Horses with a rugby league connection

20 minutes ago, thirteenthman said:

Brisbane played at QE2 Stadium between 1993 and 2003, which is/was an athletics stadium. It was known as ANZ Stadium when the Broncos played there. The 1994 WCC game against Wigan and the 1997 WCC matches were all played at that ground. 

They did attract some unbelievable high attendances there including 54k for the WCC loss to Wigan.

EDEFB571-0FD4-4073-867E-DD55CBA09C9A.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

They did attract some unbelievable high attendances there including 54k for the WCC loss to Wigan.

Yeah, a great night that. 

In 1997 they had their record attendance at that ground for the SL Grand Final against Cronulla when there were over 58,000 in. 2 weeks later when they played St Helens in the WCC there were just over 6000 in. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Beep Beep Burrow, who is being campaigned to raise funds for the Motor Neurone Disease Association, made a promising debut when staying on from a long way back to finish about sixth on his debut at Doncaster today.

Fifth. I don't know much about racing handicaps but he seemed to be carrying a lot of weight for a horse that's not competed before.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

1 hour ago, Griff said:

Fifth. I don't know much about racing handicaps but he seemed to be carrying a lot of weight for a horse that's not competed before.

Yes, this was a National Hunt Flat race, these are races under jumps rules but without any obstacles and are designed for inexperienced horses to get used to racing without the worry of jumps. Beep Beep Burrow is a 6yo and they were set to carry 11-02, the 4yos in the race who are considered much less mature received a hefty weight-for-age allowance, plus some of the jockeys (not Beep Beep Burrow's) were allowed an extra weight allowance due to their own inexperience.

• Thanks 1

On 14/01/2023 at 22:18, Jack Russell said:

Marwan Koukash, didn't he race a few horses with rl connections? I'm sure he did.

Correct, one horse he had was called Steve Prescott. If I recall correctly he stated he had been waiting a while to find a horse deserving of the name. Unfortunately while it won a few races it was not a great horse.