IMG proposals

POR

14 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Good , because the rest of us are as well 😂

Scroll on mate, scroll on 

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

12 hours ago, Hello said:

Just tuned in to the forum and am happy to find that peace and harmony are breaking out left right and centre 😀

If peace ever does break out it won't be because of those barstewards in the center!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

13 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Tbf, the Masters experience wasn't as good as my undergrad, and the Post Grad Diploma was even worse. My nostalgia for 4 nights out a week minimum and a quiet couple being 5 pints before we decided if we were actually going out is very strong.

Indeed. My undergrad involved 4 hours of lectures a week, the rest of the time was my own. And these days they charge you £9k for that and you’re paying £500 a month in rent. All the fun’s gone out of it..!!

• Like 1

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

I see on RLhub that the Wigan owner has come out for scrapping the SL Brand name. This is probably sensible as it's no longer a unique title or name. But branding is surely more than changing the label on the bottle. Surely we have to make the product appear unique in the market place too.

I put this on here because I assumed it must be one of the IMG proposals. We'll see.

Edited by Oxford

7 hours ago, Oxford said:

I see on RLhub that the Wigan owner has come out for scrapping the SL Brand name. This is probably sensible as it's no longer a unique title or name. But branding is surely more than changing the label on the bottle. Surely we have to make the product appear unique in the market place too.

I put this on here because I assumed it must be one of the IMG proposals. We'll see.

Daft idea , no sooner would we change and the WSL ( football version ) changes to what it should have been , the Women's Premier League , guaranteed 

We had it first , not our problem , in fact if we get people turning up at a WSL ( RL version ) game expecting to see a round ball , all the better 

7 hours ago, Oxford said:

Probably wants it called Wigan League 😉😂

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Daft idea

No not really though I doubt very much that it will be handled well.

But part of our problems is being mixed up in the market with another sport so how can we become distinct?

10 minutes ago, Oxford said:

No not really though I doubt very much that it will be handled well.

But part of our problems is being mixed up in the market with another sport so how can we become distinct?

As I said , we'll change , and then 12 months later the footy will change to the Women's Premier League , which is what it should have been from the start 

49 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

As I said , we'll change , and then 12 months later the footy will change to the Women's Premier League , which is what it should have been from the start 

That might happen but I don't think there's any certainty about it.

And isn't the Netball or basketball called SL too?

The point is though that IMG have this mind, or so we're told, but changing the label isn't enough on its own. It would be like Leigh Leopards rebranding and not bothering to sign any SL level players.

59 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

There already was a Women's Premier League. We've done this before.

These days, the Women's Premier League globally is the newly launched Women's IPL (cricket).

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

12 hours ago, gingerjon said:

There already was a Women's Premier League. We've done this before.

These days, the Women's Premier League globally is the newly launched Women's IPL (cricket).

Though it's all about our TGG rebrand, what that means and how we go about it.

It's amazing to me that no marketing group has looked at our sport and thought we could use TGG as part of our campaign.

Would ruffle quite a few feathers that; can you imagine the response in the cheesy sleezy world of the legacy press?

BT Sport under new ownership - might there be an interest in a non-exclusive deal that will allow a game a week on Channel 4 allowing, as Adam Hills has said, the opportunity to build a regular audience for the game.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-11772329/Premier-League-games-broadcast-new-channel-season-BT-Sport-rebrand.html

The choice for the game is clear

a) short-term money from SKY which will be used on wages and debt interest or

b) Greater exposure for the game on national FTA TV with should reap long term revenue rewards but a lower revenue deal frm the other pay TV company

• Like 1

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

45 minutes ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

b) Greater exposure for the game on national FTA TV with should reap long term revenue rewards but a lower revenue deal frm the other pay TV company

These shouldn't be seen as simple binary choice items and we should be aiming for both and I suspect IMG will.

And just for emphasis, it's no good if the entire world finding you instantly recognisable and on trend if the whole sport is impoverished.

Edited by Oxford

1 hour ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

I think a major problem with this is that this point is often unfounded. We have major coverage of RL at the moment - our internationals and Challenge Cup are live on the biggest channel in the country, Super League has had highlights shown on that platform for a couple of decades IIRC.

It is interesting that for yet another year, we have ambled into the season without any new sponsor deals, despite coming off the back of record exposure during the World Cup, plus a large number of club games in terrestrial TV. Our sponsor portfolio appears to be at an all time low right now, despite deals with BBC and C4 as well as Sky.

We should be very wary of moving away from taking the pots of money. I think we have a decent balance at the moment.

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

I think a major problem with this is that this point is often unfounded. We have major coverage of RL at the moment - our internationals and Challenge Cup are live on the biggest channel in the country, Super League has had highlights shown on that platform for a couple of decades IIRC.

It is interesting that for yet another year, we have ambled into the season without any new sponsor deals, despite coming off the back of record exposure during the World Cup, plus a large number of club games in terrestrial TV. Our sponsor portfolio appears to be at an all time low right now, despite deals with BBC and C4 as well as Sky.

We should be very wary of moving away from taking the pots of money. I think we have a decent balance at the moment.

After years of being behind a paywall, cricket has seen two World Cup finals on FTA alongside men's and women's internationals and The Hundred.

It has also, in that period, lost virtually all its main tournament sponsors.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

BT Sport under new ownership - might there be an interest in a non-exclusive deal that will allow a game a week on Channel 4 allowing, as Adam Hills has said, the opportunity to build a regular audience for the game.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-11772329/Premier-League-games-broadcast-new-channel-season-BT-Sport-rebrand.html

I don't think that's the choice, especially given that's not the situation we have now. Currently we have a core Sky deal AND around 15 domestic games on terrestrial each year. Hopefully there's room to expand that further, particularly getting the GF in terrestrial. 

And as for wages, our players are underpaid as it is - we have trainees earing less than McDonald's staff and early 20-year-olds jumping ship to the NRL.

No point getting the competition more eyeballs if the quality of players is declining, and we've already taken a big rights cut recently. It's a careful balance andnI think were getting it mostly right as it is. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

After years of being behind a paywall, cricket has seen two World Cup finals on FTA alongside men's and women's internationals and The Hundred.

It has also, in that period, lost virtually all its main tournament sponsors.

I'm very much a casual fan/observer of cricket and most other sports, but have they really lost all of their sponsors? I'm aware they have some deals not being renewed, but I expect they will be replaced and they do always seem to have sponsors, certainly compared to us. 

Let's be honest, we haven't even been able to get sponsors for our Challenge Cup and Internationals that have been on the BBC - we've ended up with BetFred picking them up like everything else.

4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I'm very much a casual fan/observer of cricket and most other sports, but have they really lost all of their sponsors? I'm aware they have some deals not being renewed, but I expect they will be replaced and they do always seem to have sponsors, certainly compared to us. 

Let's be honest, we haven't even been able to get sponsors for our Challenge Cup and Internationals that have been on the BBC - we've ended up with BetFred picking them up like everything else.

Headline sponsors for domestic and international series have all gone and not been replaced. One of the principal sponsors of The Hundred similarly has left and not been replaced.

5 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Headline sponsors for domestic and international series have all gone and not been replaced. One of the principal sponsors of The Hundred similarly has left and not been replaced.

Ok. The website is calling their comps Vitality Blast 2023, and LV= County Championships 2023....

Just now, Dave T said:

Ok. The website is calling their comps Vitality Blast 2023, and LV= County Championships 2023....

Royal London has gone and left early. There was one other on the international side that went. Cazoo left The Hundred.

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Royal London has gone and left early. There was one other on the international side that went. Cazoo left The Hundred.

Aye, and The Hundred is one of their assets with terrestrial coverage. 

I don't think it's as simple as Terrestrial v Paywall. Clearly the logic suggests there should be a correlation, but the evidence isn't always there imho. Although using RL as an example is always difficult, as I think we perform poorly in all markets and all scenarios.