Happy Valley - TV series

I have listened to the hype and the IMDB rating hype 

Expected it to be amazing so we started first 2 episodes of series 1 last night 

It is good but blimey it's grim. It's really dark and should be named Non- happy Valley 

I quite like the West Yorkshire scenery and the story but not sure I have the stomach to watch again tonight......might leave me too depressed 

34 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

It is good but blimey it's grim. It's really dark and should be named Non- happy Valley 

I quite like the West Yorkshire scenery and the story but not sure I have the stomach to watch again tonight......might leave me too depressed 

We've just re watched series 1 and 2, before catching up with the final episodes. It's enjoyable, even if half of the time we're just debating exactly where all the locations are. 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

4 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Did exactly the same dropped it after 2 episodes far too depressing. I don’t mind drama but not this. I was actually surprised that Phil Redmond had nothing to do with it, since it was straight out of his depressing “realism” 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bostik Bailey said:

Did exactly the same dropped it after 2 episodes far too depressing. I don’t mind drama but not this. I was actually surprised that Phil Redmond had nothing to do with it, since it was straight out of his depressing “realism” 

We've just done episode 3 .....extraordinarily it gets even more depressing.....

...her cop colleague gets repeatedly and deliberately slowly run over....then all the fall out of that on this same evening mixes with .......her seeing flashback  images of her daughter hanging herself, her delinquent grandson shouting at her ( because her ex husband wants nothing to do with him as he was the product of her dead daughters rape), her ex-heroin addict sister trying to comfort her, her ex husband trying to sh*g her behind his new wife's back, her boss trying to manipulate her to let off a politician she nicked for cocaine possession.....all while failing to catch her daughters rapist who has just raped and kidnapped another woman...oh and she has a black eye through out after getting tw****ed in the face by drug dealers 

It should be called 'Not so happy Valley' 

Are all Northern towns like this?

Edited by Bedfordshire Bronco

36 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

We've just done episode 3 .....extraordinarily it gets even more depressing.....

...her cop colleague gets repeatedly and deliberately slowly run over....then all the fall out of that on this same evening mixes with .......her seeing flashback  images of her daughter hanging herself, her delinquent grandson shouting at her ( because her ex husband wants nothing to do with him as he was the product of her dead daughters rape), her ex-heroin addict sister trying to comfort her, her ex husband trying to sh*g her behind his new wife's back, her boss trying to manipulate her to let off a politician she nicked for cocaine possession.....all while failing to catch her daughters rapist who has just raped and kidnapped another woman...oh and she has a black eye through out after getting tw****ed in the face by drug dealers 

It should be called 'Not so happy Valley' 

Are all Northern towns like this?

There's more going on in one series of happy valley than would go on in a lifetime of policing in Calderdale some might say.

There are lots of problems in lots of towns and cities right across the country, some more severe than others.

It is a very good show otherwise though!

9 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

There's more going on in one series of happy valley than would go on in a lifetime of policing in Calderdale some might say.

There are lots of problems in lots of towns and cities right across the country, some more severe than others.

It is a very good show otherwise though!

Huge amount going on 

Think we are going to keep watching....episode 4 tonight 

I was of course kidding about suggesting all Northern towns are like that! 

I think Calderdale- Skipton area is my favourite part of West /lower North Yorkshire ....in terms of what it offers etc. Me and the missus have discussed moving there in 10/15 years when kids have gone!

The show is written by a Lancastrian from Oldham ... a place that makes Halifax look like the Bahamas.

Obviously:

- She's now married to a rich bloke from Burnley and they live in that well-known patch of Lancashire ...  London. Properties in Richmond reportedly  had an overall average price of £1,042,213 over the last year.

-She's  a true Lancastrian and sets her Happy Valley scripts in Yorkshire

- She could have had the common decency to set them in Leeds.

• Like 1

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

This was one of the inspirations for at least some of the storylines.

Shed Your Tears and Walk Away https://g.co/kgs/w7oHWL

• Like 1

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

41 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

The show is written by a Lancastrian from Oldham ... a place that makes Halifax look like the Bahamas.

Obviously:

- She's now married to a rich bloke from Burnley and they live in that well-known patch of Lancashire ...  London. Properties in Richmond reportedly  had an overall average price of £1,042,213 over the last year.

The writer (Sally Wainwright) was born in Huddersfield and brought up in Sowerby Bridge which as well as Halifax and Hebden Bridge are the settings for the programme. She now lives in Oxfordshire.
The main actor (Sarah Lancashire) was born in Oldham.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

Obviously:

I thought Sally Wainwright was from Yorkshire.

1 hour ago, Wolford6 said:

Obviously:

Ha! ....never really spent time in Oldham so I'll take your word for it 

2 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Just finished it 

I get why people say it's good but the relentless misery means I'm a no for series 2 

I started to really hate Sarah L by the end too....

Watched Series 1 and 2 seemingly years ago and now up to episode 3 in Series 3 which is currently on one of our Government channels. My wife loves the show!

Isn't the nearest high security prison to Sheffield at Wakefield? A Hull school classmate worked there as a prison officer for a while after training at Brixton back in the early 60's.

7 hours ago, George Watt said:

Watched Series 1 and 2 seemingly years ago and now up to episode 3 in Series 3 which is currently on one of our Government channels. My wife loves the show!

Isn't the nearest high security prison to Sheffield at Wakefield? A Hull school classmate worked there as a prison officer for a while after training at Brixton back in the early 60's.

The prison in series 1 says HMP Dewsbury....which I am sure does not exist

On 26/01/2023 at 01:54, George Watt said:

Monster Mansion, on Love Lane next to a Brewery

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

Monster Mansion, on Love Lane next to a Brewery

Or Home Sweet Home? 😉

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

20 hours ago, ivans82 said:

Best thing on television , Sarah Lancashire should walk away with the Bafta .Story moves along at a fast rate unlike most dramas which are long and drawn out and stretch to 6 episodes when they could all have been wrapped up in 2 .

Lightening fast pace...almost shockingly so 

On reflection after a day or two I've increased my IMDB score from 6 to 7