There’s Nothing Like League

"There's nothing like league", quite in keeping with the "I love league me" from the C4 coverage with Adam Hills, another IMG production. Bit of joined up thinking who'd have thought. 

• Like 1

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

Just now, Damien said:

Very unimaginative and cheap looking.

It's also very noticeable that they don't use the word Rugby. League is such a poor term to try and sell a sport.

So much for the brave new IMG world.

I think the word Rugby is by most metrics a problem for the sport commercially now. As much as we think it means "the good one", for most people and businesses, if they even know there is a difference, it denotes "the cheaper northern one".

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I think the word Rugby is by most metrics a problem for the sport commercially now. As much as we think it means "the good one", for most people and businesses, if they even know there is a difference, it denotes "the cheaper northern one".

League in isolation is far worse.

It's fine. I'm OK with short and snappy as tbh, it's not like we ever use the launch videos as a running theme throughout the year. 

It's to the point, and tells us clearly when it starts. 

I'm not a fan of us calling the sport League, but I do see problems with the word Rugby. But as things stand, the sport is Rugby League and we should use that, it wouldn't have changed the ad. Its clearly been copied from Aus. 

11 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I broadly agree. But we either call our sport by its name or change the name. Which I'm not against tbh, for the reasons you highlight. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Archie Gordon said:

If we're surrendering the word rugby, I'm annoyed. League might mean something in Aus/NZ but it's effectively a complete rebrand in the UK.

And if you were doing a complete rebrand it shouldn't be to a completely meaningless, generic word like League,  which to most people is simply a type of sports competition and which is used by all sports.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I broadly agree. But we either call our sport by its name or change the name. Which I'm not against tbh, for the reasons you highlight. 

They had "League on 4" last year for Channel 4, perhaps this is a continuation of that. Likewise, Super League for over a quarter of a century hasn't had Rugby in its name, nor has the Challenge Cup consistently in its branding. 

I think we'll get our annual reminder for why "Rugby" is a problem for us in the digital age across every weekend for the next few weeks.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

They had "League on 4" last year for Channel 4, perhaps this is a continuation of that. Likewise, Super League for over a quarter of a century hasn't had Rugby in its name, nor has the Challenge Cup consistently in its branding. 

I think we'll get our annual reminder for why "Rugby" is a problem for us in the digital age across every weekend for the next few weeks.

I'm OK with using Super League. I don't think the comp name needs the sport to be named in it. Plenty don't. 

But they are clearly calling the sport League, and for me, we either go all in or that, or we don't do it. We don't do it because somebody has heard some Aussies say it, which I expect is the reason here. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Jughead said:

That’s the name of the competition. That’s pretty standard for an advert. League is a generic, meaningless word in isolation. 

It's being copied from Oz, where they love using nicknames for things. League or footy is used far more than Rugby League. That isn't the same here. I've literally never called the sport League, possibly apart from an in depth discussion where Rugby League has already been highlighted. 

I feel like this is the right thread to complain about the Big Dance nickname again too, which is one of the most cringey things I've heard. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I don't disagree that it is no better particularly, just saying why Rugby won't feature prominently.

Rugby doesn't need to feature prominently. It just needs to be used in conjunction with League as that is the name of the sport.

It’s just a snippet, from a longer vid. Take a breath I reckon. Channels, frequency, media and audience targeting are more important than creative anyway. 

• Like 1

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

You know what, having watched the clip, I actually don't mind them just calling it League.

When you've got visuals, it being rugby is a given - you can literally see rugby being played.

So using 'This is League' as a snappy way of identifying ourselves actually worked for me, to my surprise. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

It’s just a snippet, from a longer vid. Take a breath I reckon. Channels, frequency, media and audience targeting are more important than creative anyway. 

That's all fine, but that's not really what the discussion is addressing. It's about calling the sport League. Which nobody I know does.