London Skolars New Owners

12 minutes ago, EssexRL said:

I am not sure you need too deep pockets (by rich people's standards) to be competitive in L1 or even Championship given the current set up with the club. Clearly SL is another issue all together but if we grow and are successful then maybe that will attract additional support (people and investment). 

Yes of course, and it would be nice if you could get to the Championship and compete with them all especially Broncos...

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, EssexRL said:

I am not sure you need too deep pockets (by rich people's standards) to be competitive in L1 or even Championship given the current set up with the club. Clearly SL is another issue all together but if we grow and are successful then maybe that will attract additional support (people and investment). 

The truth is securing additional investment from the UK has not been possible despite the club's best efforts. Carrying on as we are means, well carrying on as we are - both on and off the field and long term I do not think that is viable.

Agreed, but their intention was to be #1 club in London, which would presumably include the ambition of challenging for SL. Be interesting to see how they go about this

• Like 1

1 hour ago, newbe said:

A lot must depend on the new league structures next season. Who knows if there is even going to a be a league 1. Sorry for being negative. 

I’m sure these people will have already discussed that with the RFL and IMG, they’re professionals and won’t p155 money up the wall. Also don’t forget IMG have said London is a key target. 

On 22/01/2023 at 22:48, OriginalMrC said:

This would have either been when Skolars were still amateur or when we were still in the EU. It was much easier for Aussies and Kiwis who were EU passport holders to play in the UK. 

The rules have also changed over the years. Currently it is challenging to bring a foreign player to play in England (in league 1)

And so it should be, if not downright impossible.

On 23/01/2023 at 13:33, Eddie said:

I’d forgotten about New York. Not sure if they were always pie in the sky or a victim of the pandemic. Would have been great if it had happened though. 

I have literally just pulled one of their t shirts out of my washing machine. Typical rugby league - a load of hype, but zero underlying substance. 

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

I’m sure these people will have already discussed that with the RFL and IMG, they’re professionals and won’t p155 money up the wall. Also don’t forget IMG have said London is a key target. 

Is that code for "London" clubs will be treated as special cases and therefore won't be put against a wall and shot?

14 hours ago, Hemi4561 said:

Is that code for "London" clubs will be treated as special cases and therefore won't be put against a wall and shot?

If they want to try and tap into and develop the sport in a city of 9 million people they you might hope yes.

On 22/01/2023 at 07:19, langpark said:

I also agree that a name change would be good. 'Skolars' I always felt sounded like an academy team name or something. 

I have always thought that if the names were changed to North London Skolars and West London Broncos that might generate a bit of local 'belonging', (and rivalry) and that still leaves room for a South and an  East team to pop up too. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Jam Eater  1.(noun. jam eeter) A Resident of Whitehaven or Workington. Offensive.  It is now a term of abuse that both towns of West Cumbria use for each other especially at Workington/Whitehaven rugby league derby matches.

St Albans Centurions Website 

15 minutes ago, Exiled Townie said:

I have always thought that if the names were changed to North London Skolars and West London Broncos that might generate a bit of local 'belonging', (and rivalry) and that still leaves room for a South and an  East team to pop up too. 

Given where the Broncos are now you could just do a straight North/South split between them and Skolars. 

• Like 1

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

One of the main reasons why London Broncos have failed is the constant ground moves, name changes, changes in branding and kit colours.
People proposing name changes and ground moves for the Skolars have no idea.
One of their main selling points and what makes them an attractive investment is the long term link to the Skolars ground and the local area, their colours have always been red and black and they've always been known as Skolars. 
The biggest selling point any club has is history, tradition, consistency and stability in the product. I really hope there are no changes to any of the above and the ground is gradually developed over time. 

Build an affinity with supporters through a clear understanding of club colours, club ground, name of the team etc, these are the factors that bring supporters closer to a club over time.
When you change these frequently you lose a good number of supporters and I know that coz I've seen it happen at the Broncos.

Edited by The Daddy
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Exiled Townie said:

I think you don't need to go that far, but more subtle things like "the pride of North London" for example in the marketing could help that. I note West Ham and Chelsea football clubs do note London on much of their branding/clothing/merchandise (in the reverse of this) but it isn't overstated imo.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Hemi4561 said:

And just how long, and at what cost has this tapping into London been going on?

Forty years (poorly), dunno what the cost is but Hughes, Lenegan, Branson and those before have been willing to do so. It’s no different to questioning the cost of, say, Swinton or Oldham. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, The Daddy said:
One of the main reasons why London Broncos have failed is the constant ground moves, name changes, changes in branding and kit colours.
People proposing name changes and ground moves for the Skolars have no idea.
One of their main selling points and what makes them an attractive investment is the long term link to the Skolars ground and the local area, their colours have always been red and black and they've always been known as Skolars. 
The biggest selling point any club has is history, tradition, consistency and stability in the product. I really hope there are no changes to any of the above and the ground is gradually developed over time. 

Build an affinity with supporters through a clear understanding of club colours, club ground, name of the team etc, these are the factors that bring supporters closer to a club over time.
When you change these frequently you lose a good number of supporters and I know that coz I've seen it happen at the Broncos.

You're right in respect of LB (and generally) but given Skolars probably have 150-200 core fans I suspect a one-off change in name linked to a relaunch to raise awareness wouldn't be the end of the world. No need to change venue though (although we did play at Enfield for a while while New River was getting sorted including one of my fav Friday Night Lights).

On 25/01/2023 at 17:31, ShropshireBull said:

What a competitive budget in L1, probably 200k puts you up there but with the London effect we have seen you are really paying double. Yeah Batley probably operate on 200k playing budget but heartlands team. Outside of heartland you kind of have to go full time. 

I expect we are talking nearer £500k TBH but who knows!

4 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Forty years (poorly), dunno what the cost is but Hughes, Lenegan, Branson and those before have been willing to do so. It’s no different to questioning the cost of, say, Swinton or Oldham. 

The difference is that Swinton and Oldham and their like, don't have the 9 million population that was quoted, nor have they spent the 100 million that those 3 gentlemen cumulatively have probably spent on only 2 clubs.

If Northern towns with a population of 50000 can get 500 to attend ,then a population of 9 million at that rate should give an audience of around 90000 which patently is  not happening. Does this mean that the people of London do not have an appetite for the game ? or that more clubs in London,like football, may actually produce a better uptake by promoting "tribalism"?

30 minutes ago, Hemi4561 said:

The difference is that Swinton and Oldham and their like, don't have the 9 million population that was quoted, nor have they spent the 100 million that those 3 gentlemen cumulatively have probably spent on only 2 clubs.

If Northern towns with a population of 50000 can get 500 to attend ,then a population of 9 million at that rate should give an audience of around 90000 which patently is  not happening. Does this mean that the people of London do not have an appetite for the game ? or that more clubs in London,like football, may actually produce a better uptake by promoting "tribalism"?

They’ve actually got 100+ years of history and tradition of rugby league and thousands upon thousands who know what rugby league is and follow the sport on their doorsteps whilst also having millions of people within their localities. 

There will have been lots of money thrown at Oldham and Swinton, like your opinion on London, I’d query why this is still the case and whether it’s going to work in those respective places. 

The answer to London isn’t an attempt at forced tribalism. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EssexRL said:

You're right in respect of LB (and generally) but given Skolars probably have 150-200 core fans I suspect a one-off change in name linked to a relaunch to raise awareness wouldn't be the end of the world. No need to change venue though (although we did play at Enfield for a while while New River was getting sorted including one of my fav Friday Night Lights).

I like the name Skolars, an amusing play on word, hope they keep it. 

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, Hemi4561 said:

People in a northern town of 50,000 wouldn’t have anything like the distances to travel to their ground that 90,000 spread over London would. They could all walk it, while 98% of the London fans would need an arduous trip on public transport or a hellish journey by car. 

23 minutes ago, Eddie said:

People in a northern town of 50,000 wouldn’t have anything like the distances to travel to their ground that 90,000 spread over London would. They could all walk it, while 98% of the London fans would need an arduous trip on public transport or a hellish journey by car. 

Which is sort of my point, treating "London" as a place that could attract tens of thousands from across the metropolis to watch Skolars and Broncos is a mistake. Break it down into say 4 zones and try to get 5000 to each would be better than it is now,with less travelling.And if public transport or using a car is to much for Londoners then there really is no point as it would clarify that not enough people down there are interested so RL might as well  give up down there.

• Like 4