Toulouse struggling

1 hour ago, Archie Gordon said:

They need fans. The rest will follow. 

But we need a strong TO. Worrying times.

That’s an unusual jump to make. 

They need not to be paying for apparent elite sports clubs in an apparent elite sport’s competition to fulfil their respective fixture lists. 

Edited by Jughead
  • Like 15
  • Confused 1

I think it's more reasonable for them to pay when they're in the Championship as they've entered into the British system and it's not a rich division.

In Super League though it's madness, from the outset it was Super League Europe. Clubs should have to factor foreign trips into their budgets. It can't be fair for them to have to pay travel (for either themselves or the opposition) for every single fixture they play. 

• Like 13

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

27 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Making them pay for everyone’s travel was so tinnpot. What next, if London went back up making them pay for the other teams’ petrol to get down there? 

Don't forget the ULEZ Charge - £100.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

I think it's more reasonable for them to pay when they're in the Championship as they've entered into the British system and it's not a rich division.

In Super League though it's madness, from the outset it was Super League Europe. Clubs should have to factor foreign trips into their budgets. It can't be fair for them to have to pay travel (for either themselves or the opposition) for every single fixture they play. 

Yes, I think that's not an unreasonable response, personally I'd have a bit of sympathy for them about having to do it in SL even though they knew that was one of their conditions of entry.

I think linking their deficit solely to the travel expenses is a bit disingenouous though seeing they knew all along they'd have to be paying for it. A year ago they were talking about regularly attracting five-figure crowds, and it's only a few months ago that their CEO was talking bullishly about how strong their sponsorship base was.  And we still don't have any confirmed news about a French TV deal do we? Surely those three factors are just as big contributory factors to their current financial situation as the travelling expenses.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

All travel should be paid from central SL funds and budgeted for before any distribution to the clubs. It’s not hard. 

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

I think linking their deficit solely to the travel expenses is a bit disingenouous though seeing they knew all along they'd have to be paying for it. A year ago they were talking about regularly attracting five-figure crowds, and it's only a few months ago that their CEO was talking bullishly about how strong their sponsorship base was.  And we still don't have any confirmed news about a French TV deal do we? Surely those three factors are just as big contributory factors to their current financial situation as the travelling expenses.

Precisely.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Yes, I think that's not an unreasonable response, personally I'd have a bit of sympathy for them about having to do it in SL even though they knew that was one of their conditions of entry.

There will never be a French tv deal with two clubs. Imagine if rugby league was mainly French but there was a pocket of small towns and villages in the Westcountry playing it in an amateur competition in front of 3 figure crowds. Plymouth had been an anomaly, playing in the French league for a number of years and Bristol had been in their lower leagues. Then Bristol got promoted to the top flight. Would there be any chance of a tv deal in this country? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Whippet13 said:

Don't forget the ULEZ Charge - £100.

Toulouse have introduced something similar and the stade falls into the CritAir envelope. Less than 4€. But older cars are gradually being banned, one of ours can't go, the other loses the right the end of this year. New car or the nightmare of P&R from next season. 

• Confused 1

I was watching an online video of a TV programme on ViaOccitaine and unless my French is failing me Bernard Sarrazain said Toulouse's budget this year is 4 million euros. I know they presumably have to run the Elite 1 and U19 teams out of that too as well as the travel costs but it still seems like a fairly decent budget by Championship standards.

Edited by The Phantom Horseman
  • Like 1

I saw Toulouse rugby union play at the weekend on tv.

They had a sell out and it was a great atmosphere.

If they could replicate the whole experience for league it would be a game changer.

Edited by Niels
  • Like 1

I think there is extreme folly in having international sides play in semi-professional British Leagues, but people complained they were getting to Super League unfairly beforehand so ho hum.

In Super League, having them pay the other teams travel expenses was frankly ludicrous and one of those decisions that makes you think the sport deserves what it gets really.

• Like 11

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

I think there is extreme folly in having international sides play in semi-professional British Leagues, but people complained they were getting to Super League unfairly beforehand so ho hum.

In Super League, having them pay the other teams travel expenses was frankly ludicrous and one of those decisions that makes you think the sport deserves what it gets really.

One of the many decisions that makes me think that, Toronto’s exclusion being the worst one. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

Yes, this is very fair. Or would have been...

• Like 1