Mon 6 Feb: Keighley Cougars v Featherstone Rovers KO 19:45 (Viaplay)

Who will win?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Keighley Cougars
    • Featherstone Rovers 

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/02/23 at 20:15

I went to the game as a neutral. Cougars put in a huge effort for the first ten minutes but then were beaten by a faster, stronger, fitter and more skillful side. They desperately need some size and punch in the pack or they have wasted all the money they are paying Luke Gale, who was anonymous in attack and incompetent on defense. Chisholm was incompetent at both. Rovers looked good across the park, although it will be interesting to see how Dean and Ford cope if the pack are not so dominant. Tonight they looked like a very good combination.

3 hours ago, Spotty Herbert said:

I went to the game as a neutral. Cougars put in a huge effort for the first ten minutes but then were beaten by a faster, stronger, fitter and more skillful side. They desperately need some size and punch in the pack or they have wasted all the money they are paying Luke Gale, who was anonymous in attack and incompetent on defense. Chisholm was incompetent at both. Rovers looked good across the park, although it will be interesting to see how Dean and Ford cope if the pack are not so dominant. Tonight they looked like a very good combination.

No offence to gale or Chisholm they couldn’t do anything behind that Keighley pack they hardly ever had the front foot… they need a better pack if not they’ll struggle most weeks against the established teams such as Batley York Widnes etc 

fev looked better than last year but just remember you don’t win the league in February 😉

round 2 could be another exciting weekend as York vs bulls fev vs bulls and Widnes vs cougars are expected to be great games but Batley vs Swinton could be a cracker of a game 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, StandOffHalf said:

I'd heard of ViaPlay, but I just assumed they'd carry the same content and continue as Premier 1 and 2 here in Ireland. Neither of the Premier Sports channels carried the game here in Ireland tonight.

They have multiple channels, some using the Viaplay branding, others keeping the Premier Sports branding. Not all of which are available on all broadcast platforms, and there's differences between what the channels are showing in different territories. Confusing. All of the channels are available on their website and app though.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Keep The Faith said:

No offence to gale or Chisholm they couldn’t do anything behind that Keighley pack they hardly ever had the front foot… they need a better pack if not they’ll struggle most weeks against the established teams such as Batley York Widnes etc 

fev looked better than last year but just remember you don’t win the league in February 😉

round 2 could be another exciting weekend as York vs bulls fev vs bulls and Widnes vs cougars are expected to be great games but Batley vs Swinton could be a cracker of a game 

Fev v Fax lol,slip of the hand. Two good games there can't see Keighley troubling Widnes.

• Like 1

Congratulations to Fev. A very prodessional perfomance. Two key areas where Fev were excellant were slowing the play of the ball down (legally) and their line speed defence (both connected). This gave the Cougars no time with the ball and forced mistakes. Consequently much of the game was played in the Cougars half. When Fev had possession they were fast and organised.

I really didm't expect to win this game but hoped it would be a lot closer. 

It's all about our reaction now. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Derwent said:

Superb sh!thousery….

Then they wonder why no-one likes them.

• Haha 1

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Fev looked good no doubt about that but maybe Keighley have been a bit over hyped after watching that. Yes they have made some very good signings on paper but the Championship is a class division and its a huge step up for some of the Keighley lads if they are thinking they maybe there or there abouts the playoffs.

Fev's pack will dominate most teams in most games so that was no real surprise but Keighley's pack looked painfully under sized and they look like they may struggle against a lot of teams which, like a few posters said above, just means Gale and Chisolm are going to struggle too. 

I also thought to me the commentators over played the "Credit to Keighley for not giving up" card a bit too much. I thought after about the 3rd Fev try their body language was awful and that thumping was on the cards very eary on and I think it was only Fev pushing it a bit too much and a bit of rustyness that kept the score away from 70 or 80.

All in all its probably a big wake up call for Keighley but their season won't be decided by games against Fev so they can pretty much forget about last night as no team around them is likely to pick up points from that match either. For Fev its a potentially tricky game out of the way and they were able to cruise in to what should be one of their toughest matches of the season next week.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Ragingbull said:

About as much class from the club as you  from many of their supporters.  Doesnt suprise me in the slightest

Welcome to social media in 2023. You'll notice this is the new modus operandi for sports team social media accounts. Engagement is preferred over being liked. Not really worth getting upset over.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ragingbull said:

About as much class from the club as you  from many of their supporters.  Doesnt suprise me in the slightest

Fantastic engagement numbers on Fev's social media. I believe it's one of the metrics IMG are very interested in.

It's not unusual among sport teams and even some businesses. Eyeballs on the social account is what's important. If fans of other clubs get upset, that's on them.

Edited by David Shepherd
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Ragingbull said:

DEARY ME it's all a bit of fun on that social media thingy any way if you didn't like that you will hate this :kolobok_grin:

Edited by POR
  • Haha 4

Sh*tposting for clicks is the new normal. It's not so long ago that club social media accounts were being pulled up about posting the mildest criticism. Now it's the norm.

I think people have got the wrong end of the stick when it comes to Twitter. It's almost like they think it's the club chairman or the coach who's sat there tweeting via a club's official account. 

Below SL, it's often just a fan/unpaid volunteer who's doing it and sometimes they get carried away in the euphoria of a moment and forget who they're posting in the name of.

It's a media outlet and this is one area where clubs really should be acting professionally. 

By all means big up your own team, but when you venture into the realms of taunting a beaten team and its fans, you've crossed a line imo.

(That's the fans' job. Club spokespeople need to be show a bit more class)

Edited by Dave W
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Fevrover said:

Grow up, NOT ALL Fev are like this and don't even agree with it. Don't tar us all with same brush.

It's either a "bit of banter" (in which case so was mine) or you should be compaining to the club rather than me.

Obviously not everyone is the same but that's the club's official account, and that's the "they" I meant, not the fans. Perhaps someone there needs to grow up.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"