London Skolars New Owners

Has been announced today the club has been bought by an Australian consortium. Subject to RFL approval they should be in place for this season. The current directors and previous ones particularly Hector McNeil, have done an amazing job but hopefully we can now be taken to the next level (and the one after that, SL!) Also hopefully this will be a chance to reboot RL in London or at least North and East London. 

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, IM2 said:

Most interesting comment was they said Broncos will no longer be no 1 in london

That's an achievable target if they have a bit of money and common sense. The latter being something the Broncos have embarrassingly little of.

• Like 6

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

35 minutes ago, EssexRL said:

Has been announced today the club has been bought by an Australian consortium. Subject to RFL approval they should be in place for this season. The current directors and previous ones particularly Hector McNeil, have done an amazing job but hopefully we can now be taken to the next level (and the one after that, SL!) Also hopefully this will be a chance to reboot RL in London or at least North and East London. 

Any links to the announcement ? Quotes etc....

23 minutes ago, IM2 said:

Most interesting comment was they said Broncos will no longer be no 1 in london and Superleague is the only target. 

Where's this coming from? Did you both hear this at the match or is it reported somewhere? Its potentially very interesting.

• Like 1

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

Just now, DI Keith Fowler said:

Where's this coming from? Did you both hear this at the match or is it reported somewhere? Its potentially very interesting.

Was announced today at the match. I am also a share holder (not director) so can confirm legit 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

55 minutes ago, IM2 said:

Most interesting comment was they said Broncos will no longer be no 1 in london and Superleague is the only target. 

I’m struggling to understand what this means, but maybe I’m just being thick…

Broncos will no longer be number 1 in London implies someone else will be number 1?

• Haha 2

Some great news coming from the Capital, can only be good for Rugby League, the Broncos need proper competition down there so the fans can build up a tribal loyalty like in the North. I just hope for all concerned that it has the full backing of the RFL and is not another flash in the pan. Rugby League needs a strong London based team or two to be taken seriously especially by the media. 

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

It really was just an unexpected 2 minute speech from from a ‘guy’ at the end of the meal - think Skolars current board/directors were caught unaware about it being announced publicly as i got the impression there are still a few things to sort out and also needs RFL approval etc…. but certainly a promising sound base to build on if serious investment forthcoming & sports knowledge used. (Heard rumour the ‘guy’ had flown in from New Zealand just to attend the fundraising meal & game and was flying back a couple of days later.)

2B71D8D5-337F-4118-85D5-B0370BED4518.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Expatknight said:

Some great news coming from the Capital, can only be good for Rugby League, the Broncos need proper competition down there so the fans can build up a tribal loyalty like in the North. I just hope for all concerned that it has the full backing of the RFL and is not another flash in the pan. Rugby League needs a strong London based team or two to be taken seriously especially by the media. 

It had a strong London based team owned by a very famous and wealthy man and still they failed 

• Confused 1

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

1 minute ago, DEANO said:

It had a strong London based team owned by a very famous and wealthy man and still they failed 

Best not try again then, eh?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 6

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Wow, that is unexpected and they are some absolutely huge claims from their prospective owner.

I hope for Skolars’ sake, this isn’t a false dawn like the time David Argyle was said to be investing in them. That was announced officially, IIRC, and unsurprisingly, a sum of zero was ever invested. 

It’ll be interesting to hear more about the consortium, who they are and what’s going to happen. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IM2 said:

That requires the purchase of a sports centre or moving elsewhere. The latter has always been the problem for London Broncos, Skolars’ continuity at the New River has always been a massive positive. 

• Like 2

If Hector thinks its the best way forward then that's good enough for me. Interesting stuff, and hopefully exciting times

• Like 6

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

33 minutes ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

If Hector thinks its the best way forward then that's good enough for me. Interesting stuff, and hopefully exciting times

We need funding to grow so hopefully this will deliver. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, student said:

It really was just an unexpected 2 minute speech from from a ‘guy’ at the end of the meal - think Skolars current board/directors were caught unaware about it being announced publicly as i got the impression there are still a few things to sort out and also needs RFL approval etc…. but certainly a promising sound base to build on if serious investment forthcoming & sports knowledge used. (Heard rumour the ‘guy’ had flown in from New Zealand just to attend the fundraising meal & game and was flying back a couple of days later.)

2B71D8D5-337F-4118-85D5-B0370BED4518.jpeg

from what I understand the investors have already been signed off by the RFL before. so you would think it will all be ok. lots to build on at the club. Skolars make a little bit go a long way. never had any debt or gone under and a solid base and history. most of the team are from their own juniors and London pathway. they did really well a few seasons ago when Wigan loaned them 3 quality players. top of the league mid season so if there is an injection of a dozen quality players League 1 will get very interesting for them. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, IM2 said:

from what I understand the investors have already been signed off by the RFL before. so you would think it will all be ok. lots to build on at the club. Skolars make a little bit go a long way. never had any debt or gone under and a solid base and history. most of the team are from their own juniors and London pathway. they did really well a few seasons ago when Wigan loaned them 3 quality players. top of the league mid season so if there is an injection of a dozen quality players League 1 will get very interesting for them. 

Any idea what went wrong last time they were signed off, ie why they didn’t invest in a club?