There’s Nothing Like League

36 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Do you work in a marketing and promotional role?

We're here as posters not as experts though there are a few that claim to be.

And I'm not altogether sure why that would be relevant.

The debate was about using images to market and that immediately brought out a question of opposing tastes but not how we might use that kind of image or even alternatives to spread the gospel.

It may be that such images might sell to the audience that barely knows we exist in the first place than all those ones that apparently scream Rugby League.

• Like 1

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

6 minutes ago, Oxford said:

We're here as posters not as experts though there are a few that claim to be.

And I'm not altogether sure why that would be relevant.

The debate was about using images to market and that immediately brought out a question of opposing tastes but not how we might use that kind of image or even alternatives to spread the gospel.

It may be that such images might sell to the audience that barely knows we exist in the first place than all those ones that apparently scream Rugby League.

The reason why it is relevant is that you said that you were "pleased as punch posters don't work in the promotion, marketing and selling unit of TGG."

So, I thought you had some insight into what was effective marketing and promotional materials.

You said the image of a child looking out through that screen at one of our events could provide a really good focal point for selling our game.  I think that the image of a child looking at an empty stadium with nothing happening on a pitch which isn't even obviously a Rugby League one is a poor focal point for selling our game.

I am happy to disagree on this as neither of us are experts.  What I do take exception to though is the statement that such a reaction is a negative one.  Surely wanting the best promotional content for our sport is a positive outlook, not a negative one.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

23 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

The reason why it is relevant is that you said that you were "pleased as punch posters don't work in the promotion, marketing and selling unit of TGG."

So, I thought you had some insight into what was effective marketing and promotional materials.

You said the image of a child looking out through that screen at one of our events could provide a really good focal point for selling our game.  I think that the image of a child looking at an empty stadium with nothing happening on a pitch which isn't even obviously a Rugby League one is a poor focal point for selling our game.

I am happy to disagree on this as neither of us are experts.  What I do take exception to though is the statement that such a reaction is a negative one.  Surely wanting the best promotional content for our sport is a positive outlook, not a negative one.

You do see that I was generalising and you're not Dunbar. If you think about the image as a catalyst rather that the actual it might help. And it is what I said and proposed from the start.

" What I do take exception to though is the statement that such a reaction is a negative one."

I think you need to look at what I posted rather than react to the word "negative". Quite a few posters took great umbridge over a nice photo being suggested as a nice type of image for RL to make use of as an ald and all that came out was there's no RL in the photo, and such reactions are not positive, missed the point and talk about only what was missing.

Unfortunately that's more common than not.

2 minutes ago, Oxford said:

You do see that I was generalising and you're not Dunbar. If you think about the image as a catalyst rather that the actual it might help. And it is what I said and proposed from the start.

" What I do take exception to though is the statement that such a reaction is a negative one."

I think you need to look at what I posted rather than react to the word "negative". Quite a few posters took great umbridge over a nice photo being suggested as a nice type of image for RL to make use of as an ald and all that came out was there's no RL in the photo, and such reactions are not positive, missed the point and talk about only what was missing.

Unfortunately that's more common than not.

If someone disagrees with you, it may not be because they have missed the point.  It may be just that they disagree with you.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Just now, Dunbar said:

If someone disagrees with you, it may not be because they have missed the point.  It may be just that they disagree with you.

Okay, one last time Dunbar the point was missed that the Photo was more a muse and so criticisng that actual photo missed the point. Again and again and again.

And in spite of all the posts saying so.

And I don't bother about disagreement and to not expect it on a TGG forum would be a bit dateless.

6 minutes ago, Oxford said:

Okay, one last time Dunbar the point was missed that the Photo was more a muse and so criticisng that actual photo missed the point. Again and again and again.

And in spite of all the posts saying so.

And I don't bother about disagreement and to not expect it on a TGG forum would be a bit dateless.

In which case, you should have been far more clear when you wrote your first post.

If people read "I put this link in  a thread about gay people in our game but look at the photo in this for a superb image for RL to sell itself." as a view that the actual photo was one to use then I wouldn't blame them.  Because that is what you said.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

In which case, you should have been far more clear when you wrote your first post.

If people read "I put this link in  a thread about gay people in our game but look at the photo in this for a superb image for RL to sell itself." as a view that the actual photo was one to use then I wouldn't blame them.  Because that is what you said.

I'm so glad to see you make the point for me.

You agreed with them so you wouldn't blame them, and " as an image to sell itself" !!!!!

I realised that it would take a bit of a leap but obviously it was abit too far.

30 minutes ago, Oxford said:

I'm so glad to see you make the point for me.

You agreed with them so you wouldn't blame them, and " as an image to sell itself" !!!!!

I realised that it would take a bit of a leap but obviously it was abit too far.

I have thought up a system we can use.

If you write something and you want us to understand that you mean it, then use a normal font.

but if you write something and you don't expect us to take it as you write it, and it just a musing, then you  an use italics.  How does that work?

Edited by Dunbar

20 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I have thought up a system we can use.

If you write something and you want us to understand that you mean it, then use a normal font.

but if you write something and you don't expect us to take it as you write it, and it just a musing, then you  an use italics.  How does that work?

Oh dear, I'm starting to think that fighting irish was right!

• Haha 1

I'm watching Albi V Salon now while typing this and it struck me that much had been made of images that shouted RL.

But hasn't that been more or less all the efforts in the entire history of the Sport?

From the imaginary impressive to more realistic adverts they've all featured player, training and match highlights. So what would make it different, imaginative but more importantly captivating?

I think captivating is where we'll need to aim to widen our appeal.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Oxford said:

I'm watching Albi V Salon now while typing this and it struck me that much had been made of images that shouted RL.

But hasn't that been more or less all the efforts in the entire history of the Sport?

From the imaginary impressive to more realistic adverts they've all featured player, training and match highlights. So what would make it different, imaginative but more importantly captivating?

I think captivating is where we'll need to aim to widen our appeal.

It's futile though when compared to the numbers of bums on seats that union gets even when the action on field is second rate. 

4 hours ago, Tippytoe said:

It's futile though when compared to the numbers of bums on seats that union gets even when the action on field is second rate. 

Unless you're Borg nothing is futile. And you have to remember for the whole of it's history, if nothing else K&C has had the complete support of the mainstream legacy media and at the same time we've been the Cheshire Cat on those same pages disappearing bit by by bit. And still there are people on these pages who say that's either more or less what or even far more than we deserve.

Edited by Oxford
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Dunbar said:

What an interesting conversation and amazing that the discussion about the use of a photo in the promotion of Rugby League can bring out such emotion.

For what it's worth, my view is that it is not a good image to use for the promotion of our game.

(Before I say anything else, when the context of the photo is known, it is a wonderful image for all those involved in our sport... brought a lump to my throat when I saw it in the original thread).

But, as an image to promote the game.

1. There is actually nothing happening on the pitch. Surely that is box number 1 to tick if we are going for the 'young child in awe of the sport' look.

2. The stadium is pretty much empty.  Yes, we obsess too much about attendances and empty seats but if we are in a position to actually choose promotional images then we would go with a packed stadium wouldn't we?

3. Nobody would even know what sport it is.  No posts are visible and sorry, but the idea of people identifying it as Rugby League by the pitch markings is bizzare.  One, aren't we trying to attract new fans, not those who know what an empty Rugby League pitch looks like. And two, I would suggest with the 10m lines, most people would guess NFL.

But apart from all that, a really nice picture. 

Yawn

32 minutes ago, Oxford said:

Unless you're Borg nothing is futile. And you have to remember for the whole of it's history, if nothing else K&C has had the complete support of the mainstream legacy media and at the same time we've been the Cheshire Cat on those same pages disappearing bit by by bit. And still there are people on these pages who say that's either more or less or even far more than we deserve.

And by your reckoning the boy looking at the empty field will be the catalyst to kick start the upturn of the media mainstream.

1 hour ago, Oxford said:

Oh dear, I'm starting to think that fighting irish was right!

I think that there's a lot of hidden resentment amongst some posters here.

It becomes evident when they react in ways totally disproportionate to the original posters frivolous comments.

It's ''payback time'' so look out!

Then they take this ''golden'' opportunity to bring their grudge to bear, with as much weight as they can muster, in the faint hope of salving their bruised ego's.

Hell hath no fury like a(n arrogant) buffoon outwitted. 

24 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

It becomes evident when they react in ways totally disproportionate to the original posters frivolous comments.

Then they take this ''golden'' opportunity to bring their grudge to bear, with as much weight as they can muster, in the faint hope of salving their bruised ego's.

If you are talking about me here then I have no idea why I have brought about this wrath.  I have simply presented my thoughts on the subject and then defended myself against accusations of being negative to our sport.

If you consider me to be an arrogant buffoon then let's not have any more interaction on here shall we.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, fighting irish said:

I did feel that no matter what I said or how I responded it would deliver more of the same, sadly.

Though back to the discussion I've just remembered that every imaginative advert/promo has been given the rounds of the kitchen on RL forums so maybe I shouldn't be so surprised by the reaction this time.

31 minutes ago, Oxford said:

I did feel that no matter what I said or how I responded it would deliver more of the same, sadly.

Though back to the discussion I've just remembered that every imaginative advert/promo has been given the rounds of the kitchen on RL forums so maybe I shouldn't be so surprised by the reaction this time.

I think the anonymity emboldens some, enabling them to behave in ways, they'd never dare to, face to face.

I'm sure we said enough (about the image) to counter all the irrational facile attacks so I don't feel the need to repeat them. I think their mealy mouthed objections were pathetic, insubstantial and reeked of rancour.

I'll not say it to them, there's no dividend in it, but (obviously) the reason there were no players on the field, is because the pic was taken before kick-off. The reason the stands were sparsely populated was that it was pre-kick-off.

That didn't make it any less a Rugby League event.

Neither of us suggested the image be used in isolation (without supplementary commentary, imagery or soundtrack) but that fact was completely ignored (in a tawdry attempt to conceal the silliness of their arguments). My involvement in this was never about the difference of opinion about the value of the image (their entitled to their opinion), it was about their eagerness to get stuck in with pedantic nit-picking minutiae and put the boot in. 

On the upside, the picture made me feel good. I'm glad James Childs made it public.

It spoke to me, saying that our premier events, in our finest stadia, have to capacity to inspire awe in a beautiful young child and that our game appeals to young and old alike.

That's a message I think, is worth broadcasting far and wide.

I'm sure you must have upset them (maybe more than once) in the past with your outspoken attitude? LOL. 

Anyway f......k 'em. 

Edited by fighting irish
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

On the upside, the picture made me feel good. I'm glad James Childs made it public.

Me too and I hesitate to say but James Child's child said "There's Nothing Like League!" to me.

And I almost placed it with a speech bubble saying "Blow That Whistle REF!"

• Like 1

13 hours ago, fighting irish said:

when they react in ways totally disproportionate to the original posters frivolous comments.

10 hours ago, fighting irish said:

I think their mealy mouthed objections were pathetic, insubstantial and reeked of rancour.

Anyway f......k 'em. 

Good to see posters who don't over react and stay level headed.

• Haha 8

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 hours ago, gingerjon said:

One things for sure.  They really really like that picture don't they.

• Haha 6

17 hours ago, Tippytoe said:

And by your reckoning the boy looking at the empty field will be the catalyst to kick start the upturn of the media mainstream.

Now Tippy that theme has been done to death and we all need to move away from issue.

4 hours ago, gingerjon said:

I think losing patience is hardly surprising but it's also amazing how often stuff that causes it either goes unremarked or is even cheered on.

BUT to take the thread where it should be:

Where are the images people think would work and what are they?

This should be interesting ......

9 hours ago, gingerjon said:

I'll make one last attempt although I'm fairly sure I'm wasting my time. I liked the picture, you didn't. Ok no problem.

What drew me into the fray was the way you took up the opposing position on a subject which is completely inconsequential and zealously persisted with your line of argument, not just once, but repeatedly, time and again insisting that you were right and Oxy was wrong.

I asked you (your little group) to answer a number of specific questions, which you completely ignored (because honest answers would have undermined your position) and merely repeated your previous line of argument. That's not debate. 

My personal opinion is that your behaviour, and your attitude to this issue was tantamount to bullying. Your insistence that you were right and he was wrong (as if the issue was a matter of objective fact, rather than an entirely subjective difference of opinion) was heavy handed, to say the least.

Your 'tone' was condescending and braggadocious and in my estimation entirely disproportionate to the issue at hand. He made repeated attempts to minimise the ''argument'' (to return to some sense of proportionality) but you and your cronies wouldn't let it lie. (Get a life!)

You've all championed various woke agenda's in the past, but in this instance you've shown your true colours. 

I don't care whether you like the picture or not, but I can't abide a bully, so stand by.

Next time you try to bully someone, expect a robust response.