Huddersfield Giants to finish top!

Will Huddersfield finish in top spot?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Will Huddersfield finish in top spot?

11 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

The preview is in and Huddersfield Giants are being touted for the top spot.

Do you believe they can do it?

What say the Giants fans on here?

Which preview? I’d have them 3rd after Saints and 🥧

Edited by Eddie

We have the squad to do it but whether we will is a different matter, the players have come here to work under Watto and GB knowing they are not guaranteed a starting place and are part of a squad and not a team of 13.

I am excited at seeing what this squad can do, we have undoubtedly strength in depth but it's how they all get along and perform.

Hill, Cudjoe and Mcgillvary are absolutely vital to us, off the pitch as much as on it to bring the youngsters through and use their experience.

We are quite capable of finishing top, but so are others, i'm happy to see where this squad takes us before making predictions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

They’ve a shot. Saints might have a slower start than usual with the WCC trip and Wigan have very little depth. Wire are a bit unknown, Catalans start with some injury problems and I’m not convinced Leeds will have enough to challenge for it.

Huddersfield have depth that is almost unheard of in the current salary cap era. I would worry if they quite have the required match winners to turn a potential top spot in to a Grand Final win but they should be really consistent. 

• Like 2

Huddersfield are an obvious contender, as are St Helens, Wigan and Catalans. I'd also throw Salford in as a roughie, with some good luck on the injury front. Warrington and Leeds are other top 4 threats, but I don't see them as having much chance of finishing top. Castleford are possibly in that boat too. All in all, makes for an interesting season!

Edited by ghost crayfish

How can this be?

They have, among their ranks, the single most petulant, none defending, inconsistent grub that ever played the game.

Apparently. 

• Haha 1
With Halloween coming up I decided to go to my local fancy dress shop to see if I could get a Dracula costume. After a few minutes the assistant handed me a Hull KR shirt asking "Is this suitable?", I replied "I think you may have misheard me, I said I wanted to look like a count."

2 hours ago, ghost crayfish said:

Huddersfield are an obvious contender, as are St Helens, Wigan and Catalans. I'd also throw Salford in as a roughie, with some good luck on the injury front. Warrington and Leeds are other top 4 threats, but I don't see them as having much chance of finishing top. Castleford are possibly in that boat too. All in all, makes for an interesting season!

Aren’t Salford already struggling with injuries? 

9 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

How can this be?

They have, among their ranks, the single most petulant, none defending, inconsistent grub that ever played the game.

Apparently. 

You mean the quiet, shy wonderfully talented Jake Connor returning to where he never wanted to leave?

Oh wait a minute that's not the Jake the media want us to believe exists.

6 hours ago, FearTheVee said:

Was interested to look at the Giants squad on the basis of this thread so went to the Giants official website.

Is there a better website that will actually contain the current squad rather than last year's?  🙄

https://www.giantsrl.com/locker-room/first-team

https://www.giantsrl.com/article/8305/giants-announce-2023-squad-numbers

Well, on paper that’s clearly the strongest squad in the league, albeit not the strongest starting 13.

Now we will see whether Watson is as good as we think he is. There are no excuses with a squad like that.

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

Huddersfield Giants to finish top?

I think their squad and coaching set up would justify any Giants fan putting a bob or two down on it right now.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

7 hours ago, Desert Skipper said:

Now we will see whether Watson is as good as we think he is.

I think being at a club where you can afford a squad that strong won't ever be the measure of how good a coach is rather it's how well you can get a side to play and achieve with limited resources.

Didn't Jack Gibson say something like the bigger and better your players the better your coach ?

7 hours ago, Oxford said:

I think being at a club where you can afford a squad that strong won't ever be the measure of how good a coach is rather it's how well you can get a side to play and achieve with limited resources.

Didn't Jack Gibson say something like the bigger and better your players the better your coach ?

I'd love to see how ' Pep ' would go on at Accrington Stanley ? 😉

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

I'd love to see how ' Pep ' would go on at Accrington Stanley ? 😉

When I was interested in coaching, far more than now, Kevin Tamati was in charge at SRD. He sold our most effective player at the time on the grounds he wasn't a playmaker and Tamati hadn't got time to make him into one. That phrase reveals alot about Tamati and his methods but even more about top flight coaching.

Pep .... Accrington 4 minutes 15 seconds after it was discovered he could only coach ready made premiership/international players.