Expectations for 2023

Indigogo

As the title suggests, what are everyone's expectations for the season ahead?

I'll start. With the calibre of signings we've made we have to be aiming for the play offs. Gale, Crooks, Walker, Adebiyi are all coming from SL and Ioane, Robson, Doyle, Roby are all established Championship players (Doyle is ripping it up in training and is SL quality by all accounts). Then there's Tomlinson who adds some depth in the back row and Storey has come from League one but looked good in the friendly. Adding these to players who already have extensive Championship experience such as Chizzy, Everett and Trout, I really think we should be well equipped to go well.

That said there are players such as Miller, Young, Roebuck, Parker, Graham, Levy and Agoro who looked great last season but will have to step up.

Can't wait for the rugby to actually start now!

Dunno about expectations but I would firstly,hope,we repeat the unbeaten run of 2022.

Failing that,doing the double over Newcastle Thunder, Sheffield Eagles, and YorkRLFCKnights,would be particularly pleasing - and defeating them in any other game.

It is a marathon,not a sprint,but confident of a good start with a home win.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

I would say my first expectation is to avoid going straight back down. However with the side we have recruited I think a top six finish is definitely achievable.

For me the stand out games will be against the bulls. I really really hope we can come out on top.

It will be a longer season than we're used to and i'm sure it will have many ups and downs. That's what it's all about - I can't wait.

Bring on the Fev.

Oh and a nice little cup run would be nice. It's been a while.

To get into last seasons Championship play offs you could only afford to lose 9 games 10 and you were out of them.

That's a win ratio of almost 70%. I've gone through fixture by fixture and I struggle to get to that number. 15 or 16 is the best I can come up with.

Can't see us getting anything out of Fev home or away but hope I'm wrong as I do think we might hit them with the surprise factor, small ground, first time on tv for us and if were not up for this we wont be up for any.

Toulouse away, Halifax home and away, Barrow away, Bradford away, Widnes away are all games I think we will struggle with.

Thus leaves us with having to win every other game to make the play offs.

I'm more cup half full than half empty but the competition is so strong when you look at the rest of the teams its hard to say we will win that one and that and that one etc.

Just glad we have put a good team together on paper unlike most teams that come up usually stick with there team that came up and add a few journey me.

Bring on a week Monday

On 27/01/2023 at 19:13, Mr Hicks said:

To get into last seasons Championship play offs you could only afford to lose 9 games 10 and you were out of them.

That's a win ratio of almost 70%. I've gone through fixture by fixture and I struggle to get to that number. 15 or 16 is the best I can come up with.

Just looking at last years final table and there was a big gap between 6th & 7th places (12 points). I am expecting it to be a lot more competetive this season. Bulls, Widnes, Sheffield and ourselves have all improved. I would hope the pack can catch the leading group this season. It has the makings of a great competition.

Totally agree, I think Fev will be clear at the top then Fax, Toulouse, Batley, York, Widnes, Sheff, Bradford, Barrow and us will all be capable of beating each other on the day.

Arguably Fax would expect to beating most teams and have a strong case for 2nd imo. Toulouse hard to call, small squad with not much recruitment, but full expect them to be up there still providing there isn't a glut of injuries. 

Then there's the rest which I think we will be a part of. I think injuries could have a huge say and then if a team can gain some momentum it could go a long way towards securing a play off place.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

On 01/02/2023 at 18:38, Mr Hicks said:

Maybe this season with such a strong division then more teams will be capable of beating each other. Hopefully a few shocks in the opening round including ourselves. 

Do you think it would be a shock beating Fev ? You're on a high after going undefeated, at home and you've got a cracking team. Chisholm will be out to prove a point and we loved him at Fev but McDermott had other ideas,anyway here's to a good game.

4 hours ago, Fevrover said:

Do you think it would be a shock beating Fev ? You're on a high after going undefeated, at home and you've got a cracking team. Chisholm will be out to prove a point and we loved him at Fev but McDermott had other ideas,anyway here's to a good game.

I think it would be a shock with the calibre of squad you guys have got this season. The strength in depth is is evident in pretty much every position. We've recruited well and i expect us to give it a good go. We've obviously got a threat in the halves with Gale and Chizzy and we have some quick/dynamic outside backs, so we've got to believe we can cause you guys some problems at least. Looking forward to welcoming a a good Fev following 😄

• Like 1

From Matt Shaw

5 Keighley Cougars
For several seasons now we've seen a team promoted from League 1 come into the Championship and surge into the play-offs. This should be no different. The Cougars play a good brand of rugby and have a quality squad that is comparable to most teams in this competition. The transition from League 1 to Championship may catch out some of their players but if Luke Gale plays regularly they'll always have a chance.

latest odds

Featherstone Rovers – 1/1
Toulouse Olympique – 2/1
Halifax Panthers – 12/1
Keighley Cougars – 14/1
York Knights – 14/1
Bradford Bulls – 16/1
Widnes Vikings – 16/1
Batley Bulldogs – 20/1
Sheffield Eagles – 25/1
Barrow Raiders – 40/1
London Broncos – 66/1