it's ever been as you can see from a cursory glance.

There is also more material going onto the website than we've seen before.

Of course the proof of the pudding is in the eating, and I'm glad to say that the number of visitors to the website has risen exponentially in the last couple of months and so has the income it's been generating.

The evidence also seems to suggest that we are attracting a younger audience as a whole.

So Gavin may not like it much, but I'm delighted to say that he appears to be in a small minority, although of course people in small minorities often have loud voices, as we have seen on Twitter.

It's easy to find fault with individual articles, but my advice is to skip over those that are on topics you don't like.

Fair enough Martyn, that's your prerogative to take the publication in that direction. I don't agree with it and I worry about the long term implications for the site, but that's probably why I'm not an editor.

15 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Here you go, then :

We are not a general purpose newsroom. We work in specific story areas. The best way to pass on a tip is to directly contact a reporter who works on the relevant beat. If you want to contact an individual reporter you can find their information on our staff page.

More information for members of the public who think they might have a story can be found here.

More information for whistleblowers can be found here.

https://www.thebureauinvestigates.com/about-us/contact-us

?

1 hour ago, RP London said:

?

You are keen on investigative journalism.

The BIJ are investigative journalists 

Posters have highlighted stories they think worth investigating.

BIJ are providing contact details for people with genuine stories worth investigating.

19 minutes ago, JohnM said:

You are keen on investigative journalism.

The BIJ are investigative journalists 

Posters have highlighted stories they think worth investigating.

BIJ are providing contact details for people with genuine stories worth investigating.

Speaking of vital investigations. Your signature is a made up quote.

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2019/sep/26/viral-image/no-marcus-aurelius-didnt-say-about-opinions-and-fa/

• Haha 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, Gav Wilson said:

Fair enough Martyn, that's your prerogative to take the publication in that direction. I don't agree with it and I worry about the long term implications for the site, but that's probably why I'm not an editor.

As I've said, the website now has a wider range of material than it's ever had.

Inevitably there will be some content you like and some you don't.

Some topics will be serious, others will be lighter.

But that is true of any website or media source on any topic.

What I find interesting is the idea that you have to like everything on a website or nothing at all.

That is hardly realistic.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Martyn Sadler said:

The League Express Twitter account has been hacked, as has my Twitter account.

Currently I can't get on Twitter.

The fact that no-one noticed the difference in the "quality" of content, that's a concern.

4 minutes ago, dboy said:

The fact that no-one noticed the difference in the "quality" of content, that's a concern.

I'm not sure whether that's supposed to be a clever comment, but League Express was restored to us fairly quickly, although I'm still locked out of my Twitter account.

Just now, Martyn Sadler said:

But i'm sure you get the point.

When reading any website, you will inevitably be selective.

The issue becomes when the said website moves to one where you read all or at least the vast majority of the articles to one where you only read a few or even less.  You end up stop visiting that site. That’s a real danger

• Like 3