Women's National Pyramid

On the face of it this all seems pretty good and sensible. I like the 4 regional leagues sitting below the Women's Super League and then local competitions below that:

The new national pyramid for the women’s game to come in to place for 2024 has been revealed, giving clubs in the south the chance to reach the Women’s Super League.

It comes as part of the ongoing strategy to grow the women’s game, which continues in earnest following the Women’s World Cup at the end of last year.

As has been previously reported, the Women’s Super League will comprise of eight teams in 2024, with a regional structure sitting underneath.

That top tier will consist of the six teams in group 1 of the Women’s Super League in 2023 – Huddersfield, Leeds, St Helens, Warrington, Wigan, York.

The teams in group 2 this year will fight for two promotion spots to join them, with the first placed team going up automatically and then another spot up for grabs via the play-offs. Barrow, Bradford, Castleford, Featherstone, Leigh and Salford are the teams in that competition.

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/womens-national-pyramid-revealed-rfl/

• Like 5

Nice spread of teams in the tier below Super League reading that article.

Giving guaranteed playoff spots to three areas outside that designated ‘Roses’ should encourage investment and opportunity.

Hope it leads to greater media exposure as a result and sponsorship for the women’s game going forwards as well as pushing up standards.

Sensible too to have minimum standards so teams don’t enter the more elite level before they are ready.

• Like 3

While this is all super positive, I do wonder how it will play out with the requirements of a (men's) Super League club needing to have a Women’s Super League team to gain a category A licence.

What it probably means is that the infrastructure, player development and coaching setups (and money) at the Super League clubs will produce by far the strongest Women's teams and this means that the Women's and Men's competitions will be a mirror of each other.

This is a bit of a pity as it would be nice to have seen non traditional clubs climbing the pyramid to the top tier.

Edited by Dunbar
  • Like 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

14 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

While this is all super positive, I do wonder how it will play out with the requirements of a (men's) Super League club needing to have a Women’s Super League team to gain a category A licence.

This has been mentioned once in one blog post. There is nothing official about it.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

This has been mentioned once in one blog post. There is nothing official about it.

ok, but it would still be a common sense development plan for a professional club to develop their Women's team anyway.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Maybe I'm missing something in the article, but how exactly can a club in WSL South qualify for the new WSL Top Tier, as promised in the opening paragraph?

If the new WSL will only have 8 teams, with 6 coming from pool 1 (all northern teams) and 2 from pool 2 (again all northern teams), I don't see how the likes of Cardiff or London can qualify?

Overall I like the pyramid concept, but it certainly needs some representation outside of the heartlands.  Unlike the Men's game, where we struggle to compete for the top 'rugby' talent outside of the heartlands, that issue isn't yet as prominent for yet in the Women's and we should be trying to take advantage of that.

• Like 1

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

11 minutes ago, Yakstorm said:

Maybe I'm missing something in the article, but how exactly can a club in WSL South qualify for the new WSL Top Tier, as promised in the opening paragraph?

If the new WSL will only have 8 teams, with 6 coming from pool 1 (all northern teams) and 2 from pool 2 (again all northern teams), I don't see how the likes of Cardiff or London can qualify?

Overall I like the pyramid concept, but it certainly needs some representation outside of the heartlands.  Unlike the Men's game, where we struggle to compete for the top 'rugby' talent outside of the heartlands, that issue isn't yet as prominent for yet in the Women's and we should be trying to take advantage of that.

The way I read it Cardiff and London won't be able to qualify for the 2024 WSL, but will be able to enter in 2025 via promotion playoffs between the new regional leagues winners. 

I reckon that's ok. My expectation is the very top tier of teams is really going to accelerate their playing level in the next 18 months, so a 2-year pathway for other emerging teams to reach that level seems reasonable.    

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

The way I read it Cardiff and London won't be able to qualify for the 2024 WSL, but will be able to enter in 2025 via promotion playoffs between the new regional leagues winners. 

I reckon that's ok. My expectation is the very top tier of teams is really going to accelerate their playing level in the next 18 months, so a 2-year pathway for other emerging teams to reach that level seems reasonable.    

Exactly. Once the system is in place there is a clear pathway.

The optimist in me would also like to think that 8 teams for the Women's Super League is just the initial goal too. As teams strengthen this should increase to 10 and then 12 and hopefully these additions can then come from the regions with no representation.

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Dunbar said:

ok, but it would still be a common sense development plan for a professional club to develop their Women's team anyway.

yes thats absolutely how it should be.

Equally, perhaps with this pathway there is also an argument that for expansion you would get more "bang for your buck" in investing in the womens game so potentially we may see some of the teams from outside the heartlands developing, which may have a positive impact on any of the mens teams that may then be able to associate themselves with a growing womens game. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, RP London said:

yes thats absolutely how it should be.

Equally, perhaps with this pathway there is also an argument that for expansion you would get more "bang for your buck" in investing in the womens game so potentially we may see some of the teams from outside the heartlands developing, which may have a positive impact on any of the mens teams that may then be able to associate themselves with a growing womens game. 

I've made this point many times before too. The easiest and cheapest way to expand the game's footprint is through the women's and wheelchair games. The barriers to entry are so much lower than the men's game and these forms of the game do not face the same prejudice.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Toby Chopra said:

Wales Rugby League seem to be focusing a lot on the women's game - and have their focus through the Cardiff side - so there's a decent chance they should be ready for the top tier in a couple of years.

• Like 5

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

24 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Wales Rugby League seem to be focusing a lot on the women's game - and have their focus through the Cardiff side - so there's a decent chance they should be ready for the top tier in a couple of years.

they better get a mens team up to speed so they can do some double headers then... :kolobok_ph34r:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Yakstorm said:

I think it starts in 2024

14 hours ago, Dunbar said:

What it probably means is that the infrastructure, player development and coaching setups (and money) at the Super League clubs will produce by far the strongest Women's teams and this means that the Women's and Men's competitions will be a mirror of each other.

This is a bit of a pity as it would be nice to have seen non traditional clubs climbing the pyramid to the top tier.

That is exactly what @GUBRATSwas saying in the IMG thread, but he got chastised for it.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Damien said:

On the face of it this all seems pretty good and sensible. I like the 4 regional leagues sitting below the Women's Super League and then local competitions below that:

The new national pyramid for the women’s game to come in to place for 2024 has been revealed, giving clubs in the south the chance to reach the Women’s Super League.

It comes as part of the ongoing strategy to grow the women’s game, which continues in earnest following the Women’s World Cup at the end of last year.

As has been previously reported, the Women’s Super League will comprise of eight teams in 2024, with a regional structure sitting underneath.

That top tier will consist of the six teams in group 1 of the Women’s Super League in 2023 – Huddersfield, Leeds, St Helens, Warrington, Wigan, York.

The teams in group 2 this year will fight for two promotion spots to join them, with the first placed team going up automatically and then another spot up for grabs via the play-offs. Barrow, Bradford, Castleford, Featherstone, Leigh and Salford are the teams in that competition.

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/womens-national-pyramid-revealed-rfl/

I see that both Hull clubs and Wakefield from these shores are missing from the SL teams who have involvement in the Women's game, why is that I wonder? 

Just now, Harry Stottle said:

I see that both Hull clubs and Wakefield from these shores are missing from the SL teams who have involvement in the Women's game, why is that I wonder? 

All three sides run women's teams.

1 hour ago, RP London said:

they better get a mens team up to speed so they can do some double headers then... :kolobok_ph34r:

I don't really get the double headers.  Two for the price of one for the spectator but just extra costs for the clubs.  If the women's game is to be commercially successful and women are to get some wages, they need to be aiming to have their own stand-alone games, taking their own gate money and with their own sponsorships.  All that might come to pass one day but we seem a long way off from that at the moment.

• Like 3

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

11 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

All three sides run women's teams.

Thanks, but apparently not in the top two divisions according to the list published by the OP. Now you say it I seem to recall Leigh Miners Ladies - which as you probably know has decamped to Leigh Leopards - playing Wakefield last season.

14 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Both Hull teams play in the Womens Championship

2 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Thanks, but apparently not in the top two divisions according to the list published by the OP. Now you say it I seem to recall Leigh Miners Ladies - which as you probably know has decamped to Leigh Leopards - playing Wakefield last season.

I think Hull FC have been higher up but dropped back? Really not sure.

Either way, this pyramid looks an important and useful step forward.

And nobody has any evidence of a requirement of a men's SL A grade being a women's team with a Super League place.

• Like 2