Hunslet away friendly

Batley Bob

20 hours ago, coolie said:

Batley's worst signing for 20 years 

There's more chance me been fit and doing 60 minutes🤔🤣

You say that, but on Friday, he looked about 2 stone lighter than he was, when I last saw him play. 

I'm not sure he will really need to do 60 mins either. He might be used as an impact man 10-15 mins either side of halftime... Who knows?

Weren't there similar calls from the Dewsbury contingent when we signed Hooley? He didn't work out too badly, if Kibula works out to be as bad as him, I won't be disappointed.

Edited by DOGFATHER
  • Like 2

The lad said in Friday he was well up for it, fit and raring. As far as his time at Dewsbury goes, I'm sure you'd agree Coolie that he wasn't part of a well coached, motivated squad under Greenwood. He'll get his backside kicked up here, Mocko won't stand for it. 

Typical pre season friendly, can't read too much into it, I thought hunslet gave it a good go, referee terrible today, as for our performance thought, reilly gledders and Hirst all had some good stints, kabula not quite sure what to think yet! (still looks heavy to me) As for the rest I thought we looked really disorganised at times, Meadows trying to play a little too much at times for me, room for improvement all round I reckon, hopefully it's blown a few cobwebs off, as we are going to have to be a lot better next week when the real stuff starts! 

Edited by The scrim reaper
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, DOGFATHER said:

You say that, but on Friday, he looked about 2 stone lighter than he was, when I last saw him play. 

I'm not sure he will really need to do 60 mins either. He might be used as an impact man 10-15 mins either side of halftime... Who knows?

Weren't there similar calls from the Dewsbury contingent when we signed Hooley? He didn't work out too badly, if Kibula works out to be as bad as him, I won't be disappointed.

Well we will sit back and see about Mr Kibula🤔

I'm going for🤔

He will not see out the season at Batley🤔

10 hours ago, distantdog said:

Ah well, if that's the case might as well write the season off now then!

TBH think he meant it wasn’t a true reflection of previous Batley performances. A back handed compliment basically. Think we all accept these games are nothing more than warm ups get new combinations going etc. So definitely not a season write off job. Just seemed to be a little lacklustre in terms of effort and application yesterday. Looking forward to seeing how you go again this year. Always liked the club and everything it stands for. Good luck.

• Like 1

On 29/01/2023 at 18:07, coolie said:

Well we will sit back and see about Mr Kibula🤔

I'm going for🤔

He will not see out the season at Batley🤔

You could well be correct, The things in his favour are:

He is still young for a prop.

There isn't much in terms of fan expectation on him, unlike say Wood.

I think most see him as cover, rather than a first choice. We re-signed all of the props that finished last season, and have Hirst and him in addition. If he makes it, great. If he doesn't, we haven't lost anything as we don't look to be reliant on him being in the starting 17. Ultimately, it's down to him to prove he is worth a place in the team. I hope for his sake, he fulfils the potential Wigan saw in him.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, DOGFATHER said:

You could well be correct, The things in his favour are:

He is still young for a prop.

There isn't much in terms of fan expectation on him, unlike say Wood.

I think most see him as cover, rather than a first choice. We re-signed all of the props that finished last season, and have Hirst and him in addition. If he makes it, great. If he doesn't, we haven't lost anything as we don't look to be reliant on him being in the starting 17. Ultimately, it's down to him to prove he is worth a place in the team. I hope for his sake, he fulfils the potential Wigan saw in him.

An interesting response. I thought he spoke well at the Nash on Friday and certainly seemed to be aware that he needs to be proving himself now. I guess that it all depends on what kind of game he is expected to play. I think sometimes his size works against him as we all expect him to be a barnstorming 'break the line' kind of player. I think that Hirst has also suffered from this perception too. However, he may be expected to be that prop who draws in the defenders and plays the ball quickly to create gaps. Who knows? he does have plenty of time on his side though and as with Hirst, perhaps we are the club to create the environment where he can develop.