Clubs Printing Programmes in 2023

• 4 weeks later...

Batley Independent Supporters Squadbuilder Association (BISSA) is producing a programme for the Batley-York Championship/Jo Cox Memorial game on Sunday (4/6). On sale - £3 - from the BISSA stall and around the ground. Entry to the game is free.

Can anybody confirm please, which NCL clubs are still producing printed match programmes at home games this season. I know that Leigh East, Leigh Miners Rangers and Pilkingtons are. I like to go to different grounds each week but don't want to waste my time travelling to grounds that don't have a programme?

Thank you.

5 hours ago, Celtic Roosters said:

Can anybody confirm please, which NCL clubs are still producing printed match programmes at home games this season. I know that Leigh East, Leigh Miners Rangers and Pilkingtons are. I like to go to different grounds each week but don't want to waste my time travelling to grounds that don't have a programme?

Thank you.

Waste of time? There is some fantastic rugby being played in the NCL premier this season. The battle at the top is marvellous. I wouldnt let the lack of a match programme, as disappointing to me as it is to you, stop you being part of this.

I've got nearly 10,000 RL programmes Anita. I've been watching NCL/BARLA National League matches since it started in 1986. I'm a traditionalist though. I won't go to a ground where I can't get a programme. If anybody can confirm which clubs are still producing match programmes this season that would be really helpful. Thanks in advance.

I suspect you will be attending far fewer games over the coming years….the digital age is upon us much as you and I might not like it.

I have a programme collection of similar size going back to the 1930s. With neither of my kids interested and age creeping up I need to seriously think about selling. My good lady would simply put them in the recycling should I croak before she does …which she continually tells me I will if she has anything to do with it😊

You will understand I eat a lot of takeaways now!

LOL. As soon as I "kick the bucket" I'm sure my wife will have a bonfire with all my programmes, but, as long as I'm here I will only go to grounds that sell programmes. If they all stop selling them I won't go to any games. I am that bloody minded. My oldest programme is 1933. I still pay my bills in cash at the bank (much to the bank tellers annoyance) and I refuse to use self service tills at the supermarket check out as well!

On 01/06/2023 at 22:33, Celtic Roosters said:

I've got nearly 10,000 RL programmes Anita. I've been watching NCL/BARLA National League matches since it started in 1986. I'm a traditionalist though. I won't go to a ground where I can't get a programme. If anybody can confirm which clubs are still producing match programmes this season that would be really helpful. Thanks in advance.

Do Bramley still play at Stanningley ARLFC Cliff? Thanks Hopping Mad, but I'm not interested in digital programmes - that's the same as no programme to me mate. Rochdale Mayfield don't have a programme by the way. What about Wigan St. Patricks? I'm thinking of going there this Saturday.

17 hours ago, Hopping Mad said:

To collate what I think we know, as of 6/6 (any help filling the blanks and/or corrections appreciated):

Super League

Printed programme: Catalans (supporter-produced, unofficial eight-pager), Leeds (£3), Leigh (£5 season-opener then £3.50), Warrington (£3, £59.99 season subscription - each through Ignition Sports Media's website), Wigan (£4).

Printed monthly magazine: Castleford (£2), Wakefield (£3).

Digital programme: St Helens (free, via website), Warrington (free), Wigan (£3).

Printed teamsheet: Salford (price n/k).

Nothing: Catalans (official), Huddersfield, Hull, Hull KR.

Championship

Printed programme: Barrow (£2), Batley (£3, games against Bradford, Featherstone, Halifax and Keighley only), Keighley (£3), Sheffield (£3), Swinton (£3), Toulouse (price n/k), York (£3).

Printed monthly magazine: Widnes (£3, 'matchday supplement', £1, also available).

Digital programme: Bradford (free), Newcastle (free), Toulouse (free).

Printed teamsheet: Bradford (free), London Broncos (free, limited number available from the bar at the Plough Lane end of the ground).

Nothing: Featherstone, Halifax, Whitehaven.

League One

Printed programme: North Wales, Rochdale (£3).

Printed teamsheet: Dewsbury (price n/k), Doncaster (free), Hunslet (price n/k), Midlands (free).

Printed 'season guide': Doncaster (£5).

Digital programme: Cornwall (free, via website), London Skolars (free to match ticket-holders, £25 season subscription), Oldham (free, via website).

Nothing: Workington.

Amateurs

Challenge Cup

Printed programme: Heworth (£1), Leigh MR (£3, w/a), Orrell St James (£2), RAF (free), Stanningley (£3, w/a), Westgate Common (£2).

Digital programme: Hunslet ARLFC (free), Thatto Heath (free).

Nothing: Hull Dockers.

Others TBC.

National Conference League (programme no longer mandatory)

Printed programme: Clock Face (price n/k, w/a), Dewsbury Moor (£2.50, w/a), Egremont (£3, w/a), Ellenborough (£3, w/a), Heworth (£1), Hunslet ARLFC (£2, limited number), Leigh East (price n/k), Leigh MR (£3, w/a), Millom (price n/k), Pilkington (£3, w/a), Stanningley (£3, w/a), Thornhill (£2), West Bowling (price n/k, w/a).

Digital programme: Crosfields (free), Egremont (free, available post-match), Hunslet ARLFC (free), Normanton (free), Oulton (free), Thatto Heath (free), Woolston (free).

Nothing: Barrow Island, Beverley, Drighlington, Hull Dockers, Myton, Skirlaugh, Waterhead.

Others TBC (no response, to programme query, from either Rochdale Mayfield or Siddal therefore assume nothing on offer).

Featherstone do a free team sheet but sadly that's it.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Celtic Roosters said:

Do Bramley still play at Stanningley ARLFC Cliff? Thanks Hopping Mad, but I'm not interested in digital programmes - that's the same as no programme to me mate. Rochdale Mayfield don't have a programme by the way. What about Wigan St. Patricks? I'm thinking of going there this Saturday.

Why not email WSP directly (and share your findings!)?

We are ad idem when it comes to digital programmes. As a practical item on matchday, they're useless.

Edited by Hopping Mad

1 hour ago, Hopping Mad said:

Why not email WSP directly (and share your findings!)?

We are ad idem when it comes to digital programmes. As a practical item on matchday, they're useless.

Agree on digital programmes….and while I will often spend hours going through old programmes I never do this with digital…A large part of the games history and culture has been taken away.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Anita Bath said:

Agree on digital programmes….and while I will often spend hours going through old programmes I never do this with digital…A large part of the games history and culture has been taken away.

That's what got me supporting Featherstone 52 years ago programmes. Shame they don't do them i still enjoy reading any clubs that have them ,was always part of the match day experience imo.

• Like 1

Woolston Rovers programme is online only, so I won't be  going there again. Fevrover - I have 67 Featherstone Rovers programmes from 1964 to 2014. Post office road was the second RL ground I ever went to, and I am from Salford! The first was Leeds (Headingley). I have 25 Featherstone Lions programmes going back to 1996. Amateur RL is my passion.

• Like 2

Good to know that Hopping Mad. Ellenborough is one of the very few amateur RL grounds I have never been to. It's a long drive from Salford though so, I will most likely contact them to be certain before I travel as some clubs seem to do them for certain games but not others. I have a few Ipswich Rhinos programmes (now Eastern Rhinos) from games I went to but they didn't always have them.

On 13/06/2023 at 09:10, Celtic Roosters said:

Good to know that Hopping Mad. Ellenborough is one of the very few amateur RL grounds I have never been to. It's a long drive from Salford though so, I will most likely contact them to be certain before I travel as some clubs seem to do them for certain games but not others. I have a few Ipswich Rhinos programmes (now Eastern Rhinos) from games I went to but they didn't always have them.

Strangely, the Ellenborough ground used to be Glasson's. They swapped. It's better than most amateur rugby league grounds simply because it has a stand.

18 hours ago, Hopping Mad said:

Strangely, the Ellenborough ground used to be Glasson's. They swapped. It's better than most amateur rugby league grounds simply because it has a stand.

I didn't know that? Must get up there soon, maybe combine it with my other passion - hiking. I know that Egremont and Dudley Hill have covered standing. Mayfield have covered standing and seating. Woolston Rovers had a stand until they moved grounds. A lot of the grounds in the RFL Conference have covered stands but that is because they play at RU grounds normally.