19 man squad

Anyone else feel this seems a little light in numbers for a full season, even with DR available? 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

4 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

They've got a reserve team so I guess it's not really a 19-man squad. It is light in numbers in terms of proven Championship players though.

Only a couple in the elites will come when the elite season ends. They have hopes of a couple of SL players , depending on who is surplus to SL requirements....after all the pre-season faffing that is. There are a few injuries and guys who arrived not fully fit who will miss the first few games so they are very light for the start of the season

8 hours ago, kiggy said:

There are a few injuries and guys who arrived not fully fit who will miss the first few games so they are very light for the start of the season

I hope not more than 2 then from a 19 man squad!

As it has been said previously, are T.O. hopeful of being fastracked into the top flight by IMG, it is a very dangerous attitude to take if so.

12 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

They've got a reserve team so I guess it's not really a 19-man squad. It is light in numbers in terms of proven Championship players though.

You'll be able to watch their reserves on saturday  on YouTube as Lezignan take on Toulouse Elite 1 with a 5pm (GMT) 

1 hour ago, Jughead said:

Unlike others at that level, they have a reserve team, so it’s probably closer to 40 available to Toulouse rather than nineteen. That’s before they bring anyone in, which I’m sure they’ll do. 

This year they upped their reserves -  two from Villeneuse who came back to TO in Marguerite and Masselot who have played for France in the past - the former here played for France 'A' against England Knights last year. Brochon came over from the Dragons and Pelligra from Carcassonne decent level half-backs. Just this weekend their U19s beat Dragons (24-16) unbroken record too.

On top of that just this week agreed with the Dragons to have players from their squad when needed.

Edited by audois
  • Like 1

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

I hope not more than 2 then from a 19 man squad!

As it has been said previously, are T.O. hopeful of being fastracked into the top flight by IMG, it is a very dangerous attitude to take if so.

They don't have much choice presently. They are not doing this as an attitude.  A new owner would help, but it's difficult finding the talent to want to move to France at the moment and with the 300k or so lost to travelling clubs then they are at a bit of a disadvantage.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, audois said:

This year they upped their reserves -  two from Villeneuse who came back to TO in Marguerite and Masselot who have played for France in the past - the former here played for France 'A' against England Knights last year. Brochon came over from the Dragons and Pelligra from Carcassonne decent level half-backs. Just this weekend their U19s beat Dragons (24-16) unbroken record too.

On top of that just this week agreed with the Dragons to have players from their squad when needed.

Marguerite won't be available. I'm hoping Brochon and Lima can step up. The U19 do look good though, but I wouldn't read too much into the result the Catalan reserves is where the good players will end up

15 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Could also be that Toulouse saw how Leigh did it, the only important game in CHampionship is the last one, getting into the playoffs is enough so why not add players and strengthen throughout the season than blow your budget at the start. The Elite 1 comes to an end half way through the season, a few will come from their and a few lads kicking their heels in SL or Australia will come over. 

First game of the season will be a good test though. 

Toulouse will do well to pick up players of the quality of Lam, Asiata, and Ipape. Whereas I am sure that they will be strong, they won’t be anywhere near the level of Leigh. Plus other teams, Fev, Fax, Bulls are stronger and Batley, Widnes, Keighley and York will be a threat. I may be biased, but Fev the strongest for me at this stage.

30 minutes ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

Toulouse will do well to pick up players of the quality of Lam, Asiata, and Ipape. Whereas I am sure that they will be strong, they won’t be anywhere near the level of Leigh. Plus other teams, Fev, Fax, Bulls are stronger and Batley, Widnes, Keighley and York will be a threat. I may be biased, but Fev the strongest for me at this stage.

I agree and think Fev are currently clear favourites for me with the signings made. Looking through the squad numbers, there are 27 top quality championship(and some SL quality) players and I can't see any dead weight unlike last year. For me it all depends now on injuries and how Long transitions to a head coach role over the course of a season and improve the attitude/culture side of things which i think was lacking under McDermott.

Toulouse are really behind on recruitment and even the 19 they have isn't overflowing with quality. Even with players coming from the reserve team, that looks like a team that will finish 3/4 at best. They could be in for a tough season unless they get 4/5 quality imports in from Australia, because I don't think there is going to be a great deal of quality to be picked up from SL at this stage.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, LeytherRob said:

I agree and think Fev are currently clear favourites for me with the signings made. Looking through the squad numbers, there are 27 top quality championship(and some SL quality) players and I can't see any dead weight unlike last year. For me it all depends now on injuries and how Long transitions to a head coach role over the course of a season and improve the attitude/culture side of things which i think was lacking under McDermott.

Toulouse are really behind on recruitment and even the 19 they have isn't overflowing with quality. Even with players coming from the reserve team, that looks like a team that will finish 3/4 at best. They could be in for a tough season unless they get 4/5 quality imports in from Australia, because I don't think there is going to be a great deal of quality to be picked up from SL at this stage.

Reading the comments made by Toulouse Officials it doesn't look like they have the cash to make 4 or 5 quality signings. Apparently they fund the travel for other teams going to France, and costs have obviously spiralled in recent times. I am sure they will still be competitive, but hard to see them dominating this time.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/01/2023 at 21:33, The Phantom Horseman said:

I think the "19-man squad" has been put into perspective now, there are five promotions from the reserve team named in Toulouse's squad for round 2 meaning they effectively have a squad of 25 now.

Dragons pack looks like

Bousquet/Mcllorum/Taukeiaho/McMeeken/Seguier/Garcia/Ma'u /Da Costa/Goudemand/Navarrete - Ten

Players on the edge possibly like Dezaria and young Chan. McNamara would't having those lads hanging around and maybe would be useful for TO ?

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg