There’s Nothing Like League

On 03/02/2023 at 11:15, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

Are we talking about the same photo? This one?

James Child's son looks on as he referees the Challenge Cup semi-final in 2022

What a bizarre thing to post. Revenge?? The fact that came in to your head says far more about you than it does about me.

Only to people who are already rugby league fans. You can't even see the posts properly. There's no action on the pitch. The uninitiated wouldn't even know it was rugby, let alone rugby league. Without knowing the context, it's just a photo of a kid looking at a football stadium. 

OIP.jpg.6509406e41c531830c32d547097359a9.jpg

31 minutes ago, Oxford said:

We'll never know will we !

It's far too difficult  getting material past the TGG Police to try it on a wider audience.

The Northern Board of Censors, Denouncers, Purgers and Red Pencil Users rates this product Null and Void.

I'm not overly sure why you think it would be?

What's the narrative of the image that sells RL to a wider audience.

The thing about that particular photo is that it just isn't very good for what was proposed. People have explained why so little point repeating that. If you wanted an image of the same vain it could be professionally done much, much better than that.

3 hours ago, Oxford said:

Here's the link just scroll down to the presentation pack

https://www.collectgbstamps.co.uk/explore/issues/?issue=202

Mornin' FI!

Good morning (afternoon). It's an insult isn't it?

Many and varied are the ways of the Dark Side. 

1 hour ago, fighting irish said:

Good morning (afternoon). It's an insult isn't it?

There are many on here who think the dark side does not get up to stuff anymore and we're all sporting friends and even those in charge who think it's the chip on your shoulder that causes the probelms. But neither of these two groups is as deluded as the ones who think TGG and K&C are similar or comparable.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

4 hours ago, Oxford said:

If so John, it would hardly scream ambition or progress in any sense of the words.

My point being that for that purpose, it would need to. 

Ambition and progress would figure in a campaign to get into the news and sporting media minds, though. 

4 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

I'm not overly sure why you think it would be?

What's the narrative of the image that sells RL to a wider audience.

I really really think you don't to debate this Chris.

3 hours ago, Damien said:

The thing about that particular photo is that it just isn't very good for what was proposed. People have explained why so little point repeating that. If you wanted an image of the same vain it could be professionally done much, much better than that.

And It's quite clear you don't

I will say again give us yours then everyone put your money where .......

6 minutes ago, Oxford said:

What’s the debate you’re after?

The photo you keep going on about is not a very good photo to sell RL, not sure what more you want people to say. And as ive said no one photo can do that job.

Edited by Chrispmartha
  • Like 1

I think it is worth checking at this point.

Did you take that photo @Oxford?

• Haha 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

54 minutes ago, Oxford said:

You gave your opinion on a photo and can't take the fact that others disagree. It is not up to others to give an alternative photo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chrispmartha said:

What’s the debate you’re after?

The photo you keep going on about is not a very good photo to sell RL, not sure what more you want people to say. And as ive said no one photo can do that job.

I don't keep going on about it Chris and if you don't want to discuss things ....don't.

15 minutes ago, Damien said:

You gave your opinion on a photo and can't take the fact that others disagree. It is not up to others to give an alternative photo.

No it's not up to others but very telling for one reason or another that they don't.

I didn't and still don't expect people to produce a photo too many CBAs for that to happen.

If I couldn't take people disagreeing I hardly think I'd be appearing on here, do you  Damien?

4 hours ago, fighting irish said:

Having said that, there's a bit of a dark side on here, isn't there?

9 minutes ago, Oxford said:

Having said that, there's a bit of a dark side on here, isn't there?

People are just disagreeing with you about how effective an image would be in helping to market Rugby League.

Let's not make it out as anything sinister.

• Like 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

On 01/02/2023 at 18:29, DI Keith Fowler said:

another IMG production.

Are they IMG produced?

I haven't seen the C4 one is it longer than the other one?

13 minutes ago, Oxford said:

Are they IMG produced?

I haven't seen the C4 one is it longer than the other one?

They are, I think the initial video is a teaser and there'll be a full 30 second one within a week of the season starting. I hope so anyway. 

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

21 minutes ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

They are, I think the initial video is a teaser and there'll be a full 30 second one within a week of the season starting. I hope so anyway. 

Thanks for that

I'd be interested to know what you think of them.

I've been reading this thread as an outsider and it's pretty bizarre for sure. 

One poster suggested that a pic should be used as an illustration of how RL was great. That's his opinion and he's entitled to it. 

However, the pic was so random it's untrue. It's a nice enough pic for the parents or grandparents maybe ("Awww look at young James at the cup final" type thing) but it's impossible to tell that it's a RL game and most people would just assume it was football anyway as it looks like Spurs ground? And as if kids don't go to football too. 

But then, the poster starts berating people for not agreeing with him (in a obfuscated way naturally)and not only questioning their loyalty to RL but hinting at being RU spies? I mean seriously, WTF is going on? 

It's fairly straightforward; it's a nice pic, especially for any family concerned but as a selling point for RL? Practically irrelevant. Any such pic would surely have at least some references to the actual game in question. Truly bizarre.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, The Masked Poster said:

One poster suggested that a pic should be used as an illustration of how RL was great. That's his opinion and he's entitled to it. 

However, the pic was so random it's untrue. It's a nice enough pic for the parents or grandparents maybe ("Awww look at young James at the cup final" type thing) but it's impossible to tell that it's a RL game and most people would just assume it was football anyway as it looks like Spurs ground? And as if kids don't go to football too. 

But then, the poster starts berating people for not agreeing with him (in a obfuscated way naturally)and not only questioning their loyalty to RL but hinting at being RU spies? I mean seriously, WTF is going on? 

It's fairly straightforward; it's a nice pic, especially for any family concerned but as a selling point for RL? Practically irrelevant. Any such pic would surely have at least some references to the actual game in question. Truly bizarre.

Ii was more concerning that apparently not thinking it is a good picture for RL means that you must hold some other 'views' as the reason for the dislike.

I wonder what 'views' he was insinuating some posters hold ...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Click said:

Ii was more concerning that apparently not thinking it is a good picture for RL means that you must hold some other 'views' as the reason for the dislike.

I wonder what 'views' he was insinuating some posters hold ...

I don't know and it is all so unnecessary. People have different opinions, who knew? No need to start claiming victimhood just because others (rightly) point out that, actually, it is not a recognisable picture of a RL match or event - or anything even. 

As for compelling people to offer their own versions, again bizarre and I'd say, borderline bullying. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, The Masked Poster said:

I started writing something, but then thought, nah. 

Just now, fighting irish said:

I didn't start writing something but then thought the gang's all here!

Afternoon FI! The views lovely from here isn't it?

Just now, Oxford said:

I didn't start writing something but then thought the gang's all here!

Afternoon FI! The views lovely from here isn't it?

Hiya mate.

I don't know about the dark side, but the clouds are gathering.

There's an old irish saying, ''if at first you don't succeed, f.....k 'em.''

Keep your chin up, my friend.

Keep fighting the good fight.

2 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

Keep fighting the good fight.

Up until a little while ago I had no one in ignore though I did say it was a good way to sort it if you were having difficulties.

600% increase since then which blows a hole in my argument that all opinions are welcome but I have to clear the decks some how.

FI There's nothing Like League and we've just had the most inclusive WC ever

I'll be going to watch TO in Newcastle and York neither are far from me now.

IMG have their work cut out for them no matter what.

19 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

I too started writing something but thought, nah. Then changed my mind. 

There is absolutely no need whatsoever for your use of the phrase "f___ 'em". You and the other poster are trying to create a narrative of being picked on when all that is happening is that people don't agree that this picture was any good as a symbol of Rugby League. 

The rest is just paranoid insulting ramblings. I bid you good day sir. 

• Like 3