The curious case of Kallum Watkins

DG70

No disputing Watkins' quality but does Rowley put him back to centre now Salford have strengthened their pack? You could argue that the pack will be weaker without him but to pair him with Tim Lafai in the backs turns Salfords centre positions into arguably the best in the league, Watkins and Lafai in the centres is a mouth watering prospect, credit to the recruitment team at the club.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

will need to defend better than he did in the WC semi if he's back at centre - him and Dom Young were a defensive disaster together

I wonder if he was injured during that game against Samoa.

Lafai outplayed him that day.

After the match, he was reported injured and I found myself wondering if he was injured in the few seconds leading up to Lafai's try? 

It would better explain his poor showing, on the day.

The whole team had a real off-day but Watkins was poor by his previous standards.

49 minutes ago, johnh1 said:

He is a second row now. Not a centre. He will only play in the centre if their are other injuries. Cross and Lafai will play centre with Sarginson and Williams as replacements. That’s my opinion anyway. 

Williams? He's never played centre for us before IIRC. He's wing cover and at a push FB cover but think his time will be limited this year if we avoid a spate of injuries.

Agree that Kallum will remain at 2R and Cross & Lafai will be 1st choice centre pairing. Will be interesting to see if/how Sarginson can force his way back into the team. Still got a lot to offer at 29 and will likely start the season at FB as cover for Brierley. 

1 hour ago, johnh1 said:

He is a second row now. Not a centre. He will only play in the centre if their are other injuries. 

Exactly.

The fact that he was running about in the centres for England and will be about 5th choice there for his club tells you about the state of England-eligible centres in the game, the abysmal level of centres across the League, and how poor the english game is at developing them. 

This is taking NOTHING away from @DG70's original comment about Salford's recruitment.  It has as he says, been excellent. A credit to the League and hopefully indicative of a club on an upward trajectory. I will definitely be keeping an eye on them in the coming season, and hope they do well. 

• Like 2

He was quite clearly injured on the day that much was obvious despite the Mystic Hindsight tent being erected on this thread.

10 hours ago, Madrileño said:

This is taking NOTHING away from @DG70's original comment about Salford's recruitment.  It has as he says, been excellent. A credit to the League and hopefully indicative of a club on an upward trajectory. I will definitely be keeping an eye on them in the coming season, and hope they do well. 

According to Rowley there's a few difficulties and such because of the WC though. Having said that, he does like to do the opposite of politicians and under promise and over deliver.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

16 hours ago, SalfordSlim said:

Williams? He's never played centre for us before IIRC. He's wing cover and at a push FB cover but think his time will be limited this year if we avoid a spate of injuries.

Agree that Kallum will remain at 2R and Cross & Lafai will be 1st choice centre pairing. Will be interesting to see if/how Sarginson can force his way back into the team. Still got a lot to offer at 29 and will likely start the season at FB as cover for Brierley. 

What I meant with Williams, is that if there is a shortage amongst the backs, Williams would come in and play on the wing, with the other players moving around to accommodate. I can’t see Watkins playing centre unless there is a massive injury list amongst the backs.

• Like 1

On 12/01/2023 at 09:16, Oxford said:

He was quite clearly injured on the day that much was obvious despite the Mystic Hindsight tent being erected on this thread.

Mystic Hindsight tent? 

What does that mean?

5 hours ago, fighting irish said:

Mystic Hindsight tent? 

What does that mean?

Hello F I

You should read the predictions on this and other threads made so far after the event.

And while you're there, how have you been lately?

• Like 1

On 12/01/2023 at 09:16, Oxford said:

He was quite clearly injured on the day that much was obvious 

if he was injured on that day he should 100% not have been involved in such an important game in any playing capacity at all 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

1 hour ago, graveyard johnny said:

if he was injured on that day he should 100% not have been involved in such an important game in any playing capacity at all 

I think that happens too often but I think it was more he was allowed to play on.

I think the recovery and treatment afterwards might show this.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

This is what I was hinting at.

It was clear, after the game that he was injured because it was reported.

I was implying that perhaps he was injured (before the game) without confessing it and in the intense heat of competition (with Lafai) it got worse.

Of course, the injury could have occurred during the game which hampered his performance until he left the field.

Was he injured before the kick off? Did he keep it a secret? Did Shaun Wane know, or not?

I believed (before the game) that a fully fit Kallum Watkins was more than a match for Lafai. 

18 hours ago, Oxford said:

Hello F I

You should read the predictions on this and other threads made so far after the event.

And while you're there, how have you been lately?

Hello my friend, I've not been so good but I'm happy to report, I'm much better now.

I'm glad to see Salford doing so well and was surprised about the stadium announcement recently. 

Hopefully, they'll become more secure there (especially if they get the backing of this local business mogul).

I'm really looking forward to the new season, hope it improves the games fortunes.

Please keep in touch, and spare a thought for your poor cousins in the Valleys, (or on the coast at the end of the valleys anyway). 

3 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

Hello my friend, I've not been so good but I'm happy to report, I'm much better now.

I'm glad to see Salford doing so well and was surprised about the stadium announcement recently. 

Hopefully, they'll become more secure there (especially if they get the backing of this local business mogul).

I'm really looking forward to the new season, hope it improves the games fortunes.

Please keep in touch, and spare a thought for your poor cousins in the Valleys, (or on the coast at the end of the valleys anyway). 

Glad to hear you are feeling better...keep going Old Timer.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, fighting irish said:

Glad to hear that you've improved that's the trouble wit swings and roundabouts at your age.

The Stadium was a bit of a shock and it must've been so much more so for those whse views of SRD are jaundiced. (Mentioning no names but follow my eyes on the forum).

I'm really looking forward to the new season which in spite of all the usual predictions ( boring) and Wakey look fine to me against all the pundits, so I really think it might be the best one yet.

For SRD it's nice and weird to say that I really don't fear anyone.

I now live in the North East by the way so me and the mrs are already planning days out when TO come to town in York, Newcastle and a few others.

Take care & all the best Russ.   xxx

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kayakman said:

Glad to hear you are feeling better...keep going Old Timer.

Come to that, where you've been?

And I see you're not talking to me !!!!!!!!

Bit disappointed with this thread.

I was rather hoping it would be a gripping tale of why Kallum Watkins' dog didn't bark in the night.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)