Maurice Oldroyd RIP

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

Dear Me, I came on here to post some info about David Oxley's funeral and now I discover that Maurice has gone too.

Another lovely Man who did so much for the game. 

Maurice had an uncanny habit of turning up at events when organisers sometimes weren't aware that he was coming and would rush to get him something to eat and drink.

I was once at the Houses of Parliament in the days of David Hinchcliffe MP and Maurice turned up unannounced, much to the hilarity of the people that knew him. Needless to say he was looked after well. 

This was in the mid 2000's. On the same night, he thought he'd spotted Rupert Murdoch having a drink on the Terrace and went to remonstrate with him about the damage he'd done to the game following the Super League wars. But, again to the hilarity of those present, it wasn't him.

I'm genuinely saddened at this. RIP my friend. 

Edited by thecoffeeman
  • Like 2

If he was the guy who started BARLA (or at least the major driver behind it) then it is probably not unreasonable to say he saved the English game from extinction.

If BARLA had not come along when it did, the handful of amateur clubs who existed back then would probably have gradually disappeared. This, added to union becoming professional, and the drop off in kids' sport in general since the 80s would have left rugby league with almost no players coming through and nowhere to sign them from. 

I don't think it is too much of a stretch to say that the creation of BARLA (and Maurice driving that) is probably what saved English rugby league in the longer term.

R.I.P. 

• Like 3

Maurice and Fred Lindop did a lot of work establishing Rugby League in Leeds and Sheffield Universities which broadened the playing structure.Remember Maurice going round the pubs and clubs in Wakefield,Cas,Featherstone when he set up the Sunday League.He offered a free team strip to the Landlord and explained the benefit of having extra customers  twice a week after training and Sunday match day.A rugby League man through and through who will be missed.R.I.P.

• Like 4