League Express social media output

Don't know why you are all whining 

If you look at rubbish like Facebook ls etc you'll always see this sort of stuff won't you? If you don't like it don't watch it? I steer clear of it 

I'm aware TRLF is an approximation of social media by way but it's not the same thing. For the most part this place is ***head free. Plenty of deluded maniacs here of course but mostly well meaning ones 

Edited by Bedfordshire Bronco
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, Cheadle Leyther said:

One of the top friendly fixtures this weekend which I am attending is Leigh v Leeds 3pm this Saturday at the LSV. Yet there is no mention of this on League Express on page 5 of this week’s edition’s fixture list. Has it been cancelled??!!

"5 of this weekends top friendlies, You won't believe which one was omitted"

😌

• Haha 8

On 16/01/2023 at 17:47, Martyn Sadler said:

And this is where I need to intervene.

The accusation was made on Twitter and supported by another Twitter user who claimed to have compared the two articles using plagiarism software to show there was 88% commonality.

I asked him to let me know what software he had used, which he eventually did. I ran the same software and it revealed that in fact there was zero plagiarism.

I don’t tend to read or post on online forums, but thought I should clarify on this occasion as I am the ‘another Twitter user’ that Martyn refers to here.  Martyn contacted me via DM on Twitter on Friday 6th January at 12:45pm.  I replied to his message on the same day at 6:15pm (as soon as I got home from work!), so the ‘he eventually got back to me’ is a misrepresentation of our conversation.  Martyn thanked me for my reply, so I’m surprised to see such a different account of this on here.

Having seen Martyn’s post on here, I messaged him on the same day to say that I thought what he had written in the post was unfair and did not represent the truth.  Despite having seen the message, ironically I have had no reply from Martyn. 

23 minutes ago, CasRugbyShirts said:

I don’t tend to read or post on online forums, but thought I should clarify on this occasion as I am the ‘another Twitter user’ that Martyn refers to here.  Martyn contacted me via DM on Twitter on Friday 6th January at 12:45pm.  I replied to his message on the same day at 6:15pm (as soon as I got home from work!), so the ‘he eventually got back to me’ is a misrepresentation of our conversation.  Martyn thanked me for my reply, so I’m surprised to see such a different account of this on here.

Having seen Martyn’s post on here, I messaged him on the same day to say that I thought what he had written in the post was unfair and did not represent the truth.  Despite having seen the message, ironically I have had no reply from Martyn. 

How come he didn't get the same result on the plagiarism programme?

1 minute ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

How come he didn't get the same result on the plagiarism programme?

I wouldn’t know, as I wasn’t sat next to him.

Anti-plagiarism software is a fairly complicated bit of kit. You can get very different results depending on the settings that are applied to the text that you are analysing.  For example, if your simply run a text through the software and ask it to detect exact matches of whole sentences to general sources, it will throw up a very different result to asking it to highlight similarities to a specific source (taking into account minor changes to vocab and sentence structure).  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Seen this a few times posted now 

I assume this is a mock up and was not actually tweeted?

Literally says on this thread that the account was hacked

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

11 hours ago, CasRugbyShirts said:

Using the term 'eventually' wasn't meant as a criticism but merely a statement of fact setting out the sequence of events. You did eventually get back to me, relatively quickly.

You seem to be saying that I somehow insinuated that you were late getting back to me.

That wasn't my intention.

11 hours ago, CasRugbyShirts said:

I wouldn’t know, as I wasn’t sat next to him.

Anti-plagiarism software is a fairly complicated bit of kit. You can get very different results depending on the settings that are applied to the text that you are analysing.  For example, if your simply run a text through the software and ask it to detect exact matches of whole sentences to general sources, it will throw up a very different result to asking it to highlight similarities to a specific source (taking into account minor changes to vocab and sentence structure).  

I would be very happy for anyone to run the two articles through plagiarism software.

What most of them would pick up would be the fact that the same teams were mentioned in both articles, with the same monikers, because that was the subject of both articles.

And that would be true of most articles written about Super League.

But the writing style and the detailed content were significantly different.

Your statement on Twitter of an 88% correspondence, without putting that into context, has significantly misrepresented the situation and, because it was picked up and broadcast by the original author, has caused us significant problems.

As I've told him several times, he can trace the ISP addresses of those people who read his article before the time when Callum posted his article on our website.

Callum's ISP address won't feature because he wasn't even aware of the existence of the other website. But unfortunately we don't get a response to that request.

5 hours ago, Martyn Sadler said:

Using the term 'eventually' wasn't meant as a criticism but merely a statement of fact setting out the sequence of events. You did eventually get back to me, relatively quickly.

You seem to be saying that I somehow insinuated that you were late getting back to me.

That wasn't my intention.

The definition of ‘eventually’: 
in the end, especially after a long delay, dispute, or series of problems.”

If it wasn’t your intention to suggest that something happened ‘eventually’, it would have been better not to use the word.

5 hours ago, Martyn Sadler said:

I would be very happy for anyone to run the two articles through plagiarism software.

What most of them would pick up would be the fact that the same teams were mentioned in both articles, with the same monikers, because that was the subject of both articles.

And that would be true of most articles written about Super League.

But the writing style and the detailed content were significantly different.

Your statement on Twitter of an 88% correspondence, without putting that into context, has significantly misrepresented the situation and, because it was picked up and broadcast by the original author, has caused us significant problems.

As I've told him several times, he can trace the ISP addresses of those people who read his article before the time when Callum posted his article on our website.

Callum's ISP address won't feature because he wasn't even aware of the existence of the other website. But unfortunately we don't get a response to that request.

The software does not highlight ‘correspondence’; it highlights similarity and compares how similar one piece of text is with another.  
Your problem was caused by the article that was published by LE having a high similarity score with the article published by another author shortly beforehand.  You might believe that was coincidence because the topics were the same, but the statistic doesn’t ‘misrepresent’ anything.  If you think it was coincidental, that’s your prerogative, but it doesn’t make the statistic untrue.

1 hour ago, CasRugbyShirts said:

The definition of ‘eventually’: 
in the end, especially after a long delay, dispute, or series of problems.”

If it wasn’t your intention to suggest that something happened ‘eventually’, it would have been better not to use the word.

Given that it upset you, with hindsight I wouldn't have said it.

1 hour ago, CasRugbyShirts said:

The software does not highlight ‘correspondence’; it highlights similarity and compares how similar one piece of text is with another.  
Your problem was caused by the article that was published by LE having a high similarity score with the article published by another author shortly beforehand.  You might believe that was coincidence because the topics were the same, but the statistic doesn’t ‘misrepresent’ anything.  If you think it was coincidental, that’s your prerogative, but it doesn’t make the statistic untrue.

That doesn't explain why, using the same software, we arrived at two quite different conclusions.

You have suggested that the results depend on the settings, which I'm sure is correct.

On 18/01/2023 at 20:17, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

If you look at rubbish like Facebook ls etc you'll always see this sort of stuff won't you? If you don't like it don't watch it? I steer clear of it 

And there was me thinking League fans in England often live in the past. . . 

• Haha 1

https://www.totalrl.com/what-next-for-bradford-bulls-following-odsal-redevelopment-blow-brian-noble-explains-need-for-something-to-happen/

YOU think of rugby league and you immediately think of Odsal.

Not sure that's quite so accurate.

*Edit - Poor sentance structure

Edited by Chris Taylor

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

2 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

Have I noticed a bit of an improvement in things though? I actually read the Nobby article which makes a change from me taking one look at the headline and deciding not to.

Still one article on something Craig Harrison says is too many. 🤣

LE would be better with its own podcast than promoting a poor one.

• Like 1