Well said Ryan Brierley

He spoke really well on the show me the money youtube show the other week, where he elaborated further. Imagine the flack from all sides if a player started modelling etc??

I remember Darryl Powell stopped Oliver Holmes and Jai Hitchcox from having a podcast a couple of years ago. 

British Rugby League claims to be inclusive but it's the very opposite. So insular

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Tim Streets tache said:

I remember Darryl Powell stopped Oliver Holmes and Jai Hitchcox from having a podcast a couple of years ago. 

British Rugby League claims to be inclusive but it's the very opposite. So insular

I think this is where the lack of media training shines through. When you look at some of our players on social media, you can't blame clubs for being apprehensive about some of their players taking on "extracurricular" projects, but this is where training has to come into it. 

The point Brierley is making is right, and this is another one of those things which makes you ask "what are the PR and media people at the respective clubs doing if they're not doing this?", but it does feel like more of a rant - a "someone has to do something" type plea without him considering that that "someone" could well be him, in is position as someone responsible for increasing the profile and earnings of his clients. 

• Like 2

You can't just let people loose with a microphone without training, spot on. And training from the right people, not banter merchants!

And on social media, it's not wise to praise a boxer for winning when they were openly homophobic last week, as some we're doing at the weekend. It's not a good look.

Edited by RigbyLuger

3 hours ago, Tim Streets tache said:

He spoke really well on the show me the money youtube show the other week, where he elaborated further. Imagine the flack from all sides if a player started modelling etc??

We've had two players who had successful careers as models. Nick Youngquest played for Crusaders RL Superleague team and is the face of Paco Rabbanes INVICTUS fragrance and Stuart Reardon, who did a number of book covers and clothing lines as well as male model shots.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Have to say I think this is backwards, people get invited on to those shows because they already have a wider profile , even if temporarily. That´´s why we see lots of people pop up when their sport is in the spotlight. We dont have annual NH internationals so we dont have any right to a national profile. 

Not quite true, if you check out things like cookery shows the people on are usually there to sell something, they have a book out, a film, a new TV series, agents get them the gig. The producers of the shows would probably be relieved to have someone on who is not there to flog their latest book.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

8 hours ago, RigbyLuger said:

You can't just let people loose with a microphone without training, spot on. And training from the right people, not banter merchants!

And on social media, it's not wise to praise a boxer for winning when they were openly homophobic last week, as some we're doing at the weekend. It's not a good look.

Yeah, i agree. That Rugby AM show for instance had countless bits of so called "banter" which could be classed as homophobic. I have a very close family member who is a member of the LGBQT+ community and had they been interested in RL would've been upset/made to feel very uncomfortable with some of the banter on there. Specifically the Team Mates section. The players came across as absolute knuckledraggers with 1970s mindset.

Not to mention that absolute prat "Wagga" blacking up and excitedly sharing videos of a female players breasts being exposed. Gutter stuff.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, RigbyLuger said:

Plenty pros seem to enjoy the content from tools like Tommy Robinson, Andrew Tate, Farage, Peterson etc.

Isn't a good look.

Edited by Tim Streets tache
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, whatmichaelsays said:

I think this is where the lack of media training shines through. When you look at some of our players on social media, you can't blame clubs for being apprehensive about some of their players taking on "extracurricular" projects, but this is where training has to come into it. 

The point Brierley is making is right, and this is another one of those things which makes you ask "what are the PR and media people at the respective clubs doing if they're not doing this?", but it does feel like more of a rant - a "someone has to do something" type plea without him considering that that "someone" could well be him, in is position as someone responsible for increasing the profile and earnings of his clients. 

I think the likes of Ryan Hall. Alex Walmsley and Kyle Amour would be good examples who would come over very well on TV in non Rugby League programs as they are in my opinion intelligent people and not be out of their comfort zones

• Like 1

9 hours ago, whatmichaelsays said:

But Hitchcox and Holmes weren't in that dodgy bracket. They had an entertaining show which compared with some of the other RL podcast media out there sounded good.

I agree there are some examples that you wouldn't want highlighting too much, but this is where we need to broaden our horizons too. Perhaps there is a broader point about the professionals we are producing as well, both good and bad.

• Like 1

On 23/01/2023 at 07:36, The Future is League said:

We need to get more players on Q of S and these cooking shows etc

This was always the case and apart from the obvious Beeb question where's people like showmethemoney in this kind of arena?

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

1 hour ago, JM2010 said:

RL seems to have a low profile on Sky at the moment too. I went on the sport section which appears on the home screen and a list of sports appear but no RL. You have to go to the bottom into Other Sports to find RL

Sadly they're a great partner but they've been trying to be the Beeb for a long while. I s'pose I mean UK News meets Aunty. I've been with Sky since Gary jack starred on their screen but if RL went they'd be in the bin faster than an RL winger!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

15 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

But Hitchcox and Holmes weren't in that dodgy bracket. They had an entertaining show which compared with some of the other RL podcast media out there sounded good.

I agree there are some examples that you wouldn't want highlighting too much, but this is where we need to broaden our horizons too. Perhaps there is a broader point about the professionals we are producing as well, both good and bad.

They may not have been, but I can at the very least understand (if not agree) with a club deciding that they'd rather not have players engaging in media duties without the club's oversight, because you don't have to look far to find case studies of that going wrong. 

Like I said, for me there is a lot of this rooted in poor (or non-existent) media training across the sport. @The Future is League is absolutely right that we do have some bright, media-savvy people within the game, but they shouldn't be the outliers and I think this is where we've lacked a lot of investment, both financially and culturally, in media relations. We know that media partners find certain clubs / people within the game reluctant to give us time, and we know that there are a lot of people (not just players) who are, shall we say, "high risk". 

On 23/01/2023 at 23:49, Tommygilf said:

It could be really good when they had a guest on but I was cringing at times. Agree about producing professionals. It felt like they needed a steady hand to keep them in check! 

I wasn’t surprised when Powell pulled the plug. He was one of their guests just a few months before they finished, so don’t think he was always against it…probably just thought they were going to get themselves into trouble soon, which was fair in my opinion.