Dolphin Watch!!

Excited to see how the Dolphins get on in their first season. With Wayne Bennett at the helm I see them doing better than people think. 

The latest exciting news is that they've given 4 players from the PNG Hunters a 'Train and Trial' opportunity with the club which is great for the lads from PNG. Let's hope they can make the most of their opportunity and best of luck to the Dolphins.

https://www.qrl.com.au/news/2023/01/13/hunters-players-earn-pre-season-opportunity-with-dolphins-nrl-squad/ 

• Like 8

10 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

Excited to see how the Dolphins get on in their first season. With Wayne Bennett at the helm I see them doing better than people think. 

The latest exciting news is that they've given 4 players from the PNG Hunters a 'Train and Trial' opportunity with the club which is great for the lads from PNG. Let's hope they can make the most of their opportunity and best of luck to the Dolphins.

https://www.qrl.com.au/news/2023/01/13/hunters-players-earn-pre-season-opportunity-with-dolphins-nrl-squad/ 

That’s pretty cool 

• Like 1

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

19 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

It`s certainly exciting to see a new team in the competition and already the sparks are flying between them and the Broncos with shots being fired almost weekly, it`s going to be a real grudge match.

And what with their off-field assets they are going to be one of the wealthiest clubs in the NRL and it seems like a new sponsor is being announced every other week, I believe they`ve passed the $10m sponsorship mark already. There seems to be a lot of folk in and around Brisbane who are looking for a team to back that isn`t the Broncos. 

It seems a lot of pundits are expecting the Dolphins to finish somewhere between 9 -12 this year and that would be satisfactory but I don`t think that anyone doubts that they will be a regular top 8 team given their resources.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

It`s certainly exciting to see a new team in the competition and already the sparks are flying between them and the Broncos with shots being fired almost weekly, it`s going to be a real grudge match.

And what with their off-field assets they are going to be one of the wealthiest clubs in the NRL and it seems like a new sponsor is being announced every other week, I believe they`ve passed the $10m sponsorship mark already. There seems to be a lot of folk in and around Brisbane who are looking for a team to back that isn`t the Broncos. 

It seems a lot of pundits are expecting the Dolphins to finish somewhere between 9 -12 this year and that would be satisfactory but I don`t think that anyone doubts that they will be a regular top 8 team given their resources.

Now that is how you're supposed to launch a new team. SL take note.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The Rocket said:

With the roster they have constructed I personally can’t see them finishing any higher than the bottom 4 initially (which is fine by the way).

But it’s great that there is a 2nd team in Brisbane creating that rivalry the game thrives on. Hopefully the Dolphins will have similar style rivalries with the Titans and Cowboys.

Off the field financially all sounds very positive!

• Like 2

Managed to slip a 1 night stopover in Brisbane which just happens to coincide with the Dolphins/Broncos game (we’ll that’s what the wife thinks),so just waiting for tickets to go on sale,should be a cracking night with hopefully a competitive Dolphins side turning over the Broncos.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I got a lot of family around Brisbane. (Ipswich) and over the years I've kept an eye on the NRL but never backed a team. It would be too easy to go broncos, so new team with no attached baggage. 

I'm going in on the dolphins as my team.

• Like 2

There is certainly something exciting about the admittance of a new team to the competition. It will be interesting to see just how many fans they get and how much the not everyone in Brisbane supports Brisbane talk holds true.

Another well supported and well funded club can only be good for the NRL and can only strengthen RL in Queensland even more. I really hope they can be reasonably competitive in their first year and avoid too many heavy losses. I think finishing outside the bottom 4 has to be viewed as success.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, The Daddy said:

Can any of the resident queenslanders provide an on the ground update?

Is there a buzz around Brisbane? Are they selling memberships and tickets?

I'm a Queenslander but it's a big state.

• Haha 1

new rise.jpg

I live between Redcliffe and Brisbane, and so far I'd say there's very little buzz, certainly not in Brisbane. We're still early days yet, and it will be interesting to see how crowds go. I personally want to go to games in Redcliffe, as we go a few times a year to watch the Broncos, but the traffic round there is horrible even for NSW Cup games so not sure how best to do it... 

2 hours ago, DACS said:

I live between Redcliffe and Brisbane, and so far I'd say there's very little buzz, certainly not in Brisbane. We're still early days yet, and it will be interesting to see how crowds go. I personally want to go to games in Redcliffe, as we go a few times a year to watch the Broncos, but the traffic round there is horrible even for NSW Cup games so not sure how best to do it... 

Do they have many NSW Cup games in Brisbane?

4 hours ago, rlno1 said:

Surely they aren't going to be just called the Dolphins? Don't see anything wrong with being called Redcliffe Dolphins.

Possibly a commercial decision to keep the pro and amateurs clubs separate for tax and accounting purposes 

On 31/01/2023 at 09:10, Damien said:

There is certainly something exciting about the admittance of a new team to the competition.

Unless it's Super League and they can't see the M62 from their ground.

• Haha 1

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"