IMG proposals

POR

2 hours ago, Hemi4561 said:

Why don't they just look in a mirror, or at a photo of our resident marketing putative millionaire.

Product has a value of £5, a salesman sells it for £5. A "marketing" expert talks a load of cobblers trying to convince you to pay £ 15 for it, snake oil peddlers.

Nearly right Hemi , except the proffessional liar ( salesman ) will sell it for a tenner 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, steve oates said:

Salford got great facilities, Salford started getting success on the pitch, but their problem is Manchester United and Manchester City which you entirely miss. Shows your ignorance........

Their problem is lack of marketing.

How do you explain their poor crowds in the soccer off season?

Not all sports fans like Soccer despite what some people think

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Hemi4561 said:

Why don't they just look in a mirror, or at a photo of our resident marketing putative millionaire.

Product has a value of £5, a salesman sells it for £5. A "marketing" expert talks a load of cobblers trying to convince you to pay £ 15 for it, snake oil peddlers.

And these horrible, beastly capitalists who can get more money for something than it is truly worth are involved with rugby league.

Well, that sounds terrible.

Won't somebody think of our vital corinthian spirit.

• Haha 5

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

9 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Nearly right Hemi , except the proffessional liar ( salesman ) will sell it for a tenner 

Hey Gubrats.  I will have to ask you this question as you have created a successful business and I am not sure if Hemi has.

If your company had created a product that was worth a value of £5 did you then sell it for £5 or did you get your ‘beastly professional liars (sales people)’ to try sell it to your customers for more than £5?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

6 hours ago, The Future is League said:

Their problem is lack of marketing.

How do you explain their poor crowds in the soccer off season?

Not all sports fans like Soccer despite what some people think

There's a soccer off season?

I thought that was abolished years ago.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

12 hours ago, Hemi4561 said:

Couldn’t agree more mate. Anyway, I’ve got some new watches in it you’re interested? These are 8% better than any others, 13 hour faces, more time to get stuff done - they’re a life changer!

2620B28F-3F27-4DAD-9B01-F9FA28627EA8.jpeg

• Haha 1

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

16 hours ago, Dave T said:

Doing the right things will deliver the right outcomes. That is what licenaibg/grading etc is all about. Taking shortcuts and looking for success to underpin everything is probably the riskiest plan around, yet it gets championed. 

At the beginning of this post you use Salford as an example of recently being quite successful but still only getting modest growth, but then you conclude with licencing/grading will improve things.

Will the man on the street in this case a Salford St, be swayed by a grading system that determines where Salford sit on the grading ladder, will any Rugby League fan actually be influenced to attend games because of the grading system?

• Thanks 1

Brian Noble calling for a radical revamp of pro rugby league led to a predictable and sad facebook thread. The usual garbage trotted out - back to winter, scrapping the play-offs and Grand Final, proper scrums (and proper tackles, whatever that means), 14 teams in SL, 2 up 2 down, Yorkshire Cup, Lancashire Cup, and my personal favourite the return of the Roses matches (*).

"It'll be just like Origin"

No wait, my favourite was to go back to being amateur with "a few professionals in each team".

This is one of the many things IMG are up against. They must wonder what they've taken on.

(*) there were some sarcastic ones, but it was a thin line between those and the serious ones.

• Like 3

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Just now, tim2 said:

Brian Noble calling for a radical revamp of pro rugby league led to a predictable and sad facebook thread. The usual garbage trotted out - back to winter, scrapping the play-offs and Grand Final, proper scrums (and proper tackles, whatever that means), 14 teams in SL, 2 up 2 down, Yorkshire Cup, Lancashire Cup, and my personal favourite the return of the Roses matches (*).

"It'll be just like Origin"

No wait, my favourite was to go back to being amateur with "a few professionals in each team".

This is one of the many things IMG are up against. They must wonder what they've taken on.

(*) there were some sarcastic ones, but it was a thin line between those and the serious ones.

Did you also have, "games meant more when all the players were born within a gnat's spit of the ground"?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

40 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Did you also have, "games meant more when all the players were born within a gnat's spit of the ground"?

Only by implication.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

9 hours ago, The Future is League said:

Their problem is lack of marketing. How do you explain their poor crowds in the soccer off season?

The soccer off season?? Are you suggesting soccer fans switch to Rugby League during the summer??

Blimey, if that was the case Leeds Rhinos and Wakefield Wildcats would sell out all summer  😎

54 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

At the beginning of this post you use Salford as an example of recently being quite successful but still only getting modest growth, but then you conclude with licencing/grading will improve things.

Will the man on the street in this case a Salford St, be swayed by a grading system that determines where Salford sit on the grading ladder, will any Rugby League fan actually be influenced to attend games because of the grading system?

Of course they won't, unless they are one of the  chosen few "A" graders which include erm "Warrington"😎

On 26/01/2023 at 21:23, GUBRATS said:

Probably as a result of a speeling eror. Two "f"s in professional? And here's me thinking there was no f in professional at Leigh. 👍😀

• Haha 4

On 27/01/2023 at 09:47, Harry Stottle said:

We are not a American

On 27/01/2023 at 09:47, Harry Stottle said:

A grading system will mean clubs will have to focus on all areas of being a strong club. It ain't rocket science - I understand you not liking it, that's personal preference around wanting things to be decided on the field and allowing clubs to fall or rise based on that, but let's not make out it is a flawed system. 

Fans won't be attracted by a grading system - they may very well be attracted by the things clubs are forced to do under a grading system.

I'm loathe to do this - but I'll bring Toronto into this. It's probably a perfect example of how clubs can look great, do the fancy things, buy great players, and sure that can bring in some fans, but it all means nothing now as they have vanished. Toronto did a lot of good and exciting things, but they were ultimately a very weak club with no solid foundations. That may have come over time, and we don't need to go over all that again, but maybe judging clubs on their true strength rather than just winning some games could actually be for the benefit of the game.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Dave T said:

A grading system will mean clubs will have to focus on all areas of being a strong club.

This seems sound on the face of it but the small print makes it look like a Blueprint for much the same as what's taking place now, only with categories and several very safe forever clubs.

54 minutes ago, Dave T said:

but maybe judging clubs on their true strength rather than just winning some games could actually be for the benefit of the game.

That will depend on the criteria used for "true strength" assessments.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

1 hour ago, Oxford said:

This seems sound on the face of it but the small print makes it look like a Blueprint for much the same as what's taking place now, only with categories and several very safe forever clubs.

That will depend on the criteria used for "true strength" assessments.

Of course it will all depend on how its implemented, but that goes for literally anything we can discuss here. 

13 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

If IMG can get some/any British clubs to do a Toronto we'll be laughing .....maybe they can

In part. We can't ignore the complete lack of foundation. I'm not sure the model of spending millions and millions of quid a year and not paying bills and going bust is one we should follow. 

But there are things to learn in PR, branding, event management etc. 

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Of course it will all depend on how its implemented, but that goes for literally anything we can discuss here. 

I can't believe that you think that's what I said Dave.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political