Viaplay Championship coverage

Tubby

On 30/01/2023 at 16:55, Dave T said:

To further quantify it - £15 per month for a maximum of 8-10hrs content is expensive when I look at c£30 for Sky Sports with maybe up to 100hrs per month. 

My view would be that Sky Sports is undervalued if you are a sports fan.

a 5 day test easily covers the cost for me and some.

On 30/01/2023 at 17:42, Ragingbull said:

Great point if the season finishes in June, but just to let you know, it finishes in October so its actually a pretty terrible point.

Might cost a bit more then. Big deal.

1 hour ago, Leonard said:

I pay £20 a month on NOW.

Never paid full price - when you go to cancel they always offer you 6 months odd at £20 a month.

Yup, and that brings us back to the original point - full price at £15 for viaplay is steep. But I appreciate that they probably can't make money by charging less as they are pretty niche. 

My view would be that Sky Sports is undervalued if you are a sports fan.

I think where Sky come in is that I expect it is a small number of people that subscribe to Sports only. I know people love to go down the route of criticising TV saying its not as good as the olden days, but we really do have some superb stuff available to us. 

My main issue, and I understand the principle, is that the regulatory bodies in the UK have cost consumers a lot of money for the same content. Nowadays you really do have to pay for Sky, BT, Netflix, Disney, Prime etc for what you used to just get with Sky. 

I think niche channels like Viaplay are gonna struggle in that environment. 

Since working from home, I find having cricket on in the background a really enjoyable and relaxing addition to the day. 

I've always enjoyed cricket, but I enjoy it much more now. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, JonM said:

Many clubs had far higher attendances for the monday night games than they would have had on Sunday. I remember there being over 2500 for Dewsbury v Widnes in Feb and 1800+ for thunder Vs Widnes.

Now in both cases those clubs did promotions and offers that might have cost money, or maybe would have worked just as well on a Sunday, but it's not obvious that Monday nights actually cost clubs gate money in 2022.

No , it's not obvious , just probable 

As you put , they did promotions ( free or heavily discounted tickets ) which might well have resulted in a bigger attendance for that one particular game , but most likely lower income 

46 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Since working from home, I find having cricket on in the background a really enjoyable and relaxing addition to the day. 

I've always enjoyed cricket, but I enjoy it much more now. 

Couldn't agree more. Got really into cricket since working from home, it's made for it!

Incidentally, I checked Viaplay in the US and even though it's only $4.99 per month, you can only get it through Roku or Xfiniti.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

14 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

So it's probably the same , obviously we don't get it from SKY , because we weren't on SKY 

But we were, for a short period of time, remember.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

I've just ordered today and got viaplay for £10.25 a month and can cancel without any penalty giving 30 days notice. I'm on Virgin's lowest package, Mix, and with that got viaplay 3 for nowt which has championship games repeated 1/2 days later. So i'm paying £2.56 a week. Not too bad! 👍🏉

put youtube on last night - viaplay were showing the premier league darts live and all matches  in full and for free - wonder if they will do this with any RL?

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

13 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

put youtube on last night - viaplay were showing the premier league darts live and all matches  in full and for free - wonder if they will do this with any RL?

They have done before now. No reason to believe they won't again.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

32 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

I don't know about Viaplay, but The Sportsman have announced they will be showing Rugby League on their YouTube channel again this season.

Currently, we have the BBC, Sky, Viaplay, Channel 4, The Sportsman, OurLeague, Via Occitanie and Sport en France showing live action from the various European competitions.

And that's before we get on to the clubs who run their own streams on YouTube, Facebook, Twitch etc., plus services here and there showing the occasional international on a one-off basis.

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

4 hours ago, Futtocks said:

I don't know about Viaplay, but The Sportsman have announced they will be showing Rugby League on their YouTube channel again this season.

Currently, we have the BBC, Sky, Viaplay, Channel 4, The Sportsman, OurLeague, Via Occitanie and Sport en France showing live action from the various European competitions.

And that's before we get on to the clubs who run their own streams on YouTube, Facebook, Twitch etc., plus services here and there showing the occasional international on a one-off basis.

https://www.thesportsman.com/articles/the-sportsman-s-live-rugby-league-coverage-returns-with-wigan-challenge-cup-derby

St Pat's v Rose Bridge on 11th Feb should be a cracker

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tubby said:

Just out of interest.  The Keighley v Featherstone game was repeated on Tuesday night at 7:30 on Viaplay Xtra (?), their free to air channel on Sky.

Thanks for this - Round 2 York v Bradford is scheduled for Tuesday at 8pm:

Viaplay Xtra HD TV Listings - TVGuide.co.uk

Sky Channel 422

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Works out at £12pm for the remaining c5 months of this season.

https://viaplay.com/gb-en/?gclsrc=aw.ds&gclid=CjwKCAjwl6OiBhA2EiwAuUwWZegjFPyXzWXlWCJj9KkafHU2AixXHSCJb0HiR64wpqAozK6eZfpJaBoC6DIQAvD_BwE

Personally not interested as they seem to have cut back RL coverage, can't be bothered listing RL Championship on the advert and there is no sign of them renewing coverage for 2024.

Decent enough deal if anyone is interested in the other sports though.

• Like 2