2023 Season Expectations

Dog forever

We are not good enough for the play offs poor recruitment this year too many.players that have over achieved year after year feel long season a head. Hope to be proved wrong but the level of recruitment by teams below us last year is far better than ours   I think father time going to catch up with the squad this year 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

repent repent...........The End is Nigh 

• Haha 2
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine" ....Abraham Lincoln 1809-1865..

11 hours ago, distantdog said:

Confident of what? What are the expectations for this season? Play-offs? Same as last season? 

Expectations are that we build on what we achieved last season, but looking around at other teams recruitment we seem to have been poor in ours. We have a sterner test on Sunday so let's see how we go. We should be competing with London and hopefully coming away with a win. After 2 dismal friendlies when players should be vying for a place in the squad its been very poor performances. 

4 hours ago, Dog forever said:

Expectations are that we build on what we achieved last season, but looking around at other teams recruitment we seem to have been poor in ours. We have a sterner test on Sunday so let's see how we go. We should be competing with London and hopefully coming away with a win. After 2 dismal friendlies when players should be vying for a place in the squad its been very poor performances. 

If we build on last season , we will be preparing for our first season in super league in a years time 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

IMG_0583.JPG

For me, I think consolidation should be the aim and this would include making the play-offs again. If that is achieved, then anything is possible, as last season proved. It irks me slightly that despite our past performances, we rarely seem to be mentioned as contenders for the top 6, so for me, that is the aim.

It's papers and media that target the progress of clubs who are continually on the 'should they be in Super League' kick i e Bradford, London as IMG seem so keen to have their signature clubs. I think we were asking these same  questions this time last year when we were 'flash in the pan' fodder having reached the semis! For those who think I never have anything good to say; this will be Jimmy Meadows' season, he's really kicking on, if we can keep McGowan, if Kibula comes on as he promised on Friday night and the rest are still up to the challenge then we can make the 6. Sunday is a must win though to set the season off and really keep the confidence up. We don't want a 14 hour day and nothing to talk about on the way back!

• Like 1

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

It will take people an hour to get to the bar in Ron's lounge the wall up the short flight of stairs as been papered with all the Heritage Players names and numbers.

I was up there this morning and people were busy painting other walls in the boardroom. 

1 hour ago, toffeedog said:

Well after reading linbers artical I see why recruitment wasn't the best as we had a lower budget than year before. I'm struggling to understand how we get to a grandfinal yet have less money for players than the year before when we didn't  

Could it be that other expenses (electricity bills, etc) are significantly more this year and the club need to cover those before allocating funds for recruiting players?

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, toffeedog said:

I understand that point you make but shouldn't be a smaller budget on the playing side to me this shouldn't happen we want to build on last year don't cut the playing budget show the fans we want to kick on . 

Players will still want paying more money I know 3 players we spoke to wanted twice as much money due to the cost of living and us making the final 

21 hours ago, toffeedog said:

I understand that point you make but shouldn't be a smaller budget on the playing side to me this shouldn't happen we want to build on last year don't cut the playing budget show the fans we want to kick on . 

They still need a stadium to play in.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

From Matt Shaw

7 Batley Bulldogs
Truthfully, my head tells me to have Batley lower down the table after the losses of Luke Hooley and Tom Gilmore, both of whom were massive players in the club's success over the last two seasons. But I daren't go lower than this because time and time again they have proven everyone wrong and why should this year be any different? Craig Lingard will be deserving of freedom to the town if they can make another final but they'll still be tough opponents.

• Like 1

latest odds

Featherstone Rovers – 1/1
Toulouse Olympique – 2/1
Halifax Panthers – 12/1
Keighley Cougars – 14/1
York Knights – 14/1
Bradford Bulls – 16/1
Widnes Vikings – 16/1
Batley Bulldogs – 20/1
Sheffield Eagles – 25/1
Barrow Raiders – 40/1
London Broncos – 66/1
Newcastle Thunder – 80/1
Swinton Lions – 100/1
Whitehaven – 150/1

41 minutes ago, POR said:

latest odds

Featherstone Rovers – 1/1
Toulouse Olympique – 2/1
Halifax Panthers – 12/1
Keighley Cougars – 14/1
York Knights – 14/1
Bradford Bulls – 16/1
Widnes Vikings – 16/1
Batley Bulldogs – 20/1
Sheffield Eagles – 25/1
Barrow Raiders – 40/1
London Broncos – 66/1
Newcastle Thunder – 80/1
Swinton Lions – 100/1
Whitehaven – 150/1

How do they compare to the odds at the beginning of last season?

SIGNATURE

43 minutes ago, BatleyFanAndy said:

How do they compare to the odds at the beginning of last season?

eatherstone Rovers: 6/5

Leigh Centurions: 2/1

Halifax Panthers: 10/1

York City Knights: 12/1

Bradford Bulls: 14/1

Newcastle Thunder: 16/1

Widnes Vikings: 20/1

London Broncos: 25/1

Batley Bulldogs: 40/1

Whitehaven: 66/1

Dewsbury Rams: 80/1

Barrow Raiders: 100/1