Wigan sign Ryan Hampshire

41 minutes ago, Damien said:

I don't get this signing at all. He shouldn't be near the starting team and I'd prefer to use some of the youngsters as backup.

He's was a very good player, who's career has been spoiled by bad advise. However 'was' is the operative word, he's not played more than a handful of games in 18 month, and had no pre-season, so in that respect its a gamble.

• Like 2

Looks like a poor policy(Warrington have with Russell), sign a former player to cover when younger players should plug that gap, Wigan was renowned for using youngsters to cover giving them valuable experience, maybe times are changing. 

It seems an odd signing to me too. 

Matt Peet says it is because Hampshire can cover multiple positions.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

26 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Maybe he has been signed as an experienced utility backup for the injury-prone existing experienced utility backup, Iain Thornley.

Cheap so not much of a gamble - welcome back Rocky.

41 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

He can....19th man, treatment table, not named in the match day squad, loaned out to championship club.....released.

Multiple positions.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

He's was a very good player, who's career has been spoiled by bad advise. However 'was' is the operative word, he's not played more than a handful of games in 18 month, and had no pre-season, so in that respect its a gamble.

Wakefield signing him for less than he was on after releasing his is proof of that bad advice.

1 hour ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Warrington have with Russell

I only remembered yesterday that we also have Greg Minikin waiting in the wings in a similar role too.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Matty Peet coached him at youth level and maybe wants him as a utility half.

Not in the starting 13 but bench player. Can play 6,7 & 9. Has also played wing. Perhaps opening for a bench place with Cust to 9 and Hampshire in the halves.

Gives Peet more options from the bench.    

15 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

I only remembered yesterday that we also have Greg Minikin waiting in the wings in a similar role too.

Yes and Ashton, Thewlis and Wrench kept him (injuries as well) out. I listen to the reasoning for these type of signing but I would only consider it for props not outside backs were there are plenty of youngsters looking for experience. 

54 minutes ago, Father Ted said:

Matty Peet coached him at youth level and maybe wants him as a utility half.

Not in the starting 13 but bench player. Can play 6,7 & 9. Has also played wing. Perhaps opening for a bench place with Cust to 9 and Hampshire in the halves.

Gives Peet more options from the bench.    

Jesus, surely Wigan have a kid who can play hooker or half that’s got the potential Hampshire once had and isn’t as injury prone as Hampshire?

12 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Ashton, Thewlis and Wrench

I quite liked their song Resurrection Shuffle. :kolobok_wink:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson